Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Maybe but he has got a point mate and I'm a boro lad myself and believe me I would happily call my town a sh*t hole :laugh2:

Liverpool isn't a s**thole. There are parts of it that aren't nice but you get those in every city. It's not the glamorous bright lights of New York or London or Milan but he made it sound so utterly worthless and disgusting by using that word I couldn't help but take offense.

I thin you will find that:

If Remy joins and Torres leaves we are still one NHG player over for the PL.

If Remy joins and Torres leaves because Zuoma cant be put on the B list (under 21 and have been at the club 2 years) we are two NHG over for the CL

We are 1 over, but that includes mvg and cech who are both linked with moves away.

For those that have defended him throughout fair play...I finally lost patience last season, but never abused him at a game or anything...but it shouldn't be forgotten that in the moments immediately after the greatest moment in our history, he spat the dummy out and moaned to the press...pretty unforgivable in my book and a sign of what a selfish and sulky so and so he really was

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9278310/Fernando-Torres-hits-out-at-Chelsea-over-his-treatment-and-seeks-urgent-clear-the-air-talks.html

For those that have defended him throughout fair play...I finally lost patience last season, but never abused him at a game or anything...but it shouldn't be forgotten that in the moments immediately after the greatest moment in our history, he spat the dummy out and moaned to the press...pretty unforgivable in my book and a sign of what a selfish and sulky so and so he really was

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9278310/Fernando-Torres-hits-out-at-Chelsea-over-his-treatment-and-seeks-urgent-clear-the-air-talks.html

Yeah this ruined his 'at least he was a nice guy' legacy for me, it wasn't even necessary as Drogba was leaving of course the £50m pet signing is going to have a go as 1st choice striker.

I actually hope he doesn't do well for the rest of his career cause I can see him making excuses and blaming Chelsea one day for all his poor performances.

I thin you will find that:

If Remy joins and Torres leaves we are still one NHG player over for the PL.

If Remy joins and Torres leaves because Zuoma cant be put on the B list (under 21 and have been at the club 2 years) we are two NHG over for the CL

I'll be extremely surprised if Cech is still a Chelsea player at the end of the window.

First off, thank f**k this one is over. I wish nando all the best and hope he does well. But I can’t deal with all this he tried his best, it just didn’t work out. Always gave maximum effort, worked hard… Actually completely confused by that.

Let’s put it in to context, Costa has scored 4 goals in 3 games so far. Honestly, take his second goal out of the equation the other 3 have not be anything special and some could say he was a bit fortunate with the first goal yesterday, he did hit it straight at Howard. But he worked his socks of all game making run after run after run, imagine all the runs that weren’t picked up. Hit the right area enough times you are going to get chances. Torres would not make those runs, that’s why he didn’t score goals. That does not constitute working hard. I think most feel that it was more fear than anything else (and I agree) he seemed scared to be in goal scoring positions. But it’s still not working hard, its hiding. Things like that don’t just not work out, if the player works his socks of he will get goals

Its good to finally move on from this saga and I think that the atmosphere in general around the club will be better as well 

First off, thank f**k this one is over. I wish nando all the best and hope he does well. But I can’t deal with all this he tried his best, it just didn’t work out. Always gave maximum effort, worked hard… Actually completely confused by that.

Me too ... we all work bloody hard in our day jobs, it's what people do ... this working hard nonsense is a smokescreen. The whole Torres experience has been mostly dreadful, with just the very occasional wow ...

I hope things finally work out for Torres in his new venture and wish him the best ...

As soon as it's confirmed he's passed his medical and accepted terms we should close this thread for group harmony, once again ...

The same massive relief feeling must also be felt around the Club as a whole ...

At the end of the day there were very few positives from the whole experience ...

Edited by cfcblue

Interesting how this thread just feels quite anticlimactic following the confirmation of his transfer..we've all had our say. Some appreciate his efforts and acknowledge the fact that he just wasn't suited to our style of play and just wasn't good enough.. Others are swayed by his insistence on being Chelsea's main striker and a borderline petulance / over inflated sense of self worth following the champions league final

Collectively though we are all glad he is gone. The posts now are those of relief as opposed to celebration and I think we are all just tired of it.

Lock thread. Drop key in acid. Move on.

The slower paced game will suit him.

But will it really?

Torres seems to be at his most dangerous when running with the ball into space and seems to be at his worst when it's up to him to seek out space in a tight games. He ain't going to get a lot of room in Serie A that's for sure.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's another disaster out there for him. One things for sure, the Milan fans won't give him the time, patience and support the Chelsea fans did (at least on the pitch anyway!)

Edited by bjd

But will it really?

Torres seems to be at his most dangerous when running with the ball into space and seems to be at his worst when it's up to him to seek out space in a tight games. He ain't going to get a lot of room in Serie A that's for sure.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's another disaster out there for him. One things for sure, the Milan fans won't give him the time, patience and support the Chelsea fans did (at least on the pitch anyway!)

He'll certainly get more than in the PL. Playmakers like Veron, Pirlo, Valero, Pizarro, Strootman, Hernanes, Lodi, etc. thrive over there because the tempo is slow enough to allow them to pick out passes. They don't get the same amount of time in the more frenetic PL - just ask Veron! 

He could still flop, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did a whole lot better. For one thing, he'll be free of the burden of being the '50 million pound man', the anxiety of which seemed to be a millstone around his neck and weighed down his performances for us accordingly (excuse the pun). Another thing is that the standard of Serie A has fallen behind the PL, even defensively - saying that someone like Ryan Shawcross could make a Top 4 Serie A side is not IMO that massive a call. If there is one thing that Torres has proven over the years with Chelsea, it is that he can do a job when faced with lesser defences who don't harry him all that much - and he will encounter enough of those in Serie A. 

Oh as for the saga itself, I'm extremely glad that it is over just like the rest of us. Nothing against Fernando Torres - he seemed to want to do better than what he actually did despite his facial expressions, but he was largely robbed of the pace that made him so dangerous and his finishing was often woeful. Five different managers tried to get the best out of him and many strikers were sacrificed for his sake, but nothing really seemed to work.

I may sound like a hindsight hero, but personally I remember dreading his transfer back in January 2011. It had seemed to me that his performance had begun to decline (23 matches - 9 goals for Liverpool with 3 of those against Wolves) and the 50 million pound price tag placed him under incredible pressure. How right my feelings of trepidation were...but never mind. Best of luck Fernando.

Edited by DaRick