Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Simon Phillips (@SiPhillipsSport) Tweeted:
Barcelona goalkeeper Ter Stegen has been approached by Chelsea and Bayern Munich, according to Spanish Radio station Cadena Ser.

https://t.co/Il8qxMYWBG
 

Oblak is the dream but he’s so expensive. Which goalkeeper would you go for, Oblak, Ter Stegen, Onana, etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ter Stegen looks really good. I just checked and he is almost the same height as the Kepa. That concerns me. I have no idea how good he is in the box but if we buy a similar keeper we will shoot us in the leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would still go for Oblak out of the 3 just because of how commanding he looks. Even if we dont change our defence much, he will definitely give our current CB's a kick up the backside that I cant see the others or Kepa doing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say Onana for the simple reason of price, Ter Stegen and Oblak are more proven, but they will be insanely pricey. Not to mention we need to fortify the 4 in front of them or any keeper will look trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, evissy said:

Ter Stegen looks really good. I just checked and he is almost the same height as the Kepa. That concerns me. I have no idea how good he is in the box but if we buy a similar keeper we will shoot us in the leg.

Oblak is the same height as ter Stegen. I found that interesting considering Kepa is only an inch shorter than them and could very well still have a longer reach. Just something to think about for those posturing for Oblak, as he’s really not that big.

I think we shouldn’t worry about height and size as much. Sometimes ability to dominate the box just requires physicality and I think that’s where Kepa really falls short - he’s pretty soft. At essentially the same size as Kepa, Oblak and ter Stegen are more physical and just want it more. That’s the big difference in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So ... one of Oblak, ter Stegen, Henderson, Onana, Pope, Donnarumma or Cakir .. or something out of left field from Petr Cech perhaps ... with so many (on face value) decent options, it beggers belief that we ended up with Kepa the last time we had to find a goalkeeper ...

I'd still quite like to re-sign Bulka myself ...

Edited by Sexyfootball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me Oblak is a dream. So we can discount him entirely. Worth every penny but we won’t pay that.

I’d be asking why Barca are willing to let Ter Stegen go.

Onana for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Havertz, Onana and Tagliafico look the most likely signings to me for AM, GK and LB... and then whatever it takes for Frank's preferred centre back, which I suspect might be young Declan Rice ...

Edited by Sexyfootball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Frawdulant said:

For me Oblak is a dream. So we can discount him entirely. Worth every penny but we won’t pay that.

I’d be asking why Barca are willing to let Ter Stegen go.

Onana for me.

It’s something to do with his contract, think he wants to be paid the same as Barcelona’s best players.

I mean, Barcelona aren’t known for their defence and Ter Stegen still did a great job, makes me think he’ll do alright here with our leaky defence.

Oblak on the other hand, is in a team with possibly the best defence in the world. Who knows how he would do here.

If I had to go for someone I would say Ter Stegen is the safest bet but hopefully Cech will find someone, someone who isn’t known as one of the world’s best yet. For example Ter Stegen before he joined Barcelona.

I know we tried that with Kepa but man, we’ve left ourselves in a mess with the Courtois situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zeta said:

Isn't he first choice at Barcelona? Why would they sell?

They are skint, they've basically put 1/2 of their squad up for sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really like Onana. 

I think his distribution is everything you would expect from a Barcelona youth player, and current Ajax keeper. 

Shot stopping is very impressive, acrobatic, strong wrist, might need to improve positioning.

Very aggressive off his line which should stand him in good stead to improve on how he deals with crosses. 

24 years old, and €30m, seems like the lerfect option for me. 

Ter stegen and Oblak will eat up the budget, Donnarumma comes with Raiola shaped baggage.

Pope and Henderson are untested at the top of the game, and are more expensive. 

Onana all day for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how reliable whoscored are with their stats but they're saying he not good at catching crosses and long passing.  Now I've not seen much of Onana so I can only really go off what others say, but if that's true then I'm not sure if he's the goalkeeper for us.  Our current defence needs a keeper that will command the box and claim every ball that they can.  

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 19.47.40.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DarkMata said:

I don't know how reliable whoscored are with their stats but they're saying he not good at catching crosses and long passing.  Now I've not seen much of Onana so I can only really go off what others say, but if that's true then I'm not sure if he's the goalkeeper for us.  Our current defence needs a keeper that will command the box and claim every ball that they can.  

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 19.47.40.png

I'm not as concerned about long passing when we seem to play out the back anyway.  The catching crosses is a concern though, as from what I can remember he comes out for crosses but punches them away... don't take that from me as gospel, just my interpretation from what I've seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mad_mac said:

I'm not as concerned about long passing when we seem to play out the back anyway.  The catching crosses is a concern though, as from what I can remember he comes out for crosses but punches them away... don't take that from me as gospel, just my interpretation from what I've seen

Yeah I find it hard to make an opinion on goalkeepers without seeing them week in and week out.  Sometimes not noticing the goalkeeper is sometimes a good think and means they're doing their job correctly.  Wild punches and rushing out at the wrong time is not the kind of goalkeeper I would like, reliable and dependable please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like him, but I thought I'd seen reports he had an injury that might need surgery at the end of the season, with a recovery time of 3-4 months? Signing him won't do us much good right away in that case, but that doesn't seem to be getting mentioned so maybe it's wrong/we'd be happy to wait for the long term benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DarkMata said:

I don't know how reliable whoscored are with their stats but they're saying he not good at catching crosses and long passing.  Now I've not seen much of Onana so I can only really go off what others say, but if that's true then I'm not sure if he's the goalkeeper for us.  Our current defence needs a keeper that will command the box and claim every ball that they can.  

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 19.47.40.png

I also don't know how reliable they are. But it is fun to compare. 
Let's put all the potential names next to eachother. 
And to make it complete our own 2 heroes. (I expected the only strenghts for Kepa to be Managing and Freezing, but I was wrong). 
image.png.ea9e9849a425340412fbf650d4173eed.png

image.png.d48338acd4629a99f333205873c39f7a.pngimage.png.4d37836a8203c4dcf2585590728bd46b.pngimage.png.6b2d38ed766165ca31af14a6aa4789de.pngimage.png.606287a15a425b431ffce43ed96cae9f.pngimage.png.4e94381ed22c246a828a33dd9427968e.pngimage.png.fd2084341c4bc769cd50d330f1d60d08.png



 

Edited by Night-T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

Oblak is the same height as ter Stegen. I found that interesting considering Kepa is only an inch shorter than them and could very well still have a longer reach. Just something to think about for those posturing for Oblak, as he’s really not that big.

I think we shouldn’t worry about height and size as much. Sometimes ability to dominate the box just requires physicality and I think that’s where Kepa really falls short - he’s pretty soft. At essentially the same size as Kepa, Oblak and ter Stegen are more physical and just want it more. That’s the big difference in my opinion.

Kepa is like a GK version of Morata... Just way too soft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, big blue said:

Really like Onana. 

I think his distribution is everything you would expect from a Barcelona youth player, and current Ajax keeper. 

Shot stopping is very impressive, acrobatic, strong wrist, might need to improve positioning.

Very aggressive off his line which should stand him in good stead to improve on how he deals with crosses. 

24 years old, and €30m, seems like the lerfect option for me. 

Ter stegen and Oblak will eat up the budget, Donnarumma comes with Raiola shaped baggage.

Pope and Henderson are untested at the top of the game, and are more expensive. 

Onana all day for me.

Can't really argue with this reasoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, big blue said:

Really like Onana. 

I think his distribution is everything you would expect from a Barcelona youth player, and current Ajax keeper. 

Shot stopping is very impressive, acrobatic, strong wrist, might need to improve positioning.

Very aggressive off his line which should stand him in good stead to improve on how he deals with crosses. 

24 years old, and €30m, seems like the lerfect option for me. 

Ter stegen and Oblak will eat up the budget, Donnarumma comes with Raiola shaped baggage.

Pope and Henderson are untested at the top of the game, and are more expensive. 

Onana all day for me.

Onana parries everything in a really awkward fashion, we'll concede a lot of goals from rebounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Droopy said:

Just as long as we sign a replacement for Kepa I'm good.

That's how we ended up in this mess in the first place. We looked for anyone decent to replace the snake and we got Kepa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...