Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

The Era of Torres is one of the best examples of nepotism. It was clear after less than an year, that our board should cut their loses but instead they doubled down and we were crippled in the League mainly because of their decision to try and make it work. 

I agree with most of your post except for this part. I think, the board knew, as well as everyone else, that he was a busted flush, at least when his full season at the cub was up. The problem was, the whole world knew he was sh*t and on high wages, which isn't exactly an enticing combination. Plus, and this is even more important, Torres himself was quite happy to collect the weekly wage at CFC instead of trying to resurrect his career somewhere else while earning less money.

The board made one big mistake - when they signed him for a lot of money to a huge contract. The rest is on him.

Edited by abramovich

Wasn't 1 game though. In the 1st half ot the season before he joined us he had 9 goals in 23 PL games. So nearly 1 in 2.

Yeah that's true but he was not playing well. I think he scored like 5 in January and 2 against us in November. He was on the down from early 2010, his pace and agility (his best attributes) were not the same after several injections.

He is similar to Michael Owen, he gave so much at such a young age that is just took it out of him. But Owen got to decline out of the spotlight at Newcastle or United's bench. Torres has been right in the face of the media as a starter for a title contender.

I think that if he wasn't favored after our CL victory he would have asked to leave on his own, he still had a high opinion of himself at that time. 

Exactly, and to the point abramovich made that he could've cut his wages and move on, as much as was released to the public, it didn't seem like the club nor any manager insisted him that he wasn't needed, do you think he would've sat 3 years on our bench playing 5 games a season?

If you think Torres 'tried', then you clearly haven't watched the number of games where he was anonymous, hardly ran, hid in the penalty area and did a petulant arm gesture whenever a defender outmuscled him to get to the ball and he lost possession for the umpteenth time...yes he won a corner kick that led to our equaliser in the cl final, but think mata and drogba deserve all the credit for that...yes, he had the odd flash...I don't hate the bloke, I just don't respect him...it always felt someone else's fault with him, whether it was the media having a go at him or chelsea not suiting his style, when in fact he just wasn't good or working hard enough...the odd game he stepped up showed he still had something, but fact it was seen so rarely exposes a weak mindset..

The club and roman do deserve their share of the blame for buying him and not learning lessons from Sheva - paying over the odds for a forward in obvious decline...but Torres had remarkable backing from us fans and I don't think he did enough in return

Guest RFC_CFC

If you think Torres 'tried', then you clearly haven't watched the number of games where he was anonymous, hardly ran, hid in the penalty area and did a petulant arm gesture whenever a defender outmuscled him to get to the ball and he lost possession for the umpteenth time...yes he won a corner kick that led to our equaliser in the cl final, but think mata and drogba deserve all the credit for that...yes, he had the odd flash...I don't hate the bloke, I just don't respect him...it always felt someone else's fault with him, whether it was the media having a go at him or chelsea not suiting his style, when in fact he just wasn't good or working hard enough...the odd game he stepped up showed he still had something, but fact it was seen so rarely exposes a weak mindset..

The club and roman do deserve their share of the blame for buying him and not learning lessons from Sheva - paying over the odds for a forward in obvious decline...but Torres had remarkable backing from us fans and I don't think he did enough in return

Disagree entirely.

It just didn't work out.

For me the bottom line is, the club should've made the decision earlier to rid of him not wait all this time.. I refuse to believe it took 3 managers to offload one player, but yet it did. It was a shame it didn't work out but I will still support him in his future endeavours and wish him all the best, not for a second do I feel I need to insult him because of whatever went down whilst he was with us, I thank him for his time with us and will happily move onto the new era of Chelsea Football Club, an era which shall be the most successful of this football club's history.

I am out of this thread.

Edited by Soulo

It didn't work out. Both parties wanted it to but it just was not there. Move on and let us forget. Torres did do some good thing but unfortunately his inconsistency was the major issue. Not like Torres came to us in his prime and management certainly overpaid so who really is to blame. I admit, I have had my cracks about Torres on the Shed but let's look beyond that now. He did service to club in an honorable way (mainly off the pitch) and to be fair Chelsea supporters really went above and beyond to make him feel welcome. We also supported him throughout his career here but it just was not in the cards. Finally, the club and Torres realized that it was a done deal and for both to move on. Nothing wrong with that! I personally hope he revives his career and scores 30 this year. Sure a weaker league and I am sure some of the anti Chelsea media will be quick to point it out but SerieA and the Premiership are on way different wavelengths. Let's be glad he is gone, happy he is happy joining a club with famed history in a cosmopolitan city (unlike the dregs of Liverpool), and that most importantly for us the chapter is closed.

The dregs of Liverpool?

Easy, mate. I resent that. I am a Chelsea fan but I am a scouser, born and bred, and this City is full of culture and beauty. So don't be so downright offensive.

Don't often agree with Phil Thompson, but even he said Torres lost his heart, passion and love for the game and said that started at Liverpool so he wasn't even putting the blame at Chelsea's door...if only he'd shown same work rate as Dave or ivan, I wouldn't be quite so vitriolic over his lack of contribution

Edited by The Brit

The dregs of Liverpool?

Easy, mate. I resent that. I am a Chelsea fan but I am a scouser, born and bred, and this City is full of culture and beauty. So don't be so downright offensive.

Maybe but he has got a point mate and I'm a boro lad myself and believe me I would happily call my town a sh*t hole :laugh2:

The dregs of Liverpool?

Since our club is London based, and most of our fans are based in London and surrounding counties you can't not expect this sort of banter. I've never been to Liverpool, but it's pretty common for fans to pull out all the digs against our most hated rivals, take it with a pinch of salt! 

Interesting that it's a two-year loan but this is the right move for all parties. Personally I have would sold him but that would have been extremely difficult to manage with his high wages.

I appreciate his efforts at the club such his huge goal against Barcelona in the 2012 UCL Semi Final, his great performance in the Europa League Final last year and of course his brilliant last-minute goal against Manchester City at home last season. Even though these moments have been few and far between I still have fond memories of some of the better times at Chelsea. I've always liked Fernando and hoped for the best with him but it's clear things haven't worked out for either the club or him in the past three years.

All the best to him at AC Milan and I hope he finds his goalscoring touch which has been missing for a few years. I hope he does well!

Here are some of my favourite memories of Torres at Chelsea in video!

Edited by Jezz