Matic

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

40m+ for a 29 year old who doesn't contribute enough in either attack or defence is a good deal in my opinion. My only worry is that we'll be going into the season with 3 Centre-midfielders, especially as none are out-and-out defensive midfielders. Can definitely see 2 more CMs arriving in the next few weeks, but as of now I can't really tell who that will be which is worrying. 

Shame that whilst all of our tital rivals seem to be getting stronger, adding where they are short and have now got a fully sorted team, Chelsea are still seemingly 4-5 players away from having a complete squad.

Edited by KentPaul

Reports now saying he's completed a medical.

Personally, I don't like strengthening rivals and I doubt many do so I really hope the board have someone in mind or deep in negotiations with a player that will strengthen the team or provide options for Conte.

I'd rather we spend money on quality than keep it in the bank

I'd have taken a fair few quid less from Juve, maybe they weren't that interested.

Matic was always limited by his one footedness and his fear of putting in a proper challenge.

I'mm sure he'll do fine for United but he's limited and in my mind found out.

Herrera doing a Kanté job alongside him with Pogba ahead is very good on paper.

Just now, gazza said:

weakness from the board i bet utd wouldnt sell us a player

There's a better chance of Mourinho stabbing his own hand than give us any of his players. This is the guy that canceled the transfer of Ba to Arsenal because it strengthens them

Kind of disappointed by Matic for not wanting  to fight for the starting spot (unlike fab) , We really could of have great depth at CM if he stayed which would have been great .

Remember Matic wanted to leave last year too but Conte convinced him to stay and Conte already said times and times that he don't esmt players  that don't want to be at Chelsea , so maybe it was Matic who forced the move....

Selling to United doesn't bother me really , look what happen to mata and how many time did we moan about Matic in the match threads last year , almost every game ...

I'm really interested who we gonna bring in now and let's hope balayoko makes us forget about Matic quickly !

Edited by DidierDrogbalala

we've also indirectly sold de bruyne and lukaku to manchester clubs, not including directly with mata and matic now oh and lampard went to city. there's something about ex-players of ours going up north :biggrin:

Edited by enigma

50 million for him on top of the Oscar and co money means we haven't spent that much really so in theory we should be able to bring in 3 or 4 more.

if we don't we are in big trouble as our squad is paper thin as it was before Matic even left. Costa is a goner too so we need reinforcements of the same level sharpish.

From last season we will have lost Ake, Terry, Chabola, RLC, Matic, Costa, Zouma, Begovic. We have brought in Rudiger, Bakayoko, Morata, Christensen and Caballero. So that's 8 players out and 5 in although I've probably missed a departure too! 

2 wing backs, central midfielder and a winger is what we really should be aiming for and they all need to be of a high standard. Not going to be easy that 

I think we'll miss Matic's ability to pick out a vertical pass to the wingbacks the most, I accept Cesc can do this but we look suspect defensively when he plays and I question if Bakayoko has the ability to do the same under pressure.

I'd be able to get behind this decision if we sign Wiegl, who for me is the only like for like player out there similar to Matic - but that doesn't look likely this summer, if ever.

For me United have just bought 2nd place next season (I think City will win the league).

Edited by the special one

5 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

2 wing backs, central midfielder and a winger is what we really should be aiming for and they all need to be of a high standard. Not going to be easy that 

And all of those players that we will buy must be of a required standard as well and not another Bodji

Disappointing to see him end up at another English team (I refuse to call a team who have finished 6th a "rival").

With £40-50m set to be raised from this sale and presumably similar we're going to get for Costa surely we've got something big planned for the rest of the transfer window?

I reckon a move for Sanchez might be on the cards. 

Hey we pulled the rug out under Jose, seem to be doing it to Conte, when emenalo gives another interview about another manager leaving maybe then we can start asking questions of him. Or maybe blame our negotiators who at least get us big money every time we gut the squad.

Maybe the master plan is win league, don't qualify for europe, win league with no distractions, don't qualify for europe, win league with no distractions again.

3 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

Why is it always us that sell to rivals? Other clubs don't allow it or if they do it's rare we seem to be selling to anyone.

Liverpool have Sturridge, Solanke and Salah, all ex-Chelsea, although of course we didn't sell all 3 to Liverpool.

Utd will have Matic, Mata and Mourinho.

Arsenal have Cech.

City have De Bruyne, though we didn't sell him to them.

It's becoming increasingly harder for Chelsea to sign players from other English clubs, now that we're no longer the biggest spenders.

West Ham, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton, Liverpool etc etc would all seemingly do business with another club, like City for example.

38 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

50 million for him on top of the Oscar and co money means we haven't spent that much really so in theory we should be able to bring in 3 or 4 more.

if we don't we are in big trouble as our squad is paper thin as it was before Matic even left. Costa is a goner too so we need reinforcements of the same level sharpish.

From last season we will have lost Ake, Terry, Chabola, RLC, Matic, Costa, Zouma, Begovic. We have brought in Rudiger, Bakayoko, Morata, Christensen and Caballero. So that's 8 players out and 5 in although I've probably missed a departure too! 

Agreed.

Mikel and Aina are the two you missed.

I won't lie, i'm not happy about this at all. Once again we are selling a player to one of our rivals, and in all honesty i am getting sick of it. They refuse to do business with us so why should keep helping them out ? £40m or £50m is a nice chunk of money for a player who has lost his spark and hasn't been able to regain it for some time now, but that money means nothing if we don't have a replacement already in. We may well have a replacement already lined up, but i would feel a lot more comfortable if that player was already here rather than worry and speculate.

The season starts for us in exactly one week and we have Fabregas, Kante and Baker as CM's, that's it. Bakayoko won't feature for a few weeks and has played zero minutes of pre season football, he's not even close to being ready for us, and being forced to go with Fabregas in a two man midfield for any length of time is not something i want to see. Fabregas is a fantastic footballer, but he can't play in a two man midfield anymore, that has been obvious since the disaster of 2015/16. The opposition will be rubbing their hands with glee if they see that midfield, one pass through and they are in.

I just don't understand this strategy of ours. Our squad is thinner than it's ever been. I can understand letting the odd player go here and there before bringing anybody else in, but it seems like we rarely sign a player anymore before we let other players go. Caballero, signed after we let Begovic go. Rudiger, signed after we let Terry and Ake go. Bakayoko, signed after we let Chalobah and Loftus-Cheek go. Morata is the only one we have signed where somebody hasn't gone first, and he's only here because Costa is leaving. 

We are one week from the season beginning and we are the only team out of the top sides that has let so many players go without bringing enough replacements in. With Matic leaving, that brings our total number of players who have left the club since January to 10, 11 when Costa leaves. We should be adding to the team, not shrinking it. We are already 3 players down through injury or lack of fitness. With the size of our squad, we can't afford injuries.

I don't know what's going on but it seem's like we are taking huge gambles right now and i could quite easily see things going really badly wrong. As its stands, we still need a few more players to fill this squad out. There is no way this squad is ready to compete in 4 competitions. With the way things are going, the training ground will be half kids and half senior players.

Agreed Scott! ^^^^

Time is running out, the Community Shield is not far away and although it is not really a competitive match we should have the squad at 90% strength at the very least. 

We still have questions in a lot of areas. I would hope we would only sell Matic if reinforcements are secured, I doubt Conte is this stupid but as I said time is a tickin'!