Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Figure,

I do not shout out for any scapegoat. I write as I have witnessed him play for Chelsea. I witnessed very little on the pitch.

"This man did so much harm, it is not even funny. Coaches were fired, players left, mainly because of him."

The above positively reeks of scapegoatism. In my opinion.

Just going to point something out here. I don't think Sturridge (if thats who some are referring to) left because of Torres. We couldn't guarentee him a starting place week in, week out. Liverpool could and he only had 6 months left on his contract so he would of left for free if he hadn't of been sold.

You know what? Some people really aren't going to like this and I may get a bit of stick but just stop for a minute and imagine the pressure this guy has been under for nearly 4 years. He came with a £50 million price tag from one of our arch rivals and didn't get off to the best start. From that point the media, etc were all on his back and every game that went by was an added layer of pressure. 

Of course. His Chelsea career hasn't lived up to expectations but some of this is being blown out of proportion.

Aah bless. Poor Nando. And after all Roman did for him.

PS. Big Figure you are to be congratulated. A wonderfully huge leap about the Torres negativity thing equalling a lack of character or personality disorder. My wife and daughter love me and so does my psychatrist. But I am obviously flawed because I thought Torres was pants.

Just going to point something out here. I don't think Sturridge (if thats who some are referring to) left because of Torres. We couldn't guarentee him a starting place week in, week out. Liverpool could and he only had 6 months left on his contract so he would of left for free if he hadn't of been sold.

You know what? Some people really aren't going to like this and I may get a bit of stick but just stop for a minute and imagine the pressure this guy has been under for nearly 4 years. He came with a £50 million price tag from one of our arch rivals and didn't get off to the best start. From that point the media, etc were all on his back and every game that went by was an added layer of pressure. 

Of course. His Chelsea career hasn't lived up to expectations but some of this is being blown out of proportion. 

I personally don't think pressure had anything to do with it. He has had much more pressure on him than a £50 million price tag. His move from Spain to England was bigger, playing in European Championship and World Cup final for his country was also bigger.

He's just lost what he once was due to injuries. This was clear to see during the 2010 world cup.

Edited by Scott Harris

PS. Big Figure you are to be congratulated. A wonderfully huge leap about the Torres negativity thing equalling a lack of character or personality disorder. My wife and daughter love me and so does my psychatrist. But I am obviously flawed because I thought Torres was pants.

Erm... that's not what I said though.  Scroll up to where I begin with:

Torres's Chelsea career failed to live up to expectations. Nobody can deny that.

This translates loosely as: "Torres was sh*te at Chelsea."

Which is massively different from the inescapable scapegoatism inherent in a statement such as;

"This man did so much harm, it is not even funny. Coaches were fired, players left, mainly because of him."

Which translates loosely as: "Everything is Torres' fault."

I personally don't think pressure had anything to do with it. He has had much more pressure on him than a £50 million price tag. His move from Spain to England was bigger, playing in European Championship and World Cup final for his country was also bigger.

He's just lost what he once was due to injuries. This was clear to see during the 2010 world cup.

That of course was the biggest factor but the pressure dosen't help.

Edited by BromleyBlue

You got that right.

Edited by BromleyBlue

Erm... that's not what I said though. Scroll up to where I begin with:

Torres's Chelsea career failed to live up to expectations. Nobody can deny that.

This translates loosely as: "Torres was sh*te at Chelsea."

Which is massively different from the inescapable scapegoatism inherent in a statement such as;

Which translates loosely as: "Everything is Torres' fault."

Apologies. My bad Big Figure I didn't take your post in the context of a direct response to Peter Sage.

I'd agree. It wasnt Torres fault. If anyone deserves to be scapegoated over the entire prolonged Torres fiasco it is our very own Russian oligarch.

Edited by just

Guest RFC_CFC

So if this two year loan goes through it's pretty much a free transfer job then right?

Yep.

He will be out of contract by that point so we won't see him again in Chelsea blue

Nice article about Torres on MailOnline by Jamie Carragher.

I expected the usual anti Chelsea stuff, but it's balanced and implies his decline started 18 months before we signed him, as his injuries affected his pace.

Maybe other Dipper pundits won't be so honest?

Not Torres's biggest fan by any stretch, but he tried. His sulking and body language wasn't good, but he didn't slag us off like Sturridge and Lukaku. Lets hope he doesn't start now.

Edited by Northerner

Thanks to the negotiating team and Mourinho for finally bringing this to an end.

This is a player who cost the club 3 managers, including a double champion and a club legend, to be fired. He had his way and got the club to appoint the fat one, which will permanently leave a blemish on this club.

On the night we won the Champions League thanks to Drogba, and not Fernando "corner" Torres, he had the nerve to go and moan to the media. It's no surprise why Drogba didn't bother to negotiate a new contract. Torres' demands also cost the club a good, young striker in Sturridge. 

Regarding his "highlights" here, there were none. Yes, he won the corner that led to Drogba's goal. But you can trace back every incident that led us to win that competition or even be in the final. Ashley Cole's clearance off the line against Napoli, Terry's goal against Napoli, Lampard's perfect passes in both legs against Barca that led to goals. Torres is getting cheap praise.

We did not challenge for a league title under him. A 50m player, let alone a striker, should be able to lead his team to a title. Aguero won it for City, RVP won it for United, In 2010 Drogba for us.

Yes, he did score in the Europa league final, but that is not our level. Chelsea is an elite club.

Torres has been an abject failure. One of the worst players to wear this shirt. Take his price out of the equation, he still failed to do his one job on the pitch. The likes of Mata, Willian, Hazard, Oscar were all brought in to help. They excelled but he didn't.

He summed up how he felt about this club by refusing to score against liverpool and passing the ball to Willian.

Good riddance. The club can finally go upwards now. 

I really like bony aswell. Not been linked with him much though.

But Arse and Spuds are so maybe we will make the last minute steal and nick him away. Did read a 24m price has been placed so unless he chooses Chelsea and is adamant we would have to pay roughly 24m. With that said, love to see Chelsea step in the running causing Spuds and the Arse to have to raise their prices.

It's too far fetched to say we lost three managers because of him. We did however let go of a handful of great strikers because of him (not only talking about Sturridge and to a lesser extent Lukaku, but all the ones we could have signed had we not signed Torres).

I don't mean to be a cock about it, but a move was the better choice for both parties. I'm glad he chose that road instead of running out his contract like the majority of us thought he would do.

Regardless of him being a complete failure here, I wish him nothing but the best, he's a good lad and I'm grateful for his service and contributions however little they may be. The biggest probably being his goal v Barcelona. I think we all supported him throughout his career at the club and I'm pretty sure ALL of us wanted him to do well but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Good luck Fernando.

It didn't work out. Both parties wanted it to but it just was not there. Move on and let us forget. Torres did do some good thing but unfortunately his inconsistency was the major issue. Not like Torres came to us in his prime and management certainly overpaid so who really is to blame. I admit, I have had my cracks about Torres on the Shed but let's look beyond that now. He did service to club in an honorable way (mainly off the pitch) and to be fair Chelsea supporters really went above and beyond to make him feel welcome. We also supported him throughout his career here but it just was not in the cards. Finally, the club and Torres realized that it was a done deal and for both to move on. Nothing wrong with that! I personally hope he revives his career and scores 30 this year. Sure a weaker league and I am sure some of the anti Chelsea media will be quick to point it out but SerieA and the Premiership are on way different wavelengths. Let's be glad he is gone, happy he is happy joining a club with famed history in a cosmopolitan city (unlike the dregs of Liverpool), and that most importantly for us the chapter is closed.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/8/29/6083891/no-severance-pay-in-torres-deal-report

A bit more info regarding this deal. Apparently Torres hasn't taken a penny as severance pay and the Milan haven't paid a fee. The two year loan was designed to allow us to 'carry' the £18m left in Fernando's transfer fee over the next two years rather than declare the full figure now. This is handy from an FFP perspective.

I'm not putting much stock into this theory. A transfer fee is essentially a compensation payment to the selling club. It's compensation because the selling club has to terminate its contract with a player, which means that the selling club is losing value. Ordinarily, the compensation has to be at least enough for the selling club to recover the value lost by terminating the contract.

The contract between the buying club and the player is a separate and distinct transaction from the transfer (or compensation) fee from the buying club to the selling club. There is therefore no reason that the contract between the buying club and a player would be tied into the transfer fee payment structure between the buying and selling clubs.

In the case of Torres; the Chelsea-Torres contract interaction is distinct from the Chelsea-Liverpool transfer fee interaction. The 5.5 year contract he established with Chelsea has no necessary bearing on the payment structure of the transfer fee paid to Liverpool. Nor should any future interaction between Chelsea and Torres, such as a loan move, have any bearing on the payment structure of the Chelsea-Liverpool transfer fee.

Edit: The transfer is handy from an FFP perspective only in the sense that our wage liability over the next two years has been reduced. The transfer fee is a sunk cost.

Edited by Hazardous