Kepa Arrizabalaga

Athletic Bilbao keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga being heavily linked with a move to Chelsea today. 

€80m release clause apparently, breaking the record £67m Liverpool have just paid for Allison who we didn't bid for because he was deemed to expensive. 

I know very little about him but he seems highly rated in Spain. Some rumours suggesting that we've told the player we will activate his buy-out clause and double his €4m salary and he'll talk with Sarri over the next couple of days to be convinced to join the club. 

I mean, I've heard of him so he must be somewhat good. I think Real Madrid wanted him too so he can't be that bad.

Only issue for me is that it's such a huge amount of money, price we have to pay to keep Willy out of goal I suppose. 

From what I can tell, he is good to very good at almost everything, including his distribution. 

The only downside to playing him as a sweeper-keeper is that he's not particularly quick from what I've seen, but for mine he has enough upside to negate such a concern. IMO he could potentially be as good as Oblak currently is.

80 million euros to purchase him seems excessive even with his upside, but if the likes of Sommer/Strakosha/Ryan/Schmeichel are unavailable then I don't see that we have much choice. The thought of Caballero being first choice makes the milk turn sour. 

4 minutes ago, big blue said:

Why would oblak want to come here though? Atlético are in a really good place right now, they managed to keep greizmann, they've added lemar, and the champions league final is being held in their stadium this season, so I'm sure they will be gunning for that.

https://sillyseason.com/salary/atletico-madrid-players-salaries-99569/

Apparently he's on 25k a week at Atletico. 

We could easily stick him on £180k a week.

Its just a job at the end of the day and money certainly talks.

3 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

https://sillyseason.com/salary/atletico-madrid-players-salaries-99569/

Apparently he's on 25k a week at Atletico. 

We could easily stick him on £180k a week.

Its just a job at the end of the day and money certainly talks.

Highly believable web site that has the full,complete and accurate listing of every player's salary in every team.  And when you click the Chelsea players salaries link, one of the first paragraphs says

"After winning the Premier League in 2018 Chelsea’s.................."

The trouble with the internet is there just ain't enough bullsh*t and guesswork on it.

1 minute ago, yorkleyblue said:

Highly believable web site that has the full,complete and accurate listing of every player's salary in every team.  And when you click the Chelsea players salaries link, one of the first paragraphs says

"After winning the Premier League in 2018 Chelsea’s.................."

The trouble with the internet is there just ain't enough bullsh*t and guesswork on it.

Did you read my post or did you not see the world 'apparently'? 

My overall point still stand, we can pay him a hell of a lot more than Atletico. 

Apparently is neither here nor there if you quote a  web site that claims we  won the league last season, it's not even "apparently"

What you should have said was "some prick on the web pulled some numbers out of his arse to justify getting some clicks but I think we could afford to pay him more than Atletico"

And,  as it happens,I agree with your basic point, just tickled me, that website

3 minutes ago, evissy said:

Not sure if we could make this buy this late. 

We're not talking about Neuer mate. This Kepa lad plays for a midtable La Liga side. I don't see Bilbao turning down that kind of sum for a player tbh. 

Only issue is if you trigger the release clause, then you're liable for full tax in Spain or something like that...anyway less haggling if you pay the release clause just need to agree presonal terms which I don't think will be a problem bearing in mind where he's playing now...

Edited by doctorblue

Marca and Goal are both reporting that Chelsea have triggered his release clause and that he's traveling tonight by private jet to agree presonal terms and should be training with the first team on Thursday...and maybe even in the team for Saturday's game...AB have refused to negotiate the price so Chelsea have been forced to pay the full release price...

41 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Only issue is if you trigger the release clause, then you're liable for full tax in Spain or something like that...anyway less haggling if you pay the release clause just need to agree presonal terms which I don't think will be a problem bearing in mind where he's playing now...

I don't think it's a case of actually triggering the clause. I think in most cases the selling club just accept an offer equal to the buy clause, to avoid the tax issues for the buyer.