Worst in 35 years

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

5 hours ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

We hav'nt been good for a while now, I don't want to harp on about the pre Abramovic days but at least we were a proper and respected club then, we're a joke now.

The only joke is really people like you, turn up in here after a massive thrashing, whingeing and moaning on with no gratitude or respect, with a sh*t-for-brains "witty" username and all yer 'istory and your extremely rational and sensible

"Whilst not meaning to sound ungrateful for what Abramovic has done for the club, I completely agree. I have no doubt the reason we miss out on a lot of top signings is because of the way he runs the club, we will soon be facing the scenario where we struggle to attract the top coaches due to the way past coaches are treated and undermined in their duties. Ambramovic needs to realise what his actual responsibilities are, and that's to keep the club competitive and solvent, and leave the playing side to those that know what they are doing. If he doesn't like that then move on and let someone take over who can do it, and take his Russian entourage with him."

I really did laugh my cock off at "Ambramovic needs to realise what his actual responsibilities are".  

Supporters (fans, whatever) "need to realise what their actual responsibilities are" - Support the team when they are playing and accept the fact that we as fans are not entitled to anything above the players doing their best as far as they are able.  I'll accept the Sunday it didn't look like they were, and they deserve some criticism for that, but only that, not "Worst in 35 years", implying some long-standing season-ticket holder with a deep and in-depth knowledge of the club's past, over and above all the wonderful bits of insight you have googled for us.

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

spoke to a mate earlier this morning who I go to games with and I said this season is the first season in years i have not got excited for match days, and not been to bothered if we lose which is terrible, the last two games against United and City I had forgotten about us losing within 5/10 mins of the game finishing. The only two games I have enjoyed attending this season were utd at home and Stoke away. Palace away and 2nd half v Bournemouth in league cup and Leicester home first half were some of the worst Chelsea performances in about 34 years going to the bridge. I even gave my Barca home tickets to a mate as couldnt be arsed, and will do the same possibly with y*ds, my palace tickets have already gone to a mate for Saturday, I'd rather spend my £100 on a saturday night out. Its not just me its my two sons in their 20's and other mates who do games with us. To cap it all I bumped into a chap I use to work with over 15 years ago about an hour or so ago, we spoke for 5 mins and like me he's Chelsea he just went on with Chelsea deserve all they get at present with how they run things.

My take on it all, is I can see the club have to be prudent with the ground redevelopment coming up, lets be honest we all wanted to stay at the bridge, so we are now, but at a much greater cost which  as a club they have to make financial sacrifices. So I can live with that but I am sick to death of a manager who moans like f**k, plays sh*t football, and a team full of spinless, gutless characters who really don't give a sh*te, there are exceptions but the mental character of this lot is pathetic.

Now we all know we will get stuffed by Barca and lose at Leicester its so obvious. I will be back at the bridge this season and all being well at Leicester, and Southampton away, but come the summer new manager clean broom. It will probably end in tears again in a couple of years, as thats the Chelsea way, but a successful way it is, all I ask is I want to enjoy my days out watching Chelsea again, I can take losing, I can take poor football, I was bought up on Chelsea doing that but this season for me is a season when the manager and team have become so disconnected with us, well me any way.

Any way up the blues. Antonio last season was terrific winning the title and taking piss out of pep and the bitter one, but you've stunk the club out this season, sorry

Sure we had a similar exhange on one of the other / numerous threads @chi blue, when I mentioned that feeling is down to our age!!

In all my years of supporting Chelsea, it is all too easy to forget how bad things have been at times. I think many of us have become complacent in recent times since the success came in the Roman era and it is almost as if we expect things to be up to a certain standard. To be fair, when you have players in the squad of the calibre we have on the wages they are, you don't expect performances like Sunday and Palace away and the Watford and Bournemouth matches. I still back Conte but have to admit those performances were so bad that it is hard to accept but I know we have been equally as bad in the past.

I am concerned though that this "Chelsea Way / Successful Way"  - the continuing cycle of sacking managers so often and expecting the new guy to come in and win trophies - think our luck is just about to run out there. Although we still have some very good players, the balance of the squad is not good and I think even Pep would struggle to get much out of this squad if he inherited it tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Zola said:

I stopped reading when i saw this.

Which somewhat sums you up quite quickly unfortunately. Did you think about any of what you did read? Or did it just instantly create cognitive dissonance since you disagree, causing you to throw your toys out the pram...

I think we're going to get along.

Edited by fiel

7 minutes ago, fiel said:

Which somewhat sums you up quite quickly unfortunately. Did you think about any of what you did read? Or did it just instantly create cognitive dissonance since you disagree, causing you to throw your toys out the pram...

I think we're going to get along.

No toys out of the pram, I just try to minimise my intake of nonsense !!

37 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

People assume that if Roman does leave that someone with his equivalent wealth will just take over the club. The fit and proper person test is a bit more stringent these days but I wouldn't have any faith in the F.A. after some of the chancers that have bought football clubs recently.

People assume that we need someone of Roman's equivalent wealth to compete or continue attracting & rewarding top players. But, haven't Bayern / Barcelona / Juventus / Atletico / managed to do just that, compete while attracting the best players, without spending massive fees and spending massive wages? (I'm not suggesting Bayern/Barcelona/Juve aren't very rich - but their riches are not what keep them at the top. They can attract anyone they want, put them on 35k a week, and those players will be enamoured.)

What about the brilliant Dortmund team which kept spanking Bayern, and kept spanking teams in the Champions League? If Gotze hadn't betrayed them, and they'd had our youth system in place (something which will remain beyond Roman's departure), they wouldn't have had to sell their few stars like they did, and may in another universe still be a top 5 team.

There's many workarounds in terms of financially competing with a fraction of the finance. You can buy a 280k house while you only have 20k in your account, then start a road to profit if you know what you're doing. But most people don't, and our board don't. Our owner doesn't.
Most people aren't very strategic, which is why it can't be overemphasised how essential it is to build a healthy boardroom who communicate with a healthy leader. In doing just that - creating great background staff - you ensure success, for you're paying attention to an edge most people neglect.
Whenever a 'small' team wins the league, there is only 1 thing in common - the bond shared between staff, players, management. That transcends the £50m more talented players at other clubs. How you pass or shoot the ball doesn't win you titles; it's how you communicate with your teammates; which you won't do well if you can't communicate with your club.

Pt 2: :laugh2:

You don't need to be in the top 5 wealthiest teams in Europe to be in the top 5 best teams in Europe. Atletico, Dortmund, Liverpool, and more, are all fine examples.

To sum up a bit more. Wolfsburg - one of the wealthiest teams of the past 15 years - where in the hell are they? I say the same for Leverkusen. 

Where are essentially-broke-as-chips Atletico, though?
Which stage did no-money-Napoli reach in the Champions League, 2012, and with what style of football? Where are they today, and what style of football?

Who's the dominant force in La Liga? The team who spends more money on transfers, wages & misc - or the team who spends less?

We don't need Roman's money. Roman needs Chelsea. We're his boss; we keep his project here in the green; and we can pull his project in a moment if we want to - if only we knew it - & I can't wait for fans to know. 

Most essentially - we need strategy, vision, trust, communication, patience, quality, and proof that people are capable of their jobs. Most of which we lack. Most of which embodies Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, Man City.

If you gathered the 100 smartest minds in history and got them up to date with modern football, there's no doubt that the majority would agree, that if inconsistencies and problems have been going on for 10+ years, it's not down to the people who're only around for 2 years at a time. The responsibility falls on the head of the director of the project. And that directors head should roll if they again, and again, and again, fail to put together a team of personnel who can lead his really crummy vision.

Roman isn't entitled to us. Chelsea are 100+ years old. Roman's been here for a fraction of that. He isn't our dad; he isn't our brother; he was our caregiver at a really important time, who has unfortunately, lost his wits, lost his charm, lost his career status - so I don't understand how it can be rationalised that it's smart to continue allowing him to oversee our progression. Actually, we've not made any progress in 6 years. 

Edited by fiel

And - for these past 6 years in a row, our club (and Roman's performance) has either stagnated or dropped in quality.

In stats, those 6 years, amount to roughly 33.33% of Roman's time here; and every percent of that 33.33% time in these past 6 years, has been squandered potential - consecutively. Making his form terrible

Edited by fiel

52 minutes ago, fiel said:

People assume that we need someone of Roman's equivalent wealth to compete or continue attracting & rewarding top players. But, haven't Bayern / Barcelona / Juventus / Atletico / managed to do just that, compete while attracting the best players, without spending massive fees and spending massive wages? (I'm not suggesting Bayern/Barcelona/Juve aren't very rich - but their riches are not what keep them at the top. They can attract anyone they want, put them on 35k a week, and those players will be enamoured.)

What about the brilliant Dortmund team which kept spanking Bayern, and kept spanking teams in the Champions League? If Gotze hadn't betrayed them, and they'd had our youth system in place (something which will remain beyond Roman's departure), they wouldn't have had to sell their few stars like they did, and may in another universe still be a top 5 team.

There's many workarounds in terms of financially competing with a fraction of the finance. You can buy a 280k house while you only have 20k in your account, then start a road to profit if you know what you're doing. But most people don't, and our board don't. Our owner doesn't.
Most people aren't very strategic, which is why it can't be overemphasised how essential it is to build a healthy boardroom who communicate with a healthy leader. In doing just that - creating great background staff - you ensure success, for you're paying attention to an edge most people neglect.
Whenever a 'small' team wins the league, there is only 1 thing in common - the bond shared between staff, players, management. That transcends the £50m more talented players at other clubs. How you pass or shoot the ball doesn't win you titles; it's how you communicate with your teammates; which you won't do well if you can't communicate with your club.

Pt 2: :laugh2:

You don't need to be in the top 5 wealthiest teams in Europe to be in the top 5 best teams in Europe. Atletico, Dortmund, Liverpool, and more, are all fine examples.

To sum up a bit more. Wolfsburg - one of the wealthiest teams of the past 15 years - where in the hell are they? I say the same for Leverkusen. 

Where are essentially-broke-as-chips Atletico, though?
Which stage did no-money-Napoli reach in the Champions League, 2012, and with what style of football? Where are they today, and what style of football?

Who's the dominant force in La Liga? The team who spends more money on transfers, wages & misc - or the team who spends less?

We don't need Roman's money. Roman needs Chelsea. We're his boss; we keep his project here in the green; and we can pull his project in a moment if we want to - if only we knew it - & I can't wait for fans to know. 

Most essentially - we need strategy, vision, trust, communication, patience, quality, and proof that people are capable of their jobs. Most of which we lack. Most of which embodies Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, Man City.

If you gathered the 100 smartest minds in history and got them up to date with modern football, there's no doubt that the majority would agree, that if inconsistencies and problems have been going on for 10+ years, it's not down to the people who're only around for 2 years at a time. The responsibility falls on the head of the director of the project. And that directors head should roll if they again, and again, and again, fail to put together a team of personnel who can lead his really crummy vision.

Roman isn't entitled to us. Chelsea are 100+ years old. Roman's been here for a fraction of that. He isn't our dad; he isn't our brother; he was our caregiver at a really important time, who has unfortunately, lost his wits, lost his charm, lost his career status - so I don't understand how it can be rationalised that it's smart to continue allowing him to oversee our progression. Actually, we've not made any progress in 6 years. 

See the source image

Everybody reacts different to adversity. If we were all programmed to act the same way it would be a pretty boring world we'd live in. The good thing about this forum is the different posters we have. Some nice, some not so nice, some serious, some not so serious. Etc, etc. 

Edited by Famous CFC

Can't believe all the negativity towards Roman and what he has done for us with his money.

5 premier league wins, 4 fa cups, 3 league cups, champs league, Europa league 

We cant' win every year and Roman cant just keep dipping in to his own pocket all the time we have to be self sufficient.

5th in the league still in the fa cup, still in the champs league (just) we would have been well happy pre 2004 to be where we are.

Sorry it' not that bad. I was there in 79-83 that was bad.  Lets get behind the lads for the rest of the season and if 5th is where we finish so be it. I will be there next year and so on no matter what.

43 minutes ago, fiel said:

And - for these past 6 years in a row, our club (and Roman's performance) has either stagnated or dropped in quality.

In stats, those 6 years, amount to roughly 33.33% of Roman's time here; and every percent of that 33.33% time in these past 6 years, has been squandered potential - consecutively. Making his form terrible

In the past 6 years Chelsea have won:

The league twice

The FA cup

The champions league

The European cup

The league cup

That's better than every other English team in that time period. 

6 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Why is it when we lose we get so many new members joining? It baffles me. 

Because they’re in so much emotional pain, they need fellow supporters shoulders to cry on....

....or maybe they’re just irritating trolls? *shrug* 

Edited by Blue Exile

3 minutes ago, Blue Exile said:

Because they’re in so much emotional pain, they need fellow supporters shoulders to cry on....

....or maybe they’re just irritating trolls? *shrug* 

Its weird because usually you would expect newbies to jump on the bandwagon when things are going swimmingly, but on this forum they only seem to arrive whenever we lose games. 

5 hours ago, bluedave said:

I understand people being pissed off at us getting thrashed 1-0 by arguably the best club in the world at the moment but I'm quite sick of these newbies signing up just to have a good old whinge. Maybe now would be a good time to put a temporary hold on new forum signups?

I believe in your laws, there is something called "Freedom of speech", which in this case means "Freedom to post", it does not matter when someone came to the party or how lowly they are. Everyone has a right to post his/her mind, so long as it does not violate any civil or internet laws.

In my local language we do say "whenever a wo/man wakes up is his/her morning". Allow people vent off their anger, most of it ends here on the replies of these topics.

Peace!

1 hour ago, luckywerthers said:

i think most are not chelsea supporters

Believe me luckywerthers I'm a true Chelsea supporter,I was posting on this forum a few years back under the name Blueman,it was just that I got pi**ed of with fellow members or should i say one member throwing insults because he didn't agree with what I wrote,so I just still followed the forum but never posted again until now.

I can understand frustrations, but to say the worst in 35 years is certainly going to raise a few concerns about the validity of the OP's initial intent.

I've been following Chelsea since the early 90's and for sure it has been a roller-coaster. Since 2003 obviously our expectations have gone through the roof and the calibre of the player has increased.  Signing Gullit, or Vialli back in the day, hell even Weah, were absolute dreams.  These days, the standard of the league is such that signing players like that any more would be seen as signing once great players in the twilight of their career, that is, "not Chelsea quality."  How fortunate we are.

But, i also don't think it does anyone any good to sit and lament for the past.  We are where we are now, and we have to look forward.  But looking at where we are right now, and looking forward it all seems so uncertain; therefore, i can understand why people are frustrated.

The stadium excuse does have a bit of a whiff of the Arsenal about it.  I get that we have to look at our investments, but I still stand by what I said about the past year's transfer windows: we had the money, but we spent poorly.  I truly believe we could have signed a few star players, and embedded youth, and at least be where we are today if not better.

Sadly, i think it's the last season for Conte.  But I also don't look at his pending dismissal as that big of a heartbreak.  I think this is the norm we have to live with, and it's not just us that follow this practice of sacking managers, it just seems that we go through it under more of a spotlight other than maybe Real.  And Real have certainly proven it's successful for them (outside of their state funded bankroll).

I still stand by the fact that we could attract big names if we throw players the money needed.  But I also stand by the idea that we have some young lads more than capable of filling the roles of a Barkley or a Drinkwater.  Sadly, I think it's going to take us throwing even more cash to get back into contending/top 4 which is counterproductive and goes against the protocols that we put in place this past cople of transfer windows of "spending wisely," as we've certainly not done that.

New manager, an influx of cash from selling Courtois, Hazard, Pedro, etc and start with a clean slate and new expectations next season; hopefully with a new direction from a new board...

14 hours ago, Nibs said:

Sure we had a similar exhange on one of the other / numerous threads @chi blue, when I mentioned that feeling is down to our age!!

In all my years of supporting Chelsea, it is all too easy to forget how bad things have been at times. I think many of us have become complacent in recent times since the success came in the Roman era and it is almost as if we expect things to be up to a certain standard. To be fair, when you have players in the squad of the calibre we have on the wages they are, you don't expect performances like Sunday and Palace away and the Watford and Bournemouth matches. I still back Conte but have to admit those performances were so bad that it is hard to accept but I know we have been equally as bad in the past.

I am concerned though that this "Chelsea Way / Successful Way"  - the continuing cycle of sacking managers so often and expecting the new guy to come in and win trophies - think our luck is just about to run out there. Although we still have some very good players, the balance of the squad is not good and I think even Pep would struggle to get much out of this squad if he inherited it tomorrow.

I think Harry potter would struggle to get anything out of this squad, you maybe right about age Nibs, it's like many of us, we go to games for a good day out and a bit of escapism of everyday life and to support our club, but when you see a manager and players act like kids much of the time, it starts to grate. I have no problems being sh*te, I live in a Pompey heartland and they thoroughly enjoy it at moment being in lower leagues, like you this season it's been tough to take, maybe the reason for me is the last of the Chelsea old guard have gone, JT, lamps, drogs etc who we know still love the club, not sure how many of this lot we're call proper Chelsea when they leave. Go back over the years and we've always players who have connected with us fans, but this lot are different. Any way just got my Leicester tickets, so I'll be there. "Over Land and Sea"

19 hours ago, coco said:

With all due respects, that's tosh. Players are driven by money and trophies, in that order. We have been regularly supplying both over the last 15 years. 

We have struggled to get the top players, but that's because of the competition, the other clubs with more £ and marquee managers.

Like it or not Coco, we are a despised club by many because of Abramovic and the success his money has brought, TV and Sky hate us, this all reverberates around the inner circles of football. I agree with you that players are motivated by money, and some would play for the Devil's X1 if it meant a decent wage, but I have no doubts a high percentage of top players would go to the other clubs in the top six if they had a choice.Not that I or you should be particularly bothered#Carefree

Edited by Osgoodwasgood

15 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

The only joke is really people like you, turn up in here after a massive thrashing, whingeing and moaning on with no gratitude or respect, with a sh*t-for-brains "witty" username and all yer 'istory and your extremely rational and sensible

"Whilst not meaning to sound ungrateful for what Abramovic has done for the club, I completely agree. I have no doubt the reason we miss out on a lot of top signings is because of the way he runs the club, we will soon be facing the scenario where we struggle to attract the top coaches due to the way past coaches are treated and undermined in their duties. Ambramovic needs to realise what his actual responsibilities are, and that's to keep the club competitive and solvent, and leave the playing side to those that know what they are doing. If he doesn't like that then move on and let someone take over who can do it, and take his Russian entourage with him."

I really did laugh my cock off at "Ambramovic needs to realise what his actual responsibilities are".  

Supporters (fans, whatever) "need to realise what their actual responsibilities are" - Support the team when they are playing and accept the fact that we as fans are not entitled to anything above the players doing their best as far as they are able.  I'll accept the Sunday it didn't look like they were, and they deserve some criticism for that, but only that, not "Worst in 35 years", implying some long-standing season-ticket holder with a deep and in-depth knowledge of the club's past, over and above all the wonderful bits of insight you have googled for us.

Fair enough Yorkleyblue, but I don't really see how you can make such an opinion of me or how much ive watched the club in the past 35 years seeing as we've never met. Disagree with what I have said by all means, but allow me my opinion even if you don't agree. I wasn't aware it was your forum.