The Chronicles of Brendan 'Cringe Worthy' Rodgers

Zola
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

These are just soe plucked from a quick Google search:

1. ”It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes.”

2. “I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

3. On Luis Suarez: “He is a real warrior of spirit.”

4. “My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence.”

5. “I am not a power freak.” (We think the lady doth protest too much!)

6. “I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”

7. “When we have the football, everybody’s a player.”

8. “You train dogs, I like to educate players.”

9. ‘I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.”

10.”I use a quote with the players,“Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’.”

11. “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them.”

12. “Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.

13. “I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless.”

14. “I always say a squad is like a good meal – I’m not a great cook but a good meal takes a wee bit of time, but also to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.”

15. “All I’ll ever do is all I’ve ever done in any job, and that’s promise to fight for my life for the people of the city.”

16. On the ‘Being: Liverpool’ documentary: “It was something I didn’t watch, and thankfully it’s over.”

17. “I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football.”

18. “I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence.”

19. “The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”

20. “We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.”

I put this in the other thread, but it really sums up his bullshut perfectly, bearing in mind he's talking about Swansea who had just been beaten 2-0.

"It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful.

“Our intention is always to pass teams to a standstill, but give credit to Sunderland, they defended ever so well when other teams might have wilted.

“I suppose when you pay that kind of money for Sessegnon and Gardner, £7m and £5m, they will come up with those moments of real quality.

“Our objective at the start of this season was to stay in the league but I believe we can finish in the top 10. Of course, it is all about getting results but I still thought we were brilliant.”

These are just soe plucked from a quick Google search:

1. ”It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes.”

2. “I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

3. On Luis Suarez: “He is a real warrior of spirit.”

4. “My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence.”

5. “I am not a power freak.” (We think the lady doth protest too much!)

6. “I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”

7. “When we have the football, everybody’s a player.”

8. “You train dogs, I like to educate players.”

9. ‘I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.”

10.”I use a quote with the players,“Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’.”

11. “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them.”

12. “Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.

13. “I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless.”

14. “I always say a squad is like a good meal – I’m not a great cook but a good meal takes a wee bit of time, but also to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.”

15. “All I’ll ever do is all I’ve ever done in any job, and that’s promise to fight for my life for the people of the city.”

16. On the ‘Being: Liverpool’ documentary: “It was something I didn’t watch, and thankfully it’s over.”

17. “I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football.”

18. “I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence.”

19. “The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”

20. “We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.”

That is just cheating, give someone else a go :biggrin:

I remember in 2011 when he brought his Swansea side to the bridge. We all clapped him before kick-off. How times have changed.

To be fair it's not just because he's Liverpool manager, he changed with opportunity himself. He dumped his wife and left her for some blond model, and he said at Swansea he was not going to leave then once he got an offer from Liverpool he was off in a shot.

I don't like him one bit to be honest, I literally had more respect for Ferguson.

To be fair it's not just because he's Liverpool manager, he changed with opportunity himself. He dumped his wife and left her for some blond model, and he said at Swansea he was not going to leave then once he got an offer from Liverpool he was off in a shot.

I don't like him one bit to be honest, I literally had more respect for Ferguson.

Steady on

Fergie is a twat but he's also one of the greatest managers off all time. Rodgers is a twat and has never won a single trophy in his managerial career

Can't argue with that.

'There were probably 2 buses parked today, never mind one'

Made my day after that unlucky defeat.

That unlucky defeat was when you lost a reserve team, Gerrard fell over and made a tit of himself and you threw away your chances of ever winning the premier league?

Still witty quip from Rodgers, you'll always have that.

Here in America we have a baseball player very similar to Rodgers except he actually broke records and won Championships. His name was Rickey Henderson and to be fair was an amazing player. However he had the strangest quotes. Perhaps Rodgers is the white Irish Rickey Henderson. Here are some...

Personal favorite is quote/story number 2.

http://www.nysportspace.com/m/discussion?id=873694%3ATopic%3A5281

Edited by DoubleHelix

I could go on and on about Brent's lines... I happened to catch The Office by a friend studying in England at LSE. He knew I was a big Python/Fawlty Towers/ Doug Adams fan and sent me the DVD after the first season. To this day, I can watch that show and no matter how sh*tty of a mood I am in, I need to hear about five minutes of dialogue and I am off to do my day.

One of my favorites (and there are many) is:

Rowan: Hello, I'd wish to make a complaint.

David Brent: Not interested.

Rowan: My room is an absolute disgrace, the bathroom doesn't appear to have been cleaned.

David Brent: What room are you in?

Rowan: 362

David Brent: There is no 362 in this hotel... sometimes the complaints will be false.

David Brent: I'd like to make a complaint please

Rowan: Don't care

David Brent: Well I am staying at the hotel...

Rowan: Don't care, it's not my shift

David Brent: Well you're an ambassador for the hotel...

Rowan: I don't care

David Brent: I think you'll care when I tell you what the complaint is...

Rowan: I don't ca...

David Brent: I think there's been a rape up there.

David Brent: ...I got his attention. Get their attention

Edited by DoubleHelix

This may sound stupid but the thing I disliked the most about Ferguson is that he pressurised refs into favouring his team and then when one thing went against him he was up in arms. He nearly always got away with it, but it's a crime when Mourinho does it. 

I've seen this on twitter, a quote from the Make Us Dream book (yes it's a separate book from They Dared To Dream).

"After the final match of the season against Newcastle at Anfield, Rodgers walked back to his office with his family. He was asked when he had known the title had gone. Was it Steven Gerrards slip against Chelsea? 'No, no' he said. 'I knew when Jordan got sent off against Manchester City. I knew i couldn't replace him. But it's gone now. All that matters to me is that we made them dream'.

Yeah, they had just beaten City but he knew the title was gone because Henderson got sent off :rolleyes:

I've seen this on twitter, a quote from the Make Us Dream book (yes it's a separate book from They Dared To Dream).

"After the final match of the season against Newcastle at Anfield, Rodgers walked back to his office with his family. He was asked when he had known the title had gone. Was it Steven Gerrards slip against Chelsea? 'No, no' he said. 'I knew when Jordan got sent off against Manchester City. I knew i couldn't replace him. But it's gone now. All that matters to me is that we made them dream'.

Yeah, they had just beaten City but he knew the title was gone because Henderson got sent off :rolleyes:

Is that for real?

A more appropriate quote would be

"After the final match of the season against Newcastle at Anfield, Rodgers walked back to his office with his family. He was asked when he had known the title had gone. Was it Steven Gerrards slip against Chelsea? 'No, no' he said. 'I knew when I was an arrogant little s**t at Selhurst Park trying to chase an unattainable goal difference gap instead of ensuring we had the three points first.

As well, assuming this quote is real, imagine how it would make you feel if you were one of the other central midfielders. They only lost Jordan Henderson. Besides, in my opinion (barring a MAJOR injury and suspension crisis), if you have a replacement in your squad who you do not feel is capable then that is a major failure from management and the board room.