JMaher94

Michy Batshuayi to Chelsea

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

We will need to find a replacement for Pedro and Willian soon, but I don't want that replacement to be Zaha. He's not anywhere near as special as some say he is, he hasn't even scored a goal yet this season. This would also mean we would need to find another striker, because it looks like Lampard prefers Batshuayi over Giroud right now.

I quite like Zaha, i wouldn't be that agains't it but id rather we waited until the summer and see if we can try to buy Sancho. But i quite like this guy, good for a backup striker and never complains. Im glad he is infront of Giroud, Giroud lack of pace just annoys me.

41 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

I quite like Zaha, i wouldn't be that agains't it but id rather we waited until the summer and see if we can try to buy Sancho.

I haven't seen his stats yet this season, but I've preferred Richarlison over Zaha.... Maybe it's that scowl, but he just seems more determined. 

Should we get to the end of the season and Tammy has has turned into a serious top class striker (signs are very very good but I need more sample size before I declare) then the best course of action will be to sign a good experienced pro to backup/compliment him, to give us an option to play up front with Tammy and also keep Tammy on his toes so he knows he has to keep going to keep his place.

Someone who isn't so good he can't be on the bench but is good enough to push him who also won't be ridiculously expensive. It will be tough to find a suitable player but there will be one out there somewhere.

31 minutes ago, Argo said:

Should we get to the end of the season and Tammy has has turned into a serious top class striker (signs are very very good but I need more sample size before I declare) then the best course of action will be to sign a good experienced pro to backup/compliment him, to give us an option to play up front with Tammy and also keep Tammy on his toes so he knows he has to keep going to keep his place.

Someone who isn't so good he can't be on the bench but is good enough to push him who also won't be ridiculously expensive. It will be tough to find a suitable player but there will be one out there somewhere.

Even if Tammy continues to improve and ends up with 20+ goals, i'd still like us to try and sign a high quality striker in the summer and not just as a backup. If we're going to challenge City and Liverpool in the next couple of years, we're going to need the kind of firepower they have up front and have more than one forward scoring lots of goals.

6 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

We will need to find a replacement for Pedro and Willian soon, but I don't want that replacement to be Zaha. He's not anywhere near as special as some say he is, he hasn't even scored a goal yet this season. This would also mean we would need to find another striker, because it looks like Lampard prefers Batshuayi over Giroud right now.

Zaha's scoring stats need to improve but the issue is that he is the one quality player in that team. Teams literally are now double marking him because they know he is Palace one genuine attacking threat. Must be really frustrating for him. If he went to a better team, he is around attacking quality around his level which means teams know he is not the only threat in the team and he probably would be able to thrive more. I don't think he will set the world alight but think he would be a good option to replace Willian/Pedro if they are to leave. He really needs to be playing in a better team.

7 hours ago, Argo said:

Cavani is available next season on a free.. we could probably tempt him if in the UCL.. top class striker with an insane work rate..

35 minutes ago, Jangz said:

Cavani is available next season on a free.. we could probably tempt him if in the UCL.. top class striker with an insane work rate..

I dont think we will try to sign him. Would seem to go against the direction the club is taking. I dont expect us to sign any big name players the other side of 30 who would want big wages, except possibly a leader at the back.

I hope Mitchy gets his chance because there's a player there. Certainly at back up if Abraham keeps playing the way he is.

Edited by DP2

10 hours ago, Dixons said:

Even if Tammy continues to improve and ends up with 20+ goals, i'd still like us to try and sign a high quality striker in the summer and not just as a backup. If we're going to challenge City and Liverpool in the next couple of years, we're going to need the kind of firepower they have up front and have more than one forward scoring lots of goals.

That doesn’t work anymore though, look around Europe and find 2 quality forwards on the same team. The closest you will find is Icardi & Cavani; the former’s issues are well documented and PSG were the only takers on an initial loan move, and the latter at 32 is probably on his last season for a top European club. 

No top player is going to sit on the bench when he can start for another big team. If Tammy hits 15+ premier league goals, I’d rather keep Batshuayi as backup and spend big on a top class winger.

4 hours ago, Jangz said:

Just checked his age, he'll be 33 in Feb. Keep a couple  of our older players (Willian and Dave) but look to sign younger, hungrry players.

I would go for Luka Jovic if it doesn't work out for him at Madrid, he was quality for Frankfurt last season. Young and talented, he could easily rotate with Tammy and I think our style of play would suit him more.

I do hope that Bats does well though, he can score goals but he just needs that consistency to his play.

Edited by Malcolm9

16 hours ago, Dixons said:

I think it would be counterproductive to sign a marquee striker should Tammy be on the way to becoming top class unless we're going two up top or said new forward can double up as a winter. People will cite to Auba and Lacazette at Arsenal but I actually think despite the excellent records of both that having to accommodate the pair holds them back a bit, especially against top opposition.

A prime Anelka of Gabriel Jesus esque signing is what we should be looking at if all goes to plan with Tammy then we can put all our big funds into a CB and LB which as it stands are our most urgent needs.

33 minutes ago, Argo said:

I think it would be counterproductive to sign a marquee striker should Tammy be on the way to becoming top class unless we're going two up top or said new forward can double up as a winter. People will cite to Auba and Lacazette at Arsenal but I actually think despite the excellent records of both that having to accommodate the pair holds them back a bit, especially against top opposition.

A prime Anelka of Gabriel Jesus esque signing is what we should be looking at if all goes to plan with Tammy then we can put all our big funds into a CB and LB which as it stands are our most urgent needs.

Let's also give Michy a season under Lampard before making a decision, IMO.

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Let's also give Michy a season under Lampard before making a decision, IMO.

Remember that Giroud is almost certain to leave in the summer, so he's going to need replacing.  So next season we should be going with Tammy, Bats + new, hopefully young (mid - 20's) forward.  I dont see the point replacing one old forward with another.

2 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Remember that Giroud is almost certain to leave in the summer, so he's going to need replacing.  So next season we should be going with Tammy, Bats + new, hopefully young (mid - 20's) forward.  I dont see the point replacing one old forward with another.

I think we need to see how far Michy improves before we know the quality of striker we will need to replace Giroud.

18 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

I would go for Luka Jovic if it doesn't work out for him at Madrid, he was quality for Frankfurt last season. Young and talented, he could easily rotate with Tammy and I think our style of play would suit him more.

I do hope that Bats does well though, he can score goals but he just needs that consistency to his play.

Jovic will be crazy to swap Madrid’s bench for a rotational role behind an in-form striker. As highly as I rate him a forward I just can’t see him making 2 dumb moves consecutively.

15 hours ago, Dixons said:

I don't think three strikers in a one striker system is sustainable unless one of them double up as a winger or is in his twilight and doesn't really care about playing time (Drogba when he returned). We've done it this year and two months in one of them is making soundbites that he's far from happy.

26 minutes ago, Argo said:

I don't think three strikers in a one striker system is sustainable unless one of them double up as a winger or is in his twilight and doesn't really care about playing time (Drogba when he returned). We've done it this year and two months in one of them is making soundbites that he's far from happy.

I'm not talking about playing all three at the same time, or adding another centre forward. Just want to add another forward who's a good goal scorer.

Just look at the goal power of City who play with Aguero, Sane and Sterling. Liverpool with Salah and Mane. If we're going to catch then we're going to need similar to that.

3 minutes ago, Dixons said:

I'm not talking about playing all three at the same time, or adding another centre forward. Just want to add another forward who's a good goal scorer.

Just look at the goal power of City who play with Aguero, Sane and Sterling. Liverpool with Salah and Mane. If we're going to catch then we're going to need similar to that.

Four of those five are wing-forwards.

I think @Argo was referring more to CF's. 

1 hour ago, Dixons said:

Yes Wing-Forwards not centre forwards, having 3 centre forwards is a bad idea in the long run as it’s unsustainable. Gabriel Jesus at City is already getting restless playing backup to Aguero, only reason he hasn’t left is Aguero is leaving in 2002. Liverpool’s backup to Firmino is Origi who can also play on the wings. 

Like an earlier poster said, Giroud will most likely push for an exit in Jan. 

21 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Yes Wing-Forwards not centre forwards, having 3 centre forwards is a bad idea in the long run as it’s unsustainable. Gabriel Jesus at City is already getting restless playing backup to Aguero, only reason he hasn’t left is Aguero is leaving in 2002. Liverpool’s backup to Firmino is Origi who can also play on the wings. 

Like an earlier poster said, Giroud will most likely push for an exit in Jan. 

If only I could afford a time machine like he can with all his money. 

Lucky man. 

21 hours ago, Argo said:

Agree with this. 

I cant see giroud or batshuayi being happy to play second fiddle again next season,  so id imagine both will probably go. 

Personally i would go for another young hungry striker, that would make Abraham the senior option. I really like the look of Haaland, he seems ready for the premier league. Other than that, the nigerian striker from lille looked a handful, and he has been prolific aswell this season. Osimneh?

I cant see the point in bringing in a big name striker, who will want massive wages, if he is going to find himself on the bench. 

We need a young hungry striker, that see's chelsea as a big step, and is young enough to be content with developing as a second choice striker. 

53 minutes ago, big blue said:

Agree with this. 

I cant see giroud or batshuayi being happy to play second fiddle again next season,  so id imagine both will probably go. 

Personally i would go for another young hungry striker, that would make Abraham the senior option. I really like the look of Haaland, he seems ready for the premier league. Other than that, the nigerian striker from lille looked a handful, and he has been prolific aswell this season. Osimneh?

I cant see the point in bringing in a big name striker, who will want massive wages, if he is going to find himself on the bench. 

We need a young hungry striker, that see's chelsea as a big step, and is young enough to be content with developing as a second choice striker. 

I also like the look of Håland, and Osimhen did well in the game last week but that’s the only time I’ve seen him play, so unsure on him still.

1 hour ago, big blue said:

Agree with this. 

It looks like Giroud is now 3rd choice, so I'm sure he'll move on next year, but not so sure about Bats.

Move to a Palace level team for regular starts,  or be a valuable squad member of an exciting young squad  that might challenge for the title in the next couple of years? We have lots of games a season, so he should get enough playing time to keep him happy.

We're also likely to see either Pedro or Willian move on next year (my money is on Pedro) so if Bats does leave we're going to need to bring in more than one forward.

34 minutes ago, Dixons said:

It looks like Giroud is now 3rd choice, so I'm sure he'll move on next year, but not so sure about Bats.

Move to a Palace level team for regular starts,  or be a valuable squad member of an exciting young squad  that might challenge for the title in the next couple of years? We have lots of games a season, so he should get enough playing time to keep him happy.

We're also likely to see either Pedro or Willian move on next year (my money is on Pedro) so if Bats does leave we're going to need to bring in more than one forward.

I just think with batshuayi, he has played second fiddle for about 4 seasons, his contract is running down, and can see the club and him both seeing a sae as the best option.