Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Zola
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

If we look at this objectively just look at the clubs interested in him, Palace and Newcastle not Liverpool, Utd, City, Spurs or Arsenal.

No CFC manager is likely to guarantee him first team starts.

Let RLC decide.

Everton and Liverpool today are linked. Who are we buying instead? Who is going to get first team starts ahead of RLC?

Everton has a Barkley shaped hole so I can see why they want him. If he chose Liverpool, then say goodbye to a starting spot because Klopp prefers his CM to be alert and be workhorses for every game not to mention the fact that he'll have Fabinho, Keita, Wijnaldum and Ox to compete with. 

1 hour ago, Deino said:

Everton has a Barkley shaped hole so I can see why they want him. If he chose Liverpool, then say goodbye to a starting spot because Klopp prefers his CM to be alert and be workhorses for every game not to mention the fact that he'll have Fabinho, Keita, Wijnaldum and Ox to compete with. 

What, on their treatment table?

10 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

You hope that is just journo blabbing to fill papers and the club wouldn't be so short-sighted and daft to think that he doesn't deserve a chance to prove himself with this team. 

3 hours ago, dkw said:

Plenty or news that the club have told rlc he's going nowhere and will be a main player next season. 

That'd be brilliant if true. Really hope he makes it here. I think he's the real deal. Just lacks the experience that he should've gotten a couple years prior. After a successful loan spell at Palace and being called up to the WC, I think getting a run in with the first team next season would do him a world of good. Something tells me he's going to surprise everybody. Here's hoping.

Edited by Amputechture

From the Daily Mail;

Roy Hodgson hails Ruben Loftus-Cheek and claims England midfielder is better than Michael Ballack
 - Roy Hodgson believes Ruben Loftus-Cheek will cope with starting for England
 - The midfielder is in line to start against Panama in place of Dele Alli
 - Hodgson can see why Glenn Hoddle once likened him to Michael Ballack

More facets to his game than Michael Ballack; as gifted in tight spaces as Jack Wilshere when he was being heralded as the one English midfielder who could play for Spain.

Roy Hodgson thinks Ruben Loftus-Cheek is that good, and having spent the last nine months working with him at Crystal Palace he is confident he will cope with the demands of starting for England against Panama on Sunday.

'I do think he's ready, yes, definitely, 100 per cent,' Hodgson told Sportsmail on Friday. 
'We missed him enormously in the three months he was injured with his ankle problem.'
'I think he is absolutely ready and I think he showed that in his cameo against Tunisia the other night.'

Hodgson also, of course, speaks as a former England manager and someone with extensive knowledge of international football.

What he particularly likes about him is his versatility and he can see why Glenn Hoddle once likened the 22-year-old to Ballack.

'I think Ruben's internal midfield play is something that makes him very versatile,' he said.
'I don't know what his best position is. It really depends how teams want to play.'
'He could play in a central role in a four, but luckily for me he can also play as a wide player in a four.'
'But if you play with a defensive midfield player alongside him he could certainly do that, I'm sure.'
'I'd say he goes by people more than Ballack did. But I think he's got Ballack's power and his pace and his strength — he's definitely got that.'
'But he's maybe got more strings to his bow than even Ballack had. That's a bold thing to say, I know, but he's so good at going past people. He's got that deceptive turn of pace.'
'In that way he's a bit like Jack Wilshere really. That ability to receive a ball in tight situations and then come out very quickly on the other side and open a game up.'
'That's a skill because passing players can't do that. Passing players have to pass it and then get it back again.'
'Ruben can twist and turn his way out of tight situations and, as I say, open a game up. And then he's very powerful going forward.'
'I think he can add more goals to his game. I'm sure he will as time goes on.'

Gareth Southgate seems to share Hodgson's view.

'Everyone can see his size but he has lovely soft feet,' Southgate told ITV on Friday. 
'He receives the ball really well when surrounded in tight areas. He is strong enough to hold people off.'

'He has great acceleration driving with the ball at opposing players.' Hodgson said he wants to learn too.
'He's excellent, very receptive,' he said. 'He responds very well to the kind of coaching we do and the discipline I've always had in my teams.'
'He's a pleasure to coach, he really is.' So much so he would very much like to see Loftus-Cheek at Palace next season.
'It's up in the air,' he said. 'At the end of the day he belongs to Chelsea.
'If they decide to loan him out again we will be first in line with the begging bowl.'
'But right now there is no intimation that they are thinking of doing that. We've made it clear to them and to Ruben that we would love to work with him again.'
'It will be a long shot I fear because I think he's so good, and I think he may show that in this World Cup. He will go back to Chelsea and they will be very happy with what they have got.'

8 minutes ago, Stim said:

:face_palm::face_palm:

The type of overhyping that is thrust on many young players.

I think that was the Daily Mail with their typical sensationalist headline, what Hodgson actually said was that his ability to drift past players is better than Ballack.

If he can add goals (or just assists, or a combination of) to his game then he can start to be compared to Ballack imho. Ultimately Ballack was successful for whoever he played for, only time will tell if the same can be said about Loftus-Cheek.

Edited by the special one

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

If i was to compare him to another midfielder, it wouldn't be Ballack. I don't see any similarities at all. Ballack was a very different player from Loftus-Cheek.

His style of movement is very similar, an almost lackadaisical gait. But his style of football is completely different,  i agree with you there. 

2 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Pump the breaks. He's not saying RLC is better than Ballack, they're just using him as a reference point. Would you prefer he gets compared to Steve Sidwell or Fellaini? 

It's a big name to compare RLC to. Let RLC develop his own game and be his own player without associating him to any former Blues or player.

It creates unnecessary hype or worse, lets a player believe his own hype. The last thing we need for RLC is to have a Wilshere-like career

Edited by Deino

Our problem with developing our youngsters has always been that every manager has prioritised players who we've splashed big money on, even when they have not performed. We have to treat RLC as a big money signing, and pretend we spent loads more on him than we did on Baka, Barkley and Drinkwater. He's more talented than the three of them combined and deserves the chance to establish himself.

Would love him to make it here and hold down a regular place, he certainly has the talent to do so. 

The only worry for me is no one seems to know his best position even Woy Hodgson has said so.

Most of his best football has been when he has been played further up the pitch imo.