Matic

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Very disappointing. I wouldn't have cared if he had gone abroad but going to Utd, under Jose? Upsetting.

Matic is a strange one. He wanted a move last summer? Why? Conte persuaded him to stay. This summer he wants out again. He's clearly not committed and Conte's right to ship him out, particularly as he was possibly the weakest of our normal starting XI last term.

Good player, was outstanding before January in 14/15, but has never been the same player since, although he was criminally underrated by some on these boards. Jose isn't splashing out £50m on a dud player, although having said that it's damn good money, it's just simply too good to turn down, similar to Tottenham and Walker. It's a lot of money folks and we can put that money to good use. Hopefully we can mould the squad more in the way the manager wants.

I think it's telling that we've sanctioned this move. Conte has already bought Bakayoko so it's clear he felt he could upgrade on Matic, and I don't think Conte's going to be too upset about this, otherwise I hope it wouldn't have happened. Conte wants more energy in the middle of the park, a bit more dynamism, a player that can impose himself more than Matic, he wants more of a main man. Matic will be screening the defence for Utd, something he hasn't done for a long time at Chelsea but which is without a doubt his best role. It's not what Conte wants and Conte has the confidence to back his judgement.

Conte is a brilliant manager, we mustn't forget that. What he did last season was incredible, and totally unexpected. Every player improved under him. Matic improved from the previous season but he never hit the same heights as his teammates maybe because his ceiling is far lower. Conte saw that and he's deemed him dispensible. I'm okay about it but I'm gutted it's Utd but there you go. If we end up splashing the cash on a player Conte wants I won't complain, if we don't then we certainly have problems with lack of depth. Any midfielder we bring in will know they're only there for depth so we're rather restricted in who we can tempt I imagine but maybe we'll bring in somebody else in another position who's top-notch. Sadly City and Utd don't seem to need to raise funds by selling the way we do these days but that's another story I guess. 

This one's bad but it's not too bad. Let's hope there's a silver lining. Last season we brought in Luiz and Alonso at the eleventh hour, remember that? How did that one end up? I reckon our manager has a plan and I reckon it's a good one.

Edit: Keep the faith.

Edited by Davey Baby

really don't like selling to rivals, but the fee is too good to turn down. Its just a shame we havent got replacements in, im sure the club would've liked to have Tolisso or Kessie before this had gone through. Hopefully we pull a couple of signings out the bag, as I haven't seen us linked with any centre midfielders for a while. 

Just now, big blue said:

really don't like selling to rivals, but the fee is too good to turn down. Its just a shame we havent got replacements in, im sure the club would've liked to have Tolisso or Kessie before this had gone through. Hopefully we pull a couple of signings out the bag, as I haven't seen us linked with any centre midfielders for a while. 

Seems a few rumours that we won't sell matic until we have his replacement in.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Seems a few rumours that we won't sell matic until we have his replacement in.

I read that too, although the pics of him in the United kit makes it look pretty imminent. Hopefully that means we have agreed something under the radar. 

I think it's a done deal. Just hope we have a replacement.

While he wasn't great by any means, Matic played his part in our wins but I will always be grateful to him in that he spelled the imminent end to Mikel's time here. For that alone I just cannot be negative about him. Ciao and thanks.

4 minutes ago, Bigthrobberus said:

bbc changed the fee down to £40m, seriously, wtf! We're a sinking ship at the moment.

£40m is peanuts to utd, wtf are we doing?!

we will be lucky to make top 4 with this squad and all the extra games this season

stinks

Will be add ons which take it to 50.

its a decent fee for a guy whose been largely dissapointing and he's never really got his form back from 2 or 3 seasons ago. 

I don't agree selling him to United but the fee is not an issue as that's about his value in this market currently. 

However if we don't bring in a better replacement then serious questions need asked 

Edited by Chelsbear

I said in a earlier post that i am against selling to a rival. I take that back a bit. I see them being down in 7th place. So they are not a rival. The money is a good amount. Just hope he gets replaced. He will have to be. So i am chilled out about it. I am more upset about another departure. But anyway.....

Just now, Chelsbear said:

Will be add ons which take it to 50.

its a decent fee for a guy whose been largely dissapointing and he's never really got his form back from 2 or 3 seasons ago. 

I don't agree selling him to United but the fee is not an issue as that's about his value in this market currently. 

selling to utd we should be inflating the price massivly. we need 4 players in this week otherwise i cant see us doing anything this season.

morata had me excited but selling a solid player to utd when the squad is thread bare, Is well, Worrying to say the least..

1 minute ago, cwnorth said:

I said in a earlier post that i am against selling to a rival. I take that back a bit. I see them being down in 7th place. So they are not a rival. The money is a good amount. Just hope he gets replaced. He will have to be. So i am chilled out about it. I am more upset about another departure. But anyway.....

they will be challenging this season, 7th will be good for us as it stands.

1 minute ago, EmeraldBlue said:

I'm wondering who will become the next scapegoat if Matic goes, as it seems he will. My betting is Alonso and Moses.

exactly. fanboys need to realise we aiint real madrid. matic is a very gd experienced PL player, As it stands we have weakend our small squad, Strenghened a rival and we will have to hope any incomings, esp foreign magically bed in rapidly.

12 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Thanks for everything Matic. Liked the player but hes not commited and will probably play a lot better now under José.

Pogba and Matic.. could be a force next season

He won't be able to rely on Pobga to save his arse like Kante did last season. Every time Pobga goes forward Matic will be thinking wtf !

Roman does like doing a favour for the Eastern Europeans.

Let Cech and Matic join rivals and allowed Ivanovic to go on a free.

Very strange decision by us this one unless we've got something big lined up ourselves within this week I think there's going to be a fair few fans nervous about the makeup of the squad going into the new season.

We're starting to leave things late again, not sure why we make it hard for ourselves. The starting XI for the new season will have barely trained together, let alone played going into the first match.