Kylian Mbappe

Kinkladze1871
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I know this a Chelsea rumors forum but given he's linked with Barca/Real/City/United/Chelsea, I thought i'd make this to debate what you gals/guys think he's worth and would it be worth the punt for your club?

We bought Gabriel Jesus for £27 mill and while he's shown flashes of brilliance, You could argue Mbappe might be better however given the price range being thrown out there, £60/70 mill, Would he be worth the money? Imagine paying that kind of money for Rashford after his brilliant start last year? If you had a choice of spunking £60 mil on Mbappe on one season's heroics or £80/90 mill on Kane/Lukaku, Which one of those options would you choose? It's a tough one for me since Mbappe could easily be a future ballon d'or winner and that £60 mil will be nothing, Whereas Lukaku/Kane are consistently scoring 20/25 goals a season however i don't see them having that high of a ceiling as Mbappe possibly could. If Costa goes to China, Which way would you lean?

He's an incredible talent, more so than Jesus from what I have seen.

Sometimes you look at a player like back when Rooney, Ronaldo and co were 17/18 and you just know they are destined for huge things. I see the very same in this kid.

How much is he worth? Well it's all relative is it not? I mean China are paying £60 million odd for various players in and around Europe who are not exactly world class.

The boy would be an investment at 18 with his potential and current ability I think he'd be a great signing for any side. He will go for huge money no doubt and it will just be a case of who bid's highest.

3 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

Not a signing for Chelsea and I wouldn't want us to sign him either despite his immense talent. Whoever signs him is just grooming him for Madrid in 3-5 years time. Not worth the trouble imo.

So if he gives you a great 3-5 seasons it's not worth it when at  t end of it he moves for crazy money?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Most players if they get to that world class level will be moving onto those clubs regardless.

Edited by Chelsbear

2 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

So if he gives you a great 3-5 seasons it's not worth it when at  t end of it he moves for crazy money?

Most players if they get to that world class level will be moving onto those clubs regardless.

There is no guarantee it will be 3-5 great seasons. He's a young lad. If he spends 5 seasons, he could spend 3 continuing his development and giving you 2 great seasons. Not worth it.

18 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

He's an incredible talent, more so than Jesus from what I have seen.

Sometimes you look at a player like back when Rooney, Ronaldo and co were 17/18 and you just know they are destined for huge things. I see the very same in this kid.

How much is he worth? Well it's all relative is it not? I mean China are paying £60 million odd for various players in and around Europe who are not exactly world class.

The boy would be an investment at 18 with his potential and current ability I think he'd be a great signing for any side. He will go for huge money no doubt and it will just be a case of who bid's highest.

That's a very good point but if you notice one thing about the examples you gave, They all had veteran strikers in the squad next to them, Unfortunately for us we can't go in for him due to our current crop of young players as it is and the only way possible of fitting in him would be if we sold Aguero to Real however that is not happening given their obsession with Hazard, He will most likely be their marquee signing this summer. Even if we sold Aguero and bought Mbappe it leaves us in a very precarious situation of having to rely upon two teenage sensations without an ounce of Premier League experience, Now if Pep said he was staying for more than the 3/4 years he is contracted to us for, You could allow them time to bed in and see what happens even if it meant Chelsea/United taking the title again next year. 

If Costa stays and Abramovich wants to spend the possible Hazard money or even just not want a repeat of the Djilibodji/Michael Hector transfer window following on from a title winning season then Mbappe is more than worth it, Griezmann is either staying put or heading to that lot and whilst i initially thought Sanchez was tailor made for Chelsea, How do Arsenal sell him to Chelsea and give Wenger a contract extension at the same time without their fans rioting?

3 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

Exactly.  For the most part, if you are top world class player you are going to end up at either barca or real...especially with their best players getting up there in age.  Every player is an investment.  If Mbappe is available and we can get him for a solid 5 years where we win trophies and then sell him for a massive profit...well...I'd have it. 

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

There is no guarantee it will be 3-5 great seasons. He's a young lad. If he spends 5 seasons, he could spend 3 continuing his development and giving you 2 great seasons. Not worth it.

Maybe, but then again, Ronaldo had 3 development season's and 3 great season's at United and they got a hatrick of title's and a CL out of it. Plus if he is looking for a stepping stone i highly doubt he will come here.

34 minutes ago, Argo said:

Maybe, but then again, Ronaldo had 3 development season's and 3 great season's at United and they got a hatrick of title's and a CL out of it. Plus if he is looking for a stepping stone i highly doubt he will come here.

I don't think Chelsea are interested in him anyway so no worries.

On 30/03/2017 at 05:25, summer is coming said:

Agree with@barrettinator, why sign a player who already has his heart set elsewhere?. We are looking to establish ourselves as a major force in Europe. The likes of Madrid and Barcelona shouldn't think they've got a free pass to any player they want and I think that should start this summer with hazard.

Agreed. If we want Conte and our best players to stay we need to show our ambitions of getting to the level of Madrid, Barca and Bayern. We wont get there by selling them our best players. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2017 at 09:14, Chelsbear said:

Agree with most of it, but I really don't understand people's fear of Madrid on here. You'd think we were Arsenal the way people talk about Madrid taking players if they perform well here. 

We're not a selling club.

I reckon you can count on one hand the amount of players who've really wanted a move based on wanting to go on to better things. 

In regard to this kid, I'd sign him whatever the price, his potential is insane & he already looks an outstanding player at 18, in the words of Harry Redknapp 'He'll go right to the top, right to the very top'

2 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Agree with most of it, but I really don't understand people's fear of Madrid on here. You'd think we were Arsenal the way people talk about Madrid taking players if they perform well here. 

We're not a selling club.

I reckon you can count on one hand the amount of players who've really wanted a move based on wanting to go on to better things. 

In regard to this kid, I'd sign him whatever the price, his potential is insane & he already looks an outstanding player at 18, in the words of Harry Redknapp 'He'll go right to the top, right to the very top'

It's not fear it's just being realistic.

Man U are not a selling club but they lost their best player to them

Barcelona are not a selling club but they lost Figo to them

Juve at the time were not a selling club but Zidane went to them

It's not really about being a selling club but the fact Madrid have a strong hold over foreign players because they are the biggest club in world football and most players can only dream of ever playing for them. Usually more often than not when Madrid target someone they really want them get them no matter what club they are at, history shows this time after time.  

6 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

It's not fear it's just being realistic.

Man U are not a selling club but they lost their best player to them

Barcelona are not a selling club but they lost Figo to them

Juve at the time were not a selling club but Zidane went to them

It's not really about being a selling club but the fact Madrid have a strong hold over foreign players because they are the biggest club in world football and most players can only dream of ever playing for them. Usually more often than not when Madrid target someone they really want them get them no matter what club they are at, history shows this time after time.  

I get that but these are one offs, everyone's talking about it as if it happens every season. 

I've seen people say they don't want Mbappe & Morata because Real will come calling if they do well. Along with them apparently taking Hazard.

i just don't see us hypothetically selling them 3 players in the space of as many years.

it genuinely baffles me why anyone would dream of playing for Madrid nowadays, their fans are a joke. Historically I can understand it and I know every club has them but large numbers of them have booed the likes of Ronaldo who has been outstanding for them since he joined. They booed Bale as well last season I think it was.

There has also been a few players Madrid tried and failed for aswell. Vieira, Lamps, Gerrard, Henry. 

I don't think Madrid pushing to sign star players is a good reason not to bring in players in the 1st place. 

It's a long time since they signed the best player of another top European club, and with the premier league only getting stronger financially, it will make it harder for them to do so in the future. 

It's getting harder for real and barca financially in Spain, with the latter struggling to renew contracts for MSN.  

Mbappe looks the real deal, as does dembele. The only issue I have in either, would be they both play in hazards position. 

Maybe mbappe will go on to be an out an out striker, but he seems to do a lot of his best work down that left flank, so I'm not he would be the best fit with hazard in the side.

i do think he could be a flash in the pan like many of these youngsters. there's been a myriad of young strikers with bags of potential who do well one season, get hyped to the rafters then full off. he does look very clinical i will admit, but at 18 years old it's way too early to tell. he's also playing around a lot of other talented players in a standout monaco side.