Welcome Ross Barkley

dkw
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 hours ago, Zeta said:

Had a few good games, but doesn't offer enough. Loftus-Cheek should take his spot once fully fit.

It's funny, 'cos I think we could easily have one thread covering Barkley, RLC and Kovacic.

All three may have different strengths but it seems they are all battling for one starting 11 place and none of them are doing enough to make it their own. When selected, all are doing okay without making you think, "yeah, he's made that place his own for the next game". None of them have great pace, have many assists or goals to their name. For me, if all were 100% fit, RLC would get the nod as there is little to choose between the other two and I have to say, at this stage of the season I have been disappointed with all 3, but RLC has probably been the pick.

I’d give RLC the starting spot for a few weeks to see if he makes the position his own, if not then I’d just play Kovacic regularly.

At least with Kovacic you know what you will get, Barkley doesn’t make anything happen, RLC is still unknown as he’s not really had a run of games yet.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed RLC takes his chance.

6 hours ago, Nibs said:

It's funny, 'cos I think we could easily have one thread covering Barkley, RLC and Kovacic.

All three may have different strengths but it seems they are all battling for one starting 11 place and none of them are doing enough to make it their own. When selected, all are doing okay without making you think, "yeah, he's made that place his own for the next game". None of them have great pace, have many assists or goals to their name. For me, if all were 100% fit, RLC would get the nod as there is little to choose between the other two and I have to say, at this stage of the season I have been disappointed with all 3, but RLC has probably been the pick.

I'd say that's a fair assessment nibs. But there are people who are saying Kovacic had a good game yesterday. If that was his good game, I don't want to see a bad one. 

Truth is Barkley, Ampadu and Kovacic were all no more than average yesterday. Did some decent things, did some sloppy things and not one of them did anything you will remember tomorrow. 

I'd also agree that RLC is the player that looks the best when fit and is the most likely of the three to make something happen in the final third.

7 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Id say he's last in the pecking order now Loftus Cheek is back. He's had his chances and has not taken them.

And to add some perspective I'd say he has had much less pitch-time than Kovacic but still has more assists, shots and goals scored. 

I agree though RLC should now get his chance before either.

I think he’s much better suited to the demands of the LCM role than Kovacic. 

He’s a lot more proactive in the final third.

Probably should have scored today but at least he’s regularly getting into good positions and he’s not afraid to take a shot. Gives us something a little different. 

2 hours ago, robdog said:

apparently are better when Barkley starts

Very interesting.

A few years back, the club web site used to have stuff like this in the stats section.  I remember supporting an argument that we were a worse defence with Cahill in it, by quoting the higher goals conceded when he plays vs goals conceded for all the other defenders we had at the time (I think Ashley Cole came out tops)

14 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Would take this with a massive pinch of salt. Got to remember that Barkley isn't trusted to start the bigger games and Sarri tends to go with Kovacic for those.

Maybe Sarri needs to start trusting him more? 

Kovacic starting is the new Ramires playing at right wing.

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Maybe Sarri needs to start trusting him more? 

Kovacic starting is the new Ramires playing at right wing.

Hard to trust someone who gives the ball away easily though and in dangerous positions and when gets pressed seems to panic. His work rate is good but he doesn't seem to make as many tackles as Kovacic can.

14 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Hard to trust someone who gives the ball away easily though and in dangerous positions and when gets pressed seems to panic. His work rate is good but he doesn't seem to make as many tackles as Kovacic can.

My worry is Sarri sacrifices attacking threat for ball retention. 

Kovacic is reliable but safe in possession. 

Barkley is a bit more rough around the edges but offers so much more in the final third and against bigger teams I think we need to be willing to take risks with passes in and around the 18 yard box. 

Only way Barkley is going to improve is if he's given game time. He's still relatively inexperience when it comes to playing in big matches so needs coaching.