Lewis Baker- Could he make it?

I really hope one of our youth players makes it into our starting 11 sometime soon.

It's always nice seeing a youth product break through. The last player we saw playing regularly was Bertrand, but I don't know if we'll see him playing for us again. 

Baker, , Ake, Chalobah, Swift and Kiwomya look like excellent players, but to be completely honest I doubt any of them will ever make in into our starting 11.

Maybe when it's clear Abramovic has full confidence in Mourinho, and when it's clear he will be here for the long term things will change.

I have been hoping that for some time, even more so since our success in the FA Youth Cup since 2010. But as it has been said many, many times, the demand at our club for success every season means no manager can take a gamble. I thought Ancelotti and then AVB would both have looked to use youth players more but (a) it was a gamble and then (b) neither were here long enough anyway.

Mourinho doesn't have a record of trusting youth players - far from it. But when he was re-appointed and it was made clear he was here to build something long-term, I did think maybe some of the academy have a chance. But I'm still not over optimistic as next season he will be expected to win something, so all the time there is that demand for success, it's hard to gamble and show a bit of faith in youngsters - hence so many of ours being sent out on loan. At Liverpool, Rodgers has had the benefit of no pressure and no expectation so he has played the likes of Sterling and Flanagan and reaped the rewards.

As for Baker, have to admit the lad has really surprised me. When I first saw him I thought he was an adequate midfielder but nothing special, a bit like Connor Clifford in the 2010 side. But he has continued to improve and has really added a lot to his game and both he and Swift have a fair amount of skill and both get their fair share of goals.

Still early days but we can live in hope.

When Lampard and Terry were introduced to the team, there was no pressure. Unfortunately, owners want instant success and I can't realistically see another lampard or terry coming through the ranks.

Lampard arriving as a £11m signing came with huge pressure and expectation.

Terry had World Cup winners ahead of him in the team.

Their talent and hard work was huge, don't down play their achievement in establishing themselves at Chelsea.

Their talent and hard work was huge, don't down play their achievement in establishing themselves at Chelsea.

I agree there was pressure for them to succeed, but in terms of pressure on the coach to play them, there wasn't so much as at the time chelsea weren't in the same position as they are now. In the current day, there's big expectations for us to win as much as possible, so less likely to risk playing youth players. I would like to see barker of all the youngsters make it, though. If we don't bring them through, they'll end up being snapped up by our rivals who will put faith in them.

To be fair terry had lebeouf and Desailly infront of him, but not much else.

If christiansen wants to break through, he has terry, cahill, luiz, ivanovic, zouma, kalas, and omerou, all full internations ahead of him.

Its depth of talent in front of the youth team which makes it so difficult.

I think baker has a shot because he I dont see anyone outstanding in front of him, fir that midfield spot next to matic.

Kiwomya will probably never see the first team, because of strength we have the club in his position. He would have to go out on loan and hit nearly a goal every other game, to be considered for the a place in the squad.

I'm hoping that Baker gets a game against Cardiff City, he's had about 2 minutes game time this season, and that is a problem, we never give these young players a chance. I hope Lewis doesn't become another Josh McEachran, spending time out on loan at several below par teams, not really improving his game.

• 2 weeks later...