Ruben Loftus-Cheek

16 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I think the same. When Loftus-Cheek is on the ball, i can see there is an explosive side to his game waiting to get out, but it seems to me like he holds himself back and plays it safe. There were a few of these moments last night for England. This may just be something he will improve on with more experience, or it could just be part of his game, we'll just have to wait and see.

Absolutely, and this was proven when he chose not to hit a shot first time and instead messed about with it and was tackled. 

Edited by dkw

6 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

To be fair, our media has been hyping up RLC more than us Chelsea fans have, which is a surprise. So many names in English football coming out talking about his ability. I would not be surprised they saw his performance through tinted glasses. They clamber for any young English talent to be the next big thing, simply because we have so few of them. The English media w**k themselves silly over Rashford, hoping he'll be the next elite English player. The truth is, the England team has one "elite" player and that's Harry Kane. The rest are a mix of average and fringe world class. 

Mason Mount definitely is doing better things than RLC at the moment as proved by their stats. 

Mount - 29 apps, 8 goals, 9 assists in the league. 

Loftus-Cheek - 25 apps, 2 goals, 4 assists in the league. 

Different leagues I know, but Mount just seems to have a bit more to his game. The only defence for RLC could be that he isn't played centrally, which means he can't show off his abilities as well as he would maybe like. Both Hodgson and Southgate continue to play him in the wide positions. 

8 minutes ago, enigma said:

Mason Mount definitely is doing better things than RLC at the moment as proved by their stats. 

Different leagues I know, but Mount just seems to have a bit more to his game. The only defence for RLC could be that he isn't played centrally, which means he can't show off his abilities as well as he would maybe like. Both Hodgson and Southgate continue to play him in the wide positions. 

Is RLC best as a No. 10 or is he in the Pogba-mould of LCM?

4 hours ago, Zeta said:

Hardly a slam, just saying what we;'ve all been saying for years.

Not even remotely close to slamming, red top tabloid bullsh*t from Sky.

In the actual quotes from him in the article he even says he understands why opportunities are limited at Chelsea.

The problem is, we are between a huge club (the likes of Bayern, Utd, Real, Barca) who can afford to play youngsters and not so much worry about too much consequence, even if they win nothing for a season or two, and a side that's content to challenge every season or make top four (Arsenal, Pool, Spurs) and have zero pressure on. We are not really able to go two or more seasons consecutively not winning trophies otherwise our stock goes down with players, sponsors etc. We are in a difficult position to be able to take the risk with youth.

We actually don't know how good our youth are until they've played at a good level, and we need this assurance otherwise we're just pissing in the wind when it comes to promoting from within. I would like to see more youth come through, but if they have to go on loan then fair enough. I personally don't think RLC is better than Barkley, at least not yet until he's proven he can be a top player for a club. At the moment he doesn't score or assist anywhere near enough. 

Edited by enigma

There are some players in the youth setup who just look like they very well may be the goods though, and would bring something to the team in the near future, namely Hudson-Odoi, Ampadu, Redan, Reece James and Gilmour. I feel Mount would bring something to the team too. After watching RLC for Palace and in the World Cup, I'm struggling to see what he's going to offer in offence. He doesn't have the Eriksen or Cesc type vision; he doesn't have great pace; he doesn't have amazing dribbling ability and he doesn't enough of a goal threat in or outside the box. It's all well and good he can retain the ball well and play nice passes across the ground, but he needs to show that he can offer a lot more before he's ready to start for us. Saying that, however, I would take him over Bakayoko at the moment, unless Bakayoko improves next season. Right now if he came back to Chelsea, he would be behind Barkley in the pecking order. 

Edited by enigma

11 hours ago, enigma said:

There are some players in the youth setup who just look like they very well may be the goods though, and would bring something to the team in the near future, namely Hudson-Odoi, Ampadu, Redan, Reece James and Gilmour. I feel Mount would bring something to the team too. After watching RLC for Palace and in the World Cup, I'm struggling to see what he's going to offer in offence. He doesn't have the Eriksen or Cesc type vision; he doesn't have great pace; he doesn't have amazing dribbling ability and he doesn't enough of a goal threat in or outside the box. It's all well and good he can retain the ball well and play nice passes across the ground, but he needs to show that he can offer a lot more before he's ready to start for us. Saying that, however, I would take him over Bakayoko at the moment, unless Bakayoko improves next season. Right now if he came back to Chelsea, he would be behind Barkley in the pecking order. 

Surprisingly only Rudiger and Kante are faster within our squad.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/691819

On 29/06/2018 at 18:05, enigma said:

Ridiculous comparison.

Jonas scored triple what Morata did this season. 

Not even close to comparable leagues.

I don't see how he plays for Sarri. Sarri demands constant movement, massive amounts of pressing and high intensity at all times from his players. The speed at which they play is infinitely faster then Loftus-Cheek plays and his static nature won't run with Sarri.

His pressing is pathetic and half hearned,  his movement is good but very inconsistent and he often stands around waiting for his moment rather then constantly looking to exploit space the same way Mertens or Hamsik do. He needs to increase his industry before he can play for Sarri. 

I think Ampadu could play the Jorginho holding role if we do bring in Sarri. He has the passing range and vision to do it and I think he is wasted as a CB where he is often pitted in physical battles that he doesn't excel in. 

1 hour ago, RMH said:

Why hasn't he got more minutes since the Belgium match? I thought that last night might have been a good option. Dele Ali was rubbish and he should have been substituted much earlier, but why Rose and not RLC?

He had to change things at Wing back, as on neither flank were they able to press forward, and we became a 5-3-2 rather than a 3-5-2 and were getting over-run in midfield. hence Danny Rose was first sub.

I agree though that Southgate needed to try and change something else as well. We had very little offensive threat, Kane too deep, Sterling his usual frustrating promise, and Ali and Lingard offering very little ...

31 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

He had to change things at Wing back, as on neither flank were they able to press forward, and we became a 5-3-2 rather than a 3-5-2 and were getting over-run in midfield. hence Danny Rose was first sub.

I agree though that Southgate needed to try and change something else as well. We had very little offensive threat, Kane too deep, Sterling his usual frustrating promise, and Ali and Lingard offering very little ...

I thought extra time might have been the time to bring him on when the game had become more stretched and Alli and Lingard were tiring. He could have offered something different as unlike some of the others he does not get knocked off the ball.

My impression is that England lost completely the midfield, with Lingard and Dele Alli being very much missing throughout the second half. Young and Trippier were being pressed but responded well. I thought Southgate should have changed first the midfield to regain possession, which could have relieved the wings.

16 minutes ago, RMH said:

My impression is that England lost completely the midfield, with Lingard and Dele Alli being very much missing throughout the second half.

Thought Luca Modric was fantastic. Really wish we'd been able to sign him a few years ago .. and even at age 32 he'd still be worth a punt. Also thought Perisic was excellent for them - a real threat from the wing. You can see why Man U were linked with him last year.