Are we THE favourites this season?

I think, for the first time I can ever recall, that we might be viewed as the favorites in any competition we play in this season.  From League Cup to Champions League.   I know we've been heavy favorites in the league and what not, but I cant recall a beginning of a season where we may very likely have been viewed not just as the reigning Champions of Europe, but the favorites to win it (and all else).  I want to be clear and speak to the fact of how we're viewed now, and not that we are bang on to win it....favourites more often than not don't, as we well know having knocked a few of them out.......but based on expectation alone.....where do you think we are?  Who do you think are favorites if not us?

I do believe, for the first time every, that on the back of last seasons success and our addition this summer ......we just may be THE team to beat in all of Europe this season.  Not by miles, but edging it over Bayern, having shown what we can do to City without a 9 like Lukaku, and with the two Spanish clubs in decline.

Edited by Barry Bridges

I think so, this is the first time in I don’t know how long that I’ve felt we could actually win all of the competitions we’re in. Our depth is top class and we might even possibly be adding to that.

As you said, with both of the Spanish teams in decline it certainly elevates us, but you’ve missed off PSG among the teams to beat, on paper they’re certainly the strongest 11 in the world, but can they put it all together in reality? We’ll see.

PSG are CL favorites and I expect the betting will reflect that. 

Best keeper in the world, adding Ramos to lead them and Messi. Heavy favorites. Be a major, epic failure if they dont win the next 2 CL.

Far as the English competitions go, as good as it was to see Rom do so well it was only Arsenal, and only 2 wins. Still a lot to do to be considered favorites ahead of Liverpool and City imo, though it would be appauling to be beneath United given the vast difference of quality in the managers.

Edited by axman2526

I think we have the best squad depth and are in good form as well. Liverpool have a good first 11 but lack depth, City have quality and depth but are missing a crucial piece of the puzzle which is a striker and it's not guaranteed that they'll get Kane.

As it stands on paper we probably are the favourites for the PL.

Two games in and we are already talking about this... 😂

I would go with Tuchel. We were fourth. We want to close the gap. 3rd, 2nd are great as long as we are in arms length of the champion if we are not it. 

I don’t think we’re favourites just yet, certainly not for the league. I think that title is still firmly with City. Despite recent results I always go in to the big games with more fear than optimism. Maybe that’s just me as since Tuchel joined he hasn’t given me any reason to doubt. If we beat Liverpool, City and Spurs within our next few games then I think we can be called favourites. As far as champions league goes… anything can happen 

Manchester City have got to be favourites. They were comfortable winners last year and if/when they sign a new centre forward whether that's Kane or anyone else then there's so much quality and depth in their squad it's hard to look past them. 

Then us, Manchester United and Liverpool are probably viewed almost jointly as 2nd favourites. 

Champions League, I would assume PSG, City and Bayern Munich would be favourites. 

I think we'll have a good crack at both competitions but I don't think we're quite favourites. 

F* the favorite tag, all it takes is  lose a game or two and all the sudden we are the underachiever of the league. Favorite should be the team who actually won it recently, so I guess we are one of the favorites for the CL, but NOT the league.

Don't think so at all. If Liverpool players stay fit and City turns up this season as they usually do and we'll keep our composure it'll be a very narrow title chase imho - while ManUtd. could also be very annyoing up top. Depends a lot on possible key-injuries. And that Kepa shows up big time once Mendy takes his time off.

Yeah I'm not getting too carried away yet, the most important thing is to keep up the recent levels of performance and if possible step up to an even higher gear. The performance against Arsenal was by no means perfect.

Potential title winners maybe but, we need to kill off games we're winning much sooner. The longer we leave games at 1-0 or 2-0 it gives the opponents time and momentum to put us on the back foot like periods in the 2nd half last weekend.

The players are still getting used to Rom and there were a couple of times they could have played him for another goal and chose a different option.

For me it's all about the supporting cast up top, defence and the midfield I think will do its job enough to sustain a challenge.

Its whether the attackers can all pitch in enough with Lukaku. When we won in 14/15 and 16/17 Eden carried the burden alongside Diego. With Willian, Oscar and Fabergas (assists) playing supporting roles in Mourinho's side. Conte had Pedro and Willian to support Eden and Diego.

The point is for me, at least one of our forwards needs to have a Eden Hazard level of output (goals + assists) alongside a couple/few other attackers getting double digits in goals and assists. 

If we can do that and share the goal burden then yes we may be favourites.

Purely going off their previous domestic forms and tallies in other leagues. Timo could score 15+ in the league as could Kai. Hakim could get 15+ assists in the league. Mount could get double digits potentially and so could Pulisic if he stays fit. Alonso, Chilly B and James will all contribute out wide and may score a decent amount for defenders.

I think we are potentially the best team in Europe, but that doesn't mean we win the league. 

Best for me beats the best. The winner of the league is the team that can beat the most. I think city have the experience we don't have as a team to unpick the stubborn well drilled teams in the bottom half more consistently than us over the full season. 

I think we're going to have a great year, watch some great football and I would be surprised if we don't live some silverwear. But I wouldn't be surprised if we finish 3rd in the league. 

The team is viewed more favourably by the press, but whether we're outright favourites is another story.

In the Champions League, surely the addition of Messi means PSG are favourites to win it.

7 minutes ago, Jezz said:

The team is viewed more favourably by the press, but whether we're outright favourites is another story.

In the Champions League, surely the addition of Messi means PSG are favourites to win it.

Think the addition of donnarumma wijnaldon and Ramos might be more crucial there than Messi

But got to feel the team that beats PSG wins the thing. Surely. 

Forgot about PSG and their additions.  They had the talent for seasons, but the mentality was why I wrote them off.....those additions could change that factor.  I'd probably edge them ahead of us in the CL.

For the league I think we are one of the favorites given since TT took over only City has won more points, but they also got weaker imo (barring any incoming strikers) while we got stronger.

Anyways, exciting season ahead of us for sure regardless how it ends.

8 minutes ago, Barry Bridges said:

Forgot about PSG and their additions.  They had the talent for seasons, but the mentality was why I wrote them off.....those additions could change that factor.  I'd probably edge them ahead of us in the CL.

It takes more than just big names to make a team, PSG has tons of ego in their squad plus Pochettino and because of that they might find themselves in trouble as soon as some big team comes along.

16 hours ago, axman2526 said:

PSG are CL favorites and I expect the betting will reflect that. 

Best keeper in the world, adding Ramos to lead them and Messi. Heavy favorites. Be a major, epic failure if they dont win the next 2 CL.

Far as the English competitions go, as good as it was to see Rom do so well it was only Arsenal, and only 2 wins. Still a lot to do to be considered favorites ahead of Liverpool and City imo, though it would be appauling to be beneath United given the vast difference of quality in the managers.

Highly doubt that!