Worst in 35 years

Osgoodwasgood

Having been a supporter for over 35 years, I have to say Sunday's defeat was possibly the worst ive experienced, and having been brought up in the Fillery, Bumstead years believe me that's going some. It was the manner of the defeat that hurt more than anything, no passion, no desire to win, no effort, a manager setting his side up with damage limitation the main emphasis, and a side full of players sulking because of that set up.

This Man City is a decent side but in the past few years we've played better sides and at least given it a good go, whereas on Sunday I couldn't really get my head around what I was seeing. 1-0 down and players just stood around watching them piss around with the ball. Totally unacceptable.

The fans that travelled should be reimbursed if not by the club then by the players, 29% possession, 3 shots and 2 corners and Conte has the cheek to defend such a performance.

Are we looking at another manager that has "lost the dressing room", if that's the case then we cant keep going on like this, get rid of the players that are instigating this unrest. We here reports that the players are unhappy with his training regime, his Discipline, well im afraid, on in excess of 100k a week ive no sympathy, footballers these days are a joke and command too much power, if we downed tools like they do we would be out of the door in our jobs like a flash.

I don't only hold the players responsible, the way the club is run is an absolute joke. How can a manager do his job to the best of his ability when we have the transfer policy that we currently have at Chelsea? I would be fascinated to know just how many of this current squad are players that Conte has asked for? The squad he was given at the start of the season to defend the title and contend the CL was an absolute joke, 2 strikers, one of which was untried in the premier league and the other he has made no attempt to disguise that he doesn't rate.

As for Conte, he seems like a manager that has had his soul destroyed, since Christmas he looks a shadow of the coach we saw last season. Mistakes in abundance and a relationship with Abramovic which is akin to Pier Morgan and Alan Sugar. He either needs to be backed or sacked, but lets not continue with the absolute farce that we currently have.

For me this season was a write off from a very early stage, but Sunday was something very new for me, a Chelsea team that walked out beaten before a ball was kicked.

When you think back to the mid 90's, we essentially maintained current Tottenham's level - with less of a budget too. (Actually, we won a lot more trophies.:laugh2:)
Currently, we're like 2010-2015 Everton; on a good day, more like 2014 Liverpool.
Our only lower point than this & with Jose (both Everton-tier seasons), must be times I'm not aware of, 1992 and before. 

We actually had better players throughout those 90's teams compared to now; never 5+ players in the XI who could barely pull their weight.

Zola was our Hazard, and he had an amazing foundation to flourish, which put to use all of his qualities while allowing the team to be relatively defensive and compact.
Petrescu, Leboeuf, Desailly, Poyet, Vialli, Wise, Le Saux, Di Matteo, Flo, Terry (Christensen at the time:bluescalf:) - what a bunch of personalities.

Those players were before Roman. Nowadays at our helm, he isn't attracting half the quality we had then, and currently, around 3, maybe 4 players of ours who've cost hundreds of millions, would get into our pre-Roman side. So clearly he isn't the be-all-end-all. He saved us, but even if a friend or a stranger saves you, one day you can cut them off for pouring poison into your life.  
For me, he's who's got to go.

When big clubs struggle; Roma, Valencia, Monaco, Juventus, others; changing owner or 'president' more often than not helps massively long term; an entirely fresh take for the club. It's blind faith to not consider revolting against Roman at some point. Not with anger, but a heavy push out of the club. He just doesn't know what he's doing.
If one day soon he's somehow gone, we'll still have all our Chelsea faithful; ex-players and staff alike; who'll maintain our pride, image, and community.

We won the prem last season with some incredible performances. We are not goldfish. If you are hope you don't get your keyboard wet.

Conte has done some excellent things for our club during his short time here and there are a lot of things I want to see us keep.

6 minutes ago, evissy said:

We won the prem last season with some incredible performances. We are not goldfish. If you are hope you don't get your keyboard wet.

Conte has done some excellent things for our club during his short time here and there are a lot of things I want to see us keep.

But so did Leicester, and they're goldfish. I don't think winning the Premier League in this current climate is enough to prevent rational worry following some of our worst performances in Chelsea history. Nowadays it's all too easy to go from top dog, to dog who never bites again. It only took a snap of the fingers to turn Liverpool into a joke - a snap to turn Arsenal into a joke - a snap to turn United into a joke, albeit just for a couple seasons - and if we're not careful, we're more likely to go down that Arsenal path than this blip of a path United have just been on.

1 hour ago, fiel said:

When you think back to the mid 90's, we essentially maintained current Tottenham's level - with less of a budget too. (Actually, we won a lot more trophies.:laugh2:)
Currently, we're like 2010-2015 Everton; on a good day, more like 2014 Liverpool.
Our only lower point than this & with Jose (both Everton-tier seasons), must be times I'm not aware of, 1992 and before. 

We actually had better players throughout those 90's teams compared to now; never 5+ players in the XI who could barely pull their weight.

Zola was our Hazard, and he had an amazing foundation to flourish, which put to use all of his qualities while allowing the team to be relatively defensive and compact.
Petrescu, Leboeuf, Desailly, Poyet, Vialli, Wise, Le Saux, Di Matteo, Flo, Terry (Christensen at the time:bluescalf:) - what a bunch of personalities.

Those players were before Roman. Nowadays at our helm, he isn't attracting half the quality we had then, and currently, around 3, maybe 4 players of ours who've cost hundreds of millions, would get into our pre-Roman side. So clearly he isn't the be-all-end-all. He saved us, but even if a friend or a stranger saves you, one day you can cut them off for pouring poison into your life.  
For me, he's who's got to go.

When big clubs struggle; Roma, Valencia, Monaco, Juventus, others; changing owner or 'president' more often than not helps massively long term; an entirely fresh take for the club. It's blind faith to not consider revolting against Roman at some point. Not with anger, but a heavy push out of the club. He just doesn't know what he's doing.
If one day soon he's somehow gone, we'll still have all our Chelsea faithful; ex-players and staff alike; who'll maintain our pride, image, and community.

Whilst not meaning to sound ungrateful for what Abramovic has done for the club, I completely agree. I have no doubt the reason we miss out on a lot of top signings is because of the way he runs the club, we will soon be facing the scenario where we struggle to attract the top coaches due to the way past coaches are treated and undermined in their duties. Ambramovic needs to realise what his actual responsibilities are, and that's to keep the club competitive and solvent, and leave the playing side to those that know what they are doing. If he doesn't like that then move on and let someone take over who can do it, and take his Russian entourage with him.

1 hour ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

Whilst not meaning to sound ungrateful for what Abramovic has done for the club, I completely agree. I have no doubt the reason we miss out on a lot of top signings is because of the way he runs the club,

With all due respects, that's tosh. Players are driven by money and trophies, in that order. We have been regularly supplying both over the last 15 years. 

We have struggled to get the top players, but that's because of the competition, the other clubs with more £ and marquee managers.

spoke to a mate earlier this morning who I go to games with and I said this season is the first season in years i have not got excited for match days, and not been to bothered if we lose which is terrible, the last two games against United and City I had forgotten about us losing within 5/10 mins of the game finishing. The only two games I have enjoyed attending this season were utd at home and Stoke away. Palace away and 2nd half v Bournemouth in league cup and Leicester home first half were some of the worst Chelsea performances in about 34 years going to the bridge. I even gave my Barca home tickets to a mate as couldnt be arsed, and will do the same possibly with y*ds, my palace tickets have already gone to a mate for Saturday, I'd rather spend my £100 on a saturday night out. Its not just me its my two sons in their 20's and other mates who do games with us. To cap it all I bumped into a chap I use to work with over 15 years ago about an hour or so ago, we spoke for 5 mins and like me he's Chelsea he just went on with Chelsea deserve all they get at present with how they run things.

My take on it all, is I can see the club have to be prudent with the ground redevelopment coming up, lets be honest we all wanted to stay at the bridge, so we are now, but at a much greater cost which  as a club they have to make financial sacrifices. So I can live with that but I am sick to death of a manager who moans like f**k, plays sh*t football, and a team full of spinless, gutless characters who really don't give a sh*te, there are exceptions but the mental character of this lot is pathetic.

Now we all know we will get stuffed by Barca and lose at Leicester its so obvious. I will be back at the bridge this season and all being well at Leicester, and Southampton away, but come the summer new manager clean broom. It will probably end in tears again in a couple of years, as thats the Chelsea way, but a successful way it is, all I ask is I want to enjoy my days out watching Chelsea again, I can take losing, I can take poor football, I was bought up on Chelsea doing that but this season for me is a season when the manager and team have become so disconnected with us, well me any way.

Any way up the blues. Antonio last season was terrific winning the title and taking piss out of pep and the bitter one, but you've stunk the club out this season, sorry

It seems more common now that every year or two people say "that performance was the worst i've ever seen?"

all seems a bit blown over the top!

is it as bad as when Jose had us down in 16th?

10 minutes ago, Zola said:

is it as bad as when Jose had us down in 16th?

The 'situation' surrounding the club; such as bad transfer policies, odd handling of players, contract mishandlings, etc, was very bad during Jose's time, and is very bad right now in my opinion.
The saving grace we have compared to then, is that the players aren't in full revolt and refusing to carry out tactics; but the structure of the club isn't any better, and it's impossible to ignore foreboding. To be a few years past Jose's debacle, and still be a B-rate team both in personnel and in policies, is frightening. It's totally compounded when you watch your team go out on the field accepting a loss, something never seen before at this club by any of us, i believe. And, once again we're fighting for a Champions League placeChelsea struggling for top 4 once or twice can be brushed off as really bad flukes. But again? A third time? This has to be the worst time simply because it's now proof of who we are - it isn't just a suggestion of who we could become.

Nothing positive seems to be changing at all. At least with Jose, we didn't expect a revolution. With Conte, we did - and it's failed. So I think this is worse.

Conte was supposed to be our way out of our inconsistencies, up and into the top echelon of football again; the guy to lay all of our future foundation; the one the board would finally stick with; and yet for the hundredth time, we've been fooled. :JC_doubleup:

So what?

• We don't have a right to be in the champions league every season, although it would be nice
  • we need capital investment money for the stadium, so top drawer players just wont be coming
  • football isn't all sunshine and rainbows, it goes in cycles

• We don't have a right to good health either; should we not fight for it? It makes life a lot more enjoyable.
  • Money doesn't equal top players - proper scouting does. A lot of money was spent on Bakayoko, Barkley, Drinkwater - money for the stadium isn't the problem. We could've afforded Neymar if we wanted.
  • Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona, City; Benfica, Porto, Celtic, Shakhtar, Galatasaray, Juventus (bar ban from league). None of them go through cycles of imploding & missing out on European football. Top boardrooms, working with top owners, top managers, and top players, don't go though the cycles we've been going through. If you're one of the top few richest teams in the league, as sad as it is for the others, you must monopolise the league if you take yourself seriously as the top dog. Man City have decided to do it since we couldn't be bothered. Should we feel unmoved by this?

12 minutes ago, Zola said:

So what?

• We don't have a right to be in the champions league every season, although it would be nice
  • we need capital investment money for the stadium, so top drawer players just wont be coming
  • football isn't all sunshine and rainbows, it goes in cycles

- We don't have a right but with the investment put in the squad we certainly should be achieving it. 

- We spent £230m this year on players, are you telling me we couldn't have got some top drawer players with that money? Not a single one of those players that have come in have improved our starting 11 except for Rudiger (13% of the money spent). 

- It does indeed. However, no other top club seems to go from one extreme to the next as much as us. 

12 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

So, not spoilt or burdened with an overwhelming feeling of entitlement at all, then?

Entitlement? Since when is relishing the thrill of competing, the excitement of trophies and winning, and thus wanting to gear my club in such a way to achieve such, entitled? 

Maybe you've an inferiority complex or something, because you just suggested someone suffers from less-worthy traits because they expressed desire for their football team to do well :laugh2: What an entitled arsehole I am, and what a lovely fella you are.

38 minutes ago, fiel said:
  • We don't have a right to good health either; should we not fight for it? It makes life a lot more enjoyable.
  • Money doesn't equal top players - proper scouting does. A lot of money was spent on Bakayoko, Barkley, Drinkwater - money for the stadium isn't the problem. We could've afforded Neymar if we wanted.
  • Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona, City; Benfica, Porto, Celtic, Shakhtar, Galatasaray, Juventus (bar ban from league). None of them go through cycles of imploding & missing out on European football. Top boardrooms, working with top owners, top managers, and top players, don't go though the cycles we've been going through. If you're one of the top few richest teams in the league, as sad as it is for the others, you must monopolise the league if you take yourself seriously as the top dog. Man City have decided to do it since we couldn't be bothered. Should we feel unmoved by this?

I stopped reading when i saw this.

I think losing 7-0 at the City Ground has to be up there. To be honest, the 0-3 loss at home to Bournemouth this season was far more embarrassing/worse than the game Sunday. 

It was written in the stars how Sunday was going to play out. I'm sure everyone's heads dropped when news broke that Kante was out. Icing on the mother f**king cake. sh*t happens. 

I just want us to compete at a high level.  We should expect to win and be disappointed when we don't-that's a sign of an ambitious club.  Seeing the way we moseyed around the park against City did my head in on the replay.  And it isn't the first time this season players and manager alike have put in dreadful, lackluster performances.  It appears everyone in football from the manager to the fans are spoilt.  Players are professionals, they should go out and try to win every single game, show their competitive spirit.  When they don't do that then something is very, very wrong.  

1 hour ago, fiel said:

Entitlement? Since when is relishing the thrill of competing, the excitement of trophies and winning, and thus wanting to gear my club in such a way to achieve such, entitled? 

Maybe you've an inferiority complex or something, because you just suggested someone suffers from less-worthy traits because they expressed desire for their football team to do well :laugh2: What an entitled arsehole I am, and what a lovely fella you are.

Everyone has the wish and hope for the team to do well.  When it's expected, demanded and berated when it doesn't appear, when someone like you seriously mentions not buying Neymar as a failure, then yes, that is a sense of entitlement, and why a lot of older fans don't actually like the want-it-all, know-it-all Sky sports generation.  (Not saying that's you , by the way, I don't know you well enough yet :smile: )

Oh, and bless you, but I don't think ANYONE in here has ever accused me of having an inferiority complex before.  How sweet that is.

I understand people being pissed off at us getting thrashed 1-0 by arguably the best club in the world at the moment but I'm quite sick of these newbies signing up just to have a good old whinge. Maybe now would be a good time to put a temporary hold on new forum signups?

Archived