Who do you want next as manager?

Drogba1
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Who do you want to be the next manager?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as our next permanent manager?

This poll is closed to new votes

As the reports are indicating Nagelsmann remains front runner. Those in the know are claiming Julian is in love with the project and Vivell has been selling it to him for at least the past 3 weeks. 

He has strong support from the majority of the board, even if Madrid come knocking for him seems like we are his priority. Claimed he wants his next coaching destination to be EPL and he's already snubbed Spurs (hence their links to Enrique who may be interested assuming he doesn't get the role here). 

Like Enrique, Nagelsmann has had at least two meetings (only one face to face) with members of the board and will be given another opportunity to further sell himself to the Chelsea higher ups. Its believed he will present his in depth project ideas soon.  

Whilst it's all heresy if you watch the actions and not what's being said these are presumably the facts.

Nagelsmann is sacked and we sack Potter.

Nagelsmann won't take a new role until the summer, we won't hire until the summer. 

At least two members of our board have worked with Nagelsmann before and some for extended periods including 2 different club stints.

Nkunku is coming in and Nagelsmann has been credited with being one of the factors that helped him progress as a player.

He's a young project manager who presumably has the exact experience and profile we are looking for.

7 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

As the reports are indicating Nagelsmann remains front runner. Those in the know are claiming Julian is in love with the project and Vivell has been selling it to him for at least the past 3 weeks. 

He has strong support from the majority of the board, even if Madrid come knocking for him seems like we are his priority. Claimed he wants his next coaching destination to be EPL and he's already snubbed Spurs (hence their links to Enrique who may be interested assuming he doesn't get the role here). 

Like Enrique, Nagelsmann has had at least two meetings (only one face to face) with members of the board and will be given another opportunity to further sell himself to the Chelsea higher ups. Its believed he will present his in depth project ideas soon.  

Whilst it's all heresy if you watch the actions and not what's being said these are presumably the facts.

Nagelsmann is sacked and we sack Potter.

Nagelsmann won't take a new role until the summer, we won't hire until the summer. 

At least two members of our board have worked with Nagelsmann before and some for extended periods including 2 different club stints.

Nkunku is coming in and Nagelsmann has been credited with being one of the factors that helped him progress as a player.

He's a young project manager who presumably has the exact experience and profile we are looking for.

We are tired of young project managers! This isnt what Chelsea needs at this moment! Theres no structure to the club now. Experienced older father figure manager would be much better to sturdy the ship.

19 minutes ago, Edjmendy said:

We are tired of young project managers! This isnt what Chelsea needs at this moment! Theres no structure to the club now. Experienced older father figure manager would be much better to sturdy the ship.

Totally agree, said the same last week. Get back Jose or similar to apply a quick fix for a season or two! We’ll just be pissing in the wind trying new managers out otherwise at the moment!

9 minutes ago, Remodez said:

If we wanted another long term project in Nagelsmann we should have just waited it out with Potter. Shocked to hear Enrique is no longer in the running. 

Nagelsmann has a far better record than Potter, it took 3 seasons for Potter to take Brighton from 16th to 9th, Nagelsmann took Hoffenheim from the bottom of the table to top 4 in 1.5 years, 

Even more importantly, Nagelsmann's teams have a record for being free scoring sides, whereas Potter has always been a safety first manager when you look at his record. This team needs goals, our defense is decent enough, especially when we play 3-4-3. 

Edited by Drogba1

10 minutes ago, Mod said:

Totally agree, said the same last week. Get back Jose or similar to apply a quick fix for a season or two! We’ll just be pissing in the wind trying new managers out otherwise at the moment!

Sarri is doing better with Lazio than Mourinho is with Roma, despite having 1/10th of the budget and not having the likes of Dybala to call upon. 

Mourinho is still a good coach, but his tactics are nowhere near as effective as they used to be

4 minutes ago, Drogba1 said:

Mourinho is still a good coach, but his tactics are nowhere near as effective as they used to be

Definitely, but a tried and tested experience. If we need a quick fix to sort this club out (well at least for this team) then I think he’d be perfect. Plus, he could bring Tammy home. Jose isn’t a yes man though which the board seem to want!

15 minutes ago, Mod said:

So you spend £500m primarly on young players and then would like to appoint a coach who would rather play himself than give young players game time?

35 minutes ago, Edjmendy said:

Potter isn't even that young and Lampard was never going to work. I actually think AVB might have in a different time.

This screams similar of the stance of some United fans not naming any names Neville of "we tried winning managers it didn't work so we shouldn't again" to justify giving Ole longer.

Don't get me wrong Enrique is my first choice aswell but I'm not understanding the downplaying of Nagelsmann.

13 minutes ago, Sconnie Blue said:

This whole thing honestly just feels like filler until they get who they want which is Nagelsmann. 

I've said this from the beginning. It's all just fluff. We sacked Potter because Nagelsmann was available and we didn't want him to go to Spurs. 

2 minutes ago, Argo said:

Potter isn't even that young and Lampard was never going to work. I actually think AVB might have in a different time.

This screams similar of the stance of some United fans not naming any names Neville of "we tried winning managers it didn't work so we shouldn't again" to justify giving Ole longer.

Don't get me wrong Enrique is my first choice aswell but I'm not understanding the downplaying of Nagelsmann.

Honestly, the fact Potter was called by many as a 'top young coach' when he's literally only 2 years younger than Tuchel (with nowhere near the same record) just highlights how overhyped he was 

Edited by Drogba1

1 minute ago, SwedishEntity said:

So you spend £500m primarly on young players and then would like to appoint a coach who would rather play himself than give young players game time?

He wouldn’t have that choice, he’d have to build the team with the players available! It’s a bit different to the last times he was here, the younger players we have are far better.

Jose would fix this team, at least short term!

German league is a free-scoring league, if Lamps managed there his side would be free scoring as well.

Whoever comes in gets a bunch of players who cannot score, the lump returning as his main striker and his ego driven new side kick who, amptly, came here for the Sterling.

I say whoever, but it seems clear it will be Nagelsmann 

28 minutes ago, Drogba1 said:

Nagelsmann has a far better record than Potter, it took 3 seasons for Potter to take Brighton from 16th to 9th, Nagelsmann took Hoffenheim from the bottom of the table to top 4 in 1.5 years, 

Even more importantly, Nagelsmann's teams have a record for being free scoring sides, whereas Potter has always been a safety first manager when you look at his record. This team needs goals, our defense is decent enough, especially when we play 3-4-3. 

I'm not claiming Nagelsmann is a bad manager, like I said earlier in the thread I know very little about him. Wouldn't this be partly due to to the competitive nature of the Prem compared to the Bundesliga that's a lot more volatile outside of Bayern and Dortmund?

Quite frankly I never understood the desperation to be a free scoring team (Although I understand it more now after the season we are having). I would quite happily dominate possession and be defensively solid seeing out games 1 or 2 nil. 

55 minutes ago, Mod said:

This ⬆️

Taken from then Telegraph/Matt Law:

Chelsea have not placed Luis Enrique among the leading candidates for the permanent head coach job as the club start to cut down their shortlist and prepare for a new round of talks.

Enrique flew to London two weeks ago for discussions with Chelsea, but there are no further talks currently planned with the former Barcelona man which could leave the path clear for Tottehnam Hotspur to make their move.

Along with Sporting’s Ruben Amorim, Enrqiue is now rated as an outsider for the Chelsea post with initial contact thought to have been made with all the main contenders – including Julian Nagelsmann and Mauricio Pochettino.

Chelsea are expected to hold further talks with Nagelsmann, who was interviewed last week, and Pochettino, along with other coaches, with club sources still insistent there is not yet a favourite or single leading contender for the post.

Nagelsmann is believed to have impressed Chelseaduring his interview, but, despite outside sources and some players believing he is the most likely permanent successor to Graham Potter, insiders have rejected any notion that the German is emerging as the favourite yet.

Former Tottenham manager Pochettino was interviewed by Chelsea and impressed co controlling owners Todd Boehly and Behdad Eghbali before they appointed Potter. He is still available, having been out of work since being sacked by Paris St-Germain.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport, Tottenham have made moves to contact Enrique and it appears the north London club might have a clear run at him with Chelsea’s attention focused more vividly elsewhere.

Chairman Daniel Levy has previously expressed reservations over Enrique’s lack of Premier League experience, but the Spaniard has been highly recommended to Spurs and is on the club’s shortlist of candidates to permanently succeed Antonio Conte.

Despite their elimination from the Champions League, the Chelsea job is still rated as one of the most attractive in Europe but Boehly and Eghbali know they cannot afford to get their next appointment wrong.

3 minutes ago, Remodez said:

I'm not claiming Nagelsmann is a bad manager, like I said earlier in the thread I know very little about him. Wouldn't this be partly due to to the competitive nature of the Prem compared to the Bundesliga that's a lot more volatile outside of Bayern and Dortmund?

Quite frankly I never understood the desperation to be a free scoring team (Although I understand it more now after the season we are having). I would quite happily dominate possession and be defensively solid seeing out games 1 or 2 nil. 

Possibly but I would also point to his Champions League record

2022/23 - 6 wins out of 6 against Barcelona, Inter Milan, and Pizen scoring 18 goals and conceding only 2, then beating PSG 3-0 on aggregate in the knockouts

2021/22 - 6 wins out of 6 against Barcelona, Benfica and Dynamo Kyiv scoring 22 goals and conceding 3, then beating Salzburg 8-2 on aggregate, though they did lose to Villareal

Even if it's Bayern, they were scoring for fun against teams from other leagues as well, even by Bayern's standards they were a free scoring team

Fear with Nagelsmann boils down to three things. 

1. Will his football reflect in the Premier League? (Tactics/Formations constantly changing based on opposition). 

2. Will he neglect invested wide attacking players? (Mudryk and Madueke). 

3. Does he lack authoritative qualities that have been notoriously rumored during his spell at Bayern?

There's also a 4th, Will Nagelsmann make Havertz first name on the teamsheet. Which if true then he can immediately f**k off. 

8 minutes ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Fear with Nagelsmann boils down to three things. 

1. Will his football reflect in the Premier League? (Tactics/Formations constantly changing based on opposition). 

2. Will he neglect invested wide attacking players? (Mudryk and Madueke). 

3. Does he lack authoritative qualities that have been notoriously rumored during his spell at Bayern?

There's also a 4th, Will Nagelsmann make Havertz first name on the teamsheet. Which if true then he can immediately f**k off. 

Number 3 alone is a huge Red flag.

45 minutes ago, Drogba1 said:

Possibly but I would also point to his Champions League record

2022/23 - 6 wins out of 6 against Barcelona, Inter Milan, and Pizen scoring 18 goals and conceding only 2, then beating PSG 3-0 on aggregate in the knockouts

2021/22 - 6 wins out of 6 against Barcelona, Benfica and Dynamo Kyiv scoring 22 goals and conceding 3, then beating Salzburg 8-2 on aggregate, though they did lose to Villareal

Even if it's Bayern, they were scoring for fun against teams from other leagues as well, even by Bayern's standards they were a free scoring team

Doesnt mean anything. Enrique, Mourihno, Ancelotti and Zidane have won the CL, the last three more than once. That makes them better coaches

1 hour ago, Argo said:

JN will lose the dressing room with all its egos. These players need tough love

Our university football team has an impressive run the past few seasons with solid coaching but doubt he would be available next season. 

Having said that, my vote would be for Diego Simeone. Tough talking, take no sh*te type of manager who could best possibly deal with ownership. That, my friends, would take a magician!! 😆

Edited by Crazy Canuck

4 hours ago, enigma said:

We won the league the season before mate. We should have done better than what we did. The same thing happened in Mourinho's second spell here too. We win the league and then finish newr relegation with a team consisting of Terry, Cahill, Azpi, Willian, Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Oscar etc.

We can't deny that the past decade or so at the club has been in a decline due to not staying competitive. Look at City, they have remained competitive because no hire and fire culture, backed the coach long term, and bought the right players for the system. Every time they won the league they strengthened with the right players, not stagnated like we did. 

Yes we could've done better with Conte but it was always a matter of time with him. He is way too impatient when things don't go the way he wants and starts blaming everyone. Things went exceedingly well when he switched to the back 3 and we won the title. Otherwise the way he was ranting at our poor performances I suspect he'd have blown up and left at the end of his first season.