Alex Sandro

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sandro is a great player, but it seems like an odd transfer to me.

We spend 25million on Alonso, who comes in, does a good job, only to be replaced by someone else for 60million the following year. Then all of a sudden we have two expensive LB's (in their prime age), vying for one spot. Sandro wins that battle, so Alonso is left on the bench.

Honestly, heading into this window, I thought any signings for the wing-backs would be a younger backup to Alonso, and maybe a first choice RWB to usurp Moses' spot.

49 minutes ago, Cam said:

We spend 25million on Alonso, who comes in, does a good job, only to be replaced by someone else for 60million the following year. Then all of a sudden we have two expensive LB's (in their prime age), vying for one spot. Sandro wins that battle, so Alonso is left on the bench.

Honestly, heading into this window, I thought any signings for the wing-backs would be a younger backup to Alonso, and maybe a first choice RWB to usurp Moses' spot.

This is why I keep saying I think we are looking for a CB and Dave back to RB either in a 4 or RWB in a 3

I agree with that but sometimes you just take what's available. I like Moses though particularly at the start of the season. Alonso's height is hard to replace.

5 hours ago, Cam said:

Thing is, when you get the chance to buy a world class player in a position where your player isn't world class, you don't turn down that chance. Alonso is never going to make it into the Spain squad anyway so he doesn't exactly have world cup hopes. I'm sure he'll be fine with earning what he's earning at Chelsea plus playing 25-30 games a season. I think he'll be content tbh.

5 hours ago, Cam said:

I think with both these left backs we have great options depending on the opposition. If we are playing a stoke, or west brom type team then theres not much to fear down the wings so we can either go for attack and throw Sandro at them, or if its at there place play Alonso who can tuck in and help the centre backs with the aerial bombardment. 

On 6/17/2017 at 23:54, Xfaxtor said:

Not a fan of Dave the Wing back AT ALL. His biggest weakness as a right or left back is his offensive output at wingback it will be even more evident imo. But looking at our rumoured targets and the amounts of CBs we have been linked to even with Christensen coming back, you got to wonder if this isnt Contes plan. At least that side would be fairly locked down defensively

He would be good cover for Moses when we want to be more conservative but he's so good at RCB we'd be sacrificing 1 position for another. I think Conte wants to bring back 4-2-4 but Cahill and Luiz were torn apart in a back 4 and unless we're signing a new CB to play alongside Luiz its hard to see Dave not being our RCB in a 3. If we sign someone who is good enough to play on the outside of the 3 its going to be hard to convince them its ok to only play the odd match Dave is at RWB unless we're phasing Cahill out which would be fine by me, he's only good enough against 75% of the opposition we play against; if we want to be a force in Europe anyway. 

41 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

In modern football class fullbacks are very important

100% agree. Their responsibility has increased not to mention their touches and the amount of space they have to cover. There's a reason we're bidding 50m+ . The wingbacks make or break us

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

Guest Sindre
39 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

In modern football class fullbacks are very important

Even more so when you use a back three and wingback system. Wingbacks have an argument for being one of the most important players on the team in that system.

3 hours ago, JM7 said:

£60m on a left back? No wonder the board are digging their heels in. Surely there are other areas of the pitch that we need to strengthen 

You do realize in our system the left wingback is even more crucial as it allows Hazard to roam and be less defensive alongside shutting down that left channel from opposing wingers and fullbacks while being the one that slows down attackers going at Cahill arguably our weakest CB of the 3, yes?

Not to mention Alonso is the only one playing wide that can supply decent crosses. Our system is set up in such a way that it becomes good when everyone pulls their weight and suffers badly and in some cases catastrophically when any of them is poor. 

I really like Sandro but I can't help but feel if we are going to spend £60m on a player it should be in a position we actually need a player. And if this was going to be a wing-back I'd rather it be on the right hand side as it'd be very harsh to sign a replacement for him after such a good season.

12 hours ago, Cam said:

Alonso is a good player who has exceeded expectations this season, but he is not world class like Sandro is. Personally, i am in favour of big squads with top class players competing against each other for their position, we need that to compete in the Champions League. 

52 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Alonso is a good player who has exceeded expectations this season, but he is not world class like Sandro is. Personally, i am in favour of big squads with top class players competing against each other for their position, we need that to compete in the Champions League. 

We had 2 top players for almost every position during Mourinho's first spell, and for a few seasons after. We were such a strong side for a good few seasons. IMO we should have won the CL three times between 2005 and 2012. So for me Sandro is definitely the level of quality we should be recruiting.

Edited by Osgood is Good

7 minutes ago, rooomage said:

Apart from playing as a wingback for us, Sandro should be able to play at the left side of central midfield (Matic's role). A position we might need him as an emergency cover

Alonso can also play as a central back so we get coverage from both left wing backs then.

59 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't deny Sandro is a better player. I just feel as though to spend a club record fee on a player a single year after spending (pretty successfully) on that exact position should be limited to a scenario where the rest of the team is sorted. Priorities lie elsewhere, for me anyway.

That said, I would of course be excited if we sign him...because he's an outstanding player. It's not my money, if this is the way the club wants to go, I have no real course to complain.

57 minutes ago, Batshuayi said:

I really like Sandro but I can't help but feel if we are going to spend £60m on a player it should be in a position we actually need a player. And if this was going to be a wing-back I'd rather it be on the right hand side as it'd be very harsh to sign a replacement for him after such a good season.

We do need a player at wingback, it's arguably the most crucial need for reinforcement after CM.

Firstly if we took one of Moses or Alonso out last season the team structure was off, secondly it's a hugely demanding position physically, Antonio always made an in game change there during the Euro's for Italy. Lastly (and most importantly) we need the option's to give us the chance to revert to a flat back four, Alonso and Moses can't do that, Sandro can.

Sandro and Alonso would be brilliant option's to have, we would be able to safely rest Sandro in CL group stage and before knockout ties safe in the knowledge Alonso would cover no problem.

7 minutes ago, Cam said:

I don't deny Sandro is a better player. I just feel as though to spend a club record fee on a player a single year after spending (pretty successfully) on that exact position should be limited to a scenario where the rest of the team is sorted. Priorities lie elsewhere, for me anyway.

That said, I would of course be excited if we sign him...because he's an outstanding player. It's not my money, if this is the way the club wants to go, I have no real course to complain.

We don't need to worry ourselves about overpaying for a player. One thing I know very well is that Abramovich is a shrewd business man he would be able to take care of the books well.

Chelsea needs world class players now to be able to compete favourably in the PL and CL. In today's market, everything seems to be insanely crazy. 

37 minutes ago, Argo said:

We do need a player at wingback, it's arguably the most crucial need for reinforcement after CM.

Firstly if we took one of Moses or Alonso out last season the team structure was off, secondly it's a hugely demanding position physically, Antonio always made an in game change there during the Euro's for Italy. Lastly (and most importantly) we need the option's to give us the chance to revert to a flat back four, Alonso and Moses can't do that, Sandro can.

Sandro and Alonso would be brilliant option's to have, we would be able to safely rest Sandro in CL group stage and before knockout ties safe in the knowledge Alonso would cover no problem.

Not disagreeing in the fact we need 'someone', however would we not be best placed to sign someone who's perhaps more of an up and coming LWB for half the price? Say Jose Gaya from Valencia, rather than splashing out £60m on someone who will effectively replace Alonso. Alonso has done more than enough to justify a starting position for next season, what sort of message would that give high performing Chelsea players knowing they'll be replaced at the drop of a hat?

41 minutes ago, Cam said:

I can certainly see your logic in looking to sign world class players for positions we need to prioritize. The problem is, signing world class players in general is a very difficult proposition and we've had our share of failings in this respect despite having plenty of money and top club prestige. So if we have a shot in hell of landing Alex Sandro, we should go for it, simple as that. Same for every other world class player we may land, whether they're a number one priority for the current squad or not. If Real Madrid's success teaches us anything is that you can never have too many world class footballers.