Summer Exodus. Should we do it?

loz

We are going to be in a difficult position thus summer. New owners, probably with a decent budget to spend but faced with the possibility/option to ship on a fairly large number of players.  However sometimes a massive turnover all at once can be problematic and it might be more savvy to consider next year as the first of a rebuilding transition. 

If you think of the number of players either out of contract, not really good enough for where Chelsea want to be or who may want to move on for the sake of their own career we could see all of these moving on. 

Kepa

Azpilicueta

Rudiger

Christensen

Sarr

Kenedy

Jorginho

Barkley

Cheek

Saul - ok only on loan anyway 

Odoi

Pulisic

Ziyech

Werner

Lukaku 

That's a sh*t load of players. Not saying they all will or that we would find buyers for all of them however an argument could be made for selling every one of them except Rudiger.

Would we really want a turnover so extreme in one window? I just don't see it happening so for me it's more of a two or three year rebuild.

The only players I can realistically see us "selling" are Werner and Kenedy. Werner has resale value and Kenedy on average wages. 

Lukaku : 325kpw

Sarr : 120kpw

RLC : 100-120kpw

Bakayoko : 110kpw

Batshuayi : 100kpw

Alonso : 100kpw

Barkley : 100kpw

That is a lot of average players on incredibly high wages. Hopefully this model of overpaying/over valuing players ends with new ownership. Drinkwater finally a free agent so that nightmare is over. 

Edited by Sconnie Blue

1 minute ago, Sconnie Blue said:

The only players I can realistically see us "selling" are Werner and Kenedy. Werner has resale value and Kenedy on average wages. 

Lukaku : 325kpw

Sarr : 120kpw

RLC : 100-120kpw

Bakayoko : 110kpw

Batshuayi : 100kpw

Alonso : 100kpw

Barkley : 100kpw

That is a lot of average players on incredibly high wages. Hopefully this model of overpaying/over valuing players ends with new ownership. Drinkwater finally a free agent so that nightmare is over. 

Forgot about Bakayoko and Batshuayi. Easily done in fairness!  

Yes the salary thing is a massive obstacle. You can see us getting mugged for more loan deals where we still pick up some of the wages.

I could see us letting Lukaku go for a massive discount. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Alonso and Jorginho stay unless offers come in for them. 

I see Werner is playing again and a good time too, as other clubs will soon be looking for new talent, I think we should move on if we can.

Pulisic and Odoi not playing enough or doing enough when fit, if we get offers let go.

Others will probably go on loan if TT or another new manager can't see a role for them.

55 minutes ago, loz said:

We are going to be in a difficult position thus summer. New owners, probably with a decent budget to spend but faced with the possibility/option to ship on a fairly large number of players.  However sometimes a massive turnover all at once can be problematic and it might be more savvy to consider next year as the first of a rebuilding transition. 

If you think of the number of players either out of contract, not really good enough for where Chelsea want to be or who may want to move on for the sake of their own career we could see all of these moving on. 

Kepa

Azpilicueta

Rudiger

Christensen

Sarr

Kenedy

Jorginho

Barkley

Cheek

Odoi

Pulisic

Ziyech

Werner

Lukaku 

That's a sh*t load of players. Not saying they all will or that we would find buyers for all of them however an argument could be made for selling every one of them except Rudiger.

Would we really want a turnover so extreme in one window? I just don't see it happening so for me it's more of a two or three year rebuild.

We make lists of players we would like to be sold every year :laugh2: Perhaps this time it's different when the new owners come in. What is nagging at me is how many quality players we can attract to replace them. Somehow we hardly ever seem to manage identifying and actually signing those. Losing even 50% of that list leaves a thin squad, would we be fine with filling it with promising academy players (returning from loans and/or straight from the youth team) and about 3 new signings? I'd vote for a 2-3 year rebuild as well. Cue the Transition excuse after a few disappointing performances, though :tongue:

Lukaku needs to go for sure, he just looks miserable playing for us and he's tarnished his rep with the fans with that stupid episode earlier in the season. I would sell CHO too if the offer came, I doubtful he will ever push it up a level to warrant a place in the first 11, happy to be proven wrong though. Then there's players like Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech who all blow hot and cold, I'm never quite sure if any of them are really good enough for us. I wouldn't be too sad to see any of them go really. There's a number of players in our squad who're not quite good enough to push us to a league title, but aren't specifically bad in general. I hope we sell some, and buy some, we need a little freshen up overall.

Ahh..this time of the year. The good ol' summer exodus. Have never happened. With the new ownership about to enter this sort of thing could happen but I feel the new owners won't do anything drastic. Why would they?

Would like to see a clear out. Just cut our losses and draw a line under. 

Ones I definitely don't see any need for at CFC next season:

Kenedy

Barkley

CHO

Jorginho

Kepa

Sarr

Saul

Bats & Baka 

Seems Christensen is set for Barca and can see Azpi leaving too (we MUST keep Rudiger - whatever the cost)

Then others, TT needs to have a look at them between now and start of next season and either keep or offload:

Lukaku

Werner

Ziyech

Pulicic

RLC

Ampadu

Feels like we say this every year and the questions of contracts comes up as we often pay better than the clubs that are after our players so little changes in a positive way.

Still we are even now we are still winning trophies.  🤔

15 hours ago, Nibs said:

Kenedy

Barkley

CHO

Jorginho

Kepa

Sarr

Saul

Bats & Baka 

Seems Christensen is set for Barca and can see Azpi leaving too (we MUST keep Rudiger - whatever the cost)

Then others, TT needs to have a look at them between now and start of next season and either keep or offload:

Lukaku

Werner

Ziyech

Pulicic

RLC

Ampadu

I keep forgetting we still got Ampadu. Being on two underwhelming loans (underwhelming as far as I can tell at least), perhaps we should keep him next season and see what's he's learned? If we really offload a truckload of players, we may have to hold on to him anyway as a squad filler.  

Hot take: I'm not really a fan of mass exoduses.

I personally don't think we need that much of an exodus anyways. We're still one of the best teams in europe and just need to replace some legs that are getting old and add a few players in some areas. I'd say bringing in around 4 players (From both transfers and our loan army) while allowing 4 to leave is a safe and reasonable number. 

Kepa                   Out on loan. Still a long time left on his contract. Not likely to find a buyer

Azpilicueta         Even though a one year extension has been triggered still won’t surprise me if he left. Hope not.

Rudiger               I suspect that all three potential owners will have talked to his representatives. I think he will sign a new deal

Christensen        Bye

Sarr                     Bye

Kenedy                Bye

Jorginho              Bye

Barkley                 Bye

Cheek                  Maybe at long last he is getting over that terrible injury

Odoi                    Needs to play far more regularly possibly needs a year out on loan but with the 5 sub rules will need a full and capable squad

Pulisic                 Will stay

Ziyech               Will stay

Werner               Need to cash in

Lukaku              Need to cash in

I will also add Kante alas I think his time is over

By my calculations that’s about 8/9 departures with three or four youngsters potentially returning and now looking to cement a place in the squad are we really in a position to bring in 4 or 5 ? 

I think these players are realistic outgoings from our current squad:

Kepa

Christensen

Jorginho

RLC

Lukaku

Barkley

Either Werner or Ziyech

The main position I don’t know who we will replace with is either Werner and/or Ziyech. I’m hopeful that we keep Colwill, Broja and Gallagher next season as ready made replacements for the outgoings, I don’t see any of other our loanees being kept in to be honest.

Edited by timetowaste

8 minutes ago, terraloon said:

Kepa                   Out on loan. Still a long time left on his contract. Not likely to find a buyer

Azpilicueta         Even though a one year extension has been triggered still won’t surprise me if he left. Hope not.

Rudiger               I suspect that all three potential owners will have talked to his representatives. I think he will sign a new deal

Christensen        Bye

Cheek                  Maybe at long last he is getting over that terrible injury

Odoi                    Needs to play far more regularly possibly needs a year out on loan but with the 5 sub rules will need a full and capable squad

By my calculations that’s about 8/9 departures with three or four youngsters potentially returning and now looking to cement a place in the squad are we really in a position to bring in 4 or 5 ? 

Completely forgot the 5 Sub Rule. Agree on your list bar two exceptions. 

I'd still loan out CHO for experience. Kante I say we extend 2 years. Hoping a long summer off gives him the rehabilitation he needs, and with Gallagher coming in we can use Kante sparingly for important occasions. 

Edited by Sconnie Blue

1 hour ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Completely forgot the 5 Sub Rule. Agree on your list bar two exceptions. 

I'd still loan out CHO for experience. Kante I say we extend 2 years. Hoping a long summer off gives him the rehabilitation he needs, and with Gallagher coming in we can use Kante sparingly for important occasions. 

The trouble as I see it with Kante is his agent will be looking for a big pay day and I just can’t see one being offered whereas the likes of PSG will.

The 22/23 season is going to take an horrendous toll on  international players.

The season starts on 6 August and will be halted 13 November after 16 league games.Between 6 September and 1 November there will be 6 CL games and 1 EFL cup game The players will join up with their international teams on 14 November

I believe that prior to the halt of the season there will be just one International break 19-27 September which will mean that no club games will be played during the period 19-30 September (12 days)

So in 105 days ( including 2 Internationals ) the likes of Kante could well be playing 16 league games, 6CL games, 1 EFL Cup game and 2 Internationals 25 games or one every 4 days. In the day he would eat that schedule but his body won’t get him close to that number of games.

My heart wants him to sign a new contract but my head tells me to get as much as you can for Kante, Jorginho and Berkley and look at a young midfielder such as Rice ( not  sure he is worth close to the numbers Moyes is saying ) but if that’s too rich then no doubt the club have other ideas as to who could join Gallagher as reinforcements 

Bit early for me, We wont find out what kind of kitty we have if at all until the clubs sale is done and dusted!

Having said that, Lukaku has to go for me, Azpi perhaps close to club great is probably off and has lost a yard, Defence needs investment, creative mid would be nice and a forward that can play with havertz and co

A few not sures like werner and pulisic

We should probably give Gallagher a fair crack at the whip in all!

2 hours ago, terraloon said:

Christensen        Bye

Agree with this. I would though temper expectations on the three likely youngsters to be added to the squad. All and that includes Gallagher, will find it hard making a mark in the squad. They are well versed in the expectations of the club, this though is a serious step up from where they are at present.

7 minutes ago, charierre said:

Agree with this. I would though temper expectations on the three likely youngsters to be added to the squad. All and that includes Gallagher, will find it hard making a mark in the squad. They are well versed in the expectations of the club, this though is a serious step up from where they are at present.

The five sub rule to a degree will afford more opportunities for younger players.

I personally think that we can be bold and integrate Gallagher and Broja and probably Ampadu. All three are now established internatonals and have had very decent loans at Palace, Southampton and Venezia respectively. 

There are a couple of others that have had very good loans such as Colwill and Mattensen others such as Gilbert not so 

On 18/04/2022 at 20:40, Nibs said:

Kenedy

Barkley

CHO

Jorginho

Kepa

Sarr

Saul

Bats & Baka 

Lukaku

Werner

Ziyech

Pulicic

RLC

Ampadu

No matter how many players we get rid of Bro', you are still not getting a game, unless its for United or Spurs 😉

Kepa - OUT

Azpilicueta - KEEP 

Rudiger KEEP AT ALL COSTS

Christensen OUT

Sarr OUT

Kenedy OUT

Jorginho OUT

Barkley OUT

Cheek KEEP

Saul - ok only on loan anyway  OUT

Odoi OUT

Pulisic KEEP

Ziyech KEEP

Werner KEEP

Lukaku OUT (I will pay his fare)

If I have my math correct, that is 9 players out, which I think with Gallagher, Broja and Gilmour coming back from loans, means a net 6 players moving. There are new rules on loans coming in, so there will be others released such as Drinkwater, Batshuayi, Bakayoko, Rahman, Miazga, Ampadu and Anjorin leaving the Club.  We will now need to balance the books rather than lose £millions and the squad has been far too big for far too long. Two or three real quality signings, will make the squad look balanced and very strong indeed.

I think we are going to struggle to offload players.

I think Saul will return to AM.

Christensen will leave.

Lukaku will likely go - big loss.

Jorginho might leave should an offer materialise.

That will probably then make us consider adding or reacquainting several to the loan army.

Edited by strider6004

1 hour ago, strider6004 said:

I think we are going to struggle to offload players.

I think Saul will return to AM.

Christensen will leave.

Lukaku will likely go - big loss.

Jorginho might leave should an offer materialise.

That will probably then make us consider adding or reacquainting several to the loan army.

The loan army is going to have to come to an end. New FIFA rules in place starting July, mean a maximum of 8 players loaned out. The law does not apply to U-21 players, but most of our driftwood players are probably going to count in that law. I believe currently we have at least 14 players over the age of 21 out on loan.