Have to say that this boy is the real deal...I've been keeping an eye on his development since his early Rangers days and he has impressed everytime I've seen him...not many of our youngsters will sadly make it into our first team but this kid is probably the most likeliest...keep it up lad...

Edited by doctorblue

Billy Gilmour made his first appearance for Scotland Under-21s as they secured an impressive 1-0 win over hosts France at the Toulon Tournament.

Having been an unused sub at the weekend, 16-year-old Gilmour was handed a start in the Scotland midfield in this evening’s game and the youngster, who picked up the Chelsea Scholar of the Year award recently, looked comfortable in his surroundings.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/5/30/internationals--gilmour-features-in-big-win-for-scots

He's just signed his first professional contract with us this week according to the bbc sport site.

I can't find anything on the official club site. about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44723798

More on the Daily Record site

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/billy-gilmour-signs-first-professional-12855212

Edited by erskblue

Very interesting short video of what the players are doing at the youth level. Training, gym, media education and so on. Really top level stuff by Chelsea. No wonder we are producing top players these days.

Great future for Billy with us I feel. At the moment it is hard to break in to the first team with so many players in front of him. Already a debut though.

Can we move this conversation under General?

As ecstatic as I was to see a young Scot playing for Chelsea again, I think he was introduced at the wrong time and looked really out of place.  

Hopefully see a bit more of him when he gets a chance to actually play, but I think the midfield is currently stacked against him

Billy Gilmour: Scotland will benefit from Chelsea debut - Aberdeen's Lewis Ferguson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49567849

By Heather Dewar

BBC Scotland

Chelsea's Tammy Abraham is replaced with Billy Gilmour against Sheffield United

Lewis Ferguson thinks Billy Gilmour's progress to the Chelsea first team will help him wreak revenge with Scotland Under-21s in Croatia.

The Aberdeen midfielder is still smarting from his club side's defeat by Rijeka in Europa League qualifying.

He and Gilmour joined up with the national set-up shortly after the latter made his Chelsea debut as a late substitute against Sheffield United.

"He's a top player and works hard and I'm buzzing for him," Ferguson said.

"Having him in the national set-up will be good for the squad."

Ferguson and the 18-year-old midfielder, who moved to Stamford Bridge two years ago, were team-mates in Rangers' youth system.

The 20-year-old admits he would one day like to follow his "good pal" to England's top flight.

"It's good to see someone you know going and making his mark in the Premier League, because that's everyone's dream," Ferguson said.

"But, right now, I'm just focusing on playing for Aberdeen and doing my best for them and the future will take me to wherever it does."

Ferguson's immediate future is an opening European Under-21 Championship qualifier against San Marino in Paisley on Thursday in which he admits his side will be overwhelming favourites, followed by Tuesday's more testing trip to Stadion Sibenik.

"I was in Croatia a couple of weeks ago and it was disappointing, so I don't want to go back and get another disappointment," he said.

"I'm hoping to get a bit of revenge. It gives you more motivation to go over there and do well as I don't want to feel the same way again."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45413994

Chelsea and Scotland's Billy Gilmour eyes becoming one of world's best

That's always been my ambition, to be the best player."

If any normal footballer pipes up and says he wants to become one of the best in the world, the normal reaction is to smile politely and promptly forget all about it.

But, when 17-year-old Billy Gilmour was asked what his ultimate ambition is, you can't help hope there might be a chance it could actually come true.

To become one of the best players in the world? "In the world, yeah," the midfielder replies. "I think every kid's dream should be that.

"If someone is better than me, I want to be better than them. I've always had a winning mentality and I hate losing, so when I see someone doing better, I need to match them."

How about taking Scotland to a major championship? "Definitely. That should be the next thing, hopefully."

It's remarkable confidence, but it's been a remarkable rise for Gilmour.

After being linked with Bayern Munich and Barcelona, he ended up leaving Rangers for Chelsea. He went to the Toulon Tournament at the age of just 16 - and took the under-20s competition by storm.

Not only did he win the Revelation of the Tournament award, but he also became the Scots' youngest-ever scorer as they reached the semi-finals. He even wore the captain's armband.

'No better midfielder'

His Scotland Under-17s coach, Brian McLaughlin, said that there was no better midfielder than Gilmour against all the top nations at the tournament.

The youngster from Ardrossan enjoyed hearing that, but it is important to remember Gilmour is only 17. It feels like people in Scottish football circles have been talking about him for years.

The success-starved football country is desperate for a star to emerge to take it out of the international wilderness.

Gilmour, though, is a grounded, highly-likeable character who looks like he will take any pressure that comes his way in his stride.

"I just enjoy football," he says. "None of that really bothers me. I'm too young for that. I don't need to get myself under pressure about that."

'He has fabulous technical ability'

Gilmour, right, came through the youth ranks with Rangers

Scottish FA performance director Malky Mackay is hopeful that Gilmour can make a real impact.

"He's got a lot of potential," he says. "He's been on our radar since he was 11 years old and Craig Mulholland and the academy coaches at Rangers have given him a fabulous grounding.

"He's now taken another step - which is a very brave step to take, going down to Chelsea - and he's hit the ground running."

But does Mackay think Gilmour has what it takes to make it really big on the world stage?

"He absolutely has got fabulous technical ability," he adds. "It's his mentality. Can they have talent? Fine. Plenty of kids have that. But to play at the highest level, you need temperament.

"And we're certainly seeing that at the moment. It's potential and it's a progression, but it's a progression of potentially a very, very good player."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49665566

Scotland should follow England's example by fast-tracking Chelsea midfielder Billy Gilmour into the senior squad, says Kenny Miller.

Former Scotland striker Miller thinks England showed the way by introducing Gilmour's fellow 18-year-old and club-mate, Callum Hudson-Odoi.

Gilmour made a six-minute Chelsea debut earlier this month.

"I know him really well and I know what the boy's about, I know his abilities," Miller told BBC Scotland.

"Billy Gilmour will be one of the best players in the national team once he gets there, there's no doubt about it."

Miller was at Rangers as Gilmour came through the youth ranks before moving to Stamford Bridge in 2017.

The midfielder has so far been restricted to Scotland Under-21 duty, playing in Thursday's 2-0 win over San Marino before missing Tuesday's fine 2-1 win away to Croatia through injury.

"In days gone by, people said you had to go through the proper steps before becoming a full international," Miller said. "But look at England and what they have done in the last few years.

"Callum Hudson-Odoi started an England game before he had started a Chelsea Premier League match."

Miller recognised that the English winger "is an incredible talent who Bayern Munich are trying to buy for £30-40m" but pointed out that Gilmour had been included in Chelsea's squad for the Champions League group stage.

"I think we could be getting Billy Gilmour in now and there's probably a few others," he said. "I know he's been away with a few camps training and it is a huge step - and especially without first-team football - but we need to get these guys in to progress.

"England can do it. Wales have done it. Can we fast-track him? I also believe you have to have earned that right, but there are exceptions."