We've got a new Kepa

13 hours ago, loz said:

I think he is probably but not definitely done at Chelsea. What might keep him is

1. We accept we need to buy a fair number of players this summer so we might not prioritise a keeper (a mistake in my view)

2. How realistic the board's expections are for next season.

If pushing for the title is an expectation (which would be ridiculous) then he has to go. If it is to get fourth they might be inclined to keep him. Personally I don't think he is a top four team keeper. He is no better than Willy and over the past seasons can anyone ever imagine being content with Willy as our first choice keeper?

We f**ked up on this one, to an extent because Courtois forced us to act quickly although in fairness he was a highly regarded prospect at the time. Just turns out we bought a keeper who maybe looked better due to the defence in front of him. Under pressure he is a car crash of a keeper. There are too many weaknesses in his game for me to have any confidence he will ever develop into a quality keeper.

Because of the price tag he's likely going to get one more chance somewhere along the line. I think he will be brought back in for Liverpool (which will give us some indication on just how much of a kick up the arse he's had or not had) and will probably stay next season but with a very good but inexpensive keeper that will take his place immediately if there's any more bullsh*t.

That or we will do what Pep did to Claudio Bravo and sign a new number 1 and make him a (very expensive) back up, but either way I will be amazed if he leaves this summer, that would require him to take a major paycut and for someone to pay what we ask, one could happen at a push but both? I'll be amazed.

For me, there is no comparison in terms of talent and ability, Kepa pisses all over Willy. For me, with Willy in goal, we have zero chance of winning anything or finishing top four.

Kepa's had a poor season and deserved to be dropped. He's not being made a scapegoat as @Zeta claims. He just got dropped, same as every other player (except one or two who Frank deems untouchable). But, as @Zeta rightly observes, we're still conceding just as many goals, and that's partly because Willy is not an able deputy.

I hope Kepa plays tomorrow night and plays well, keeps his spot and helps us for the remainder of the season, but it depends on him, he has to prove tomorrow night that he's worth a spot, he has to come out fighting and show us what he's all about, he has to prove his character. He could still have a lot to offer us this season.

He was good last season, made a ton of fine saves, for a first season in English football, with the spotlight on him because of the fee he was very good, although there was clearly an issue with crosses and that issue isn't going to go away in a hurry, partly because he's so small.

We take stock in the summer, until then I hope he gets the nod, but that all depends on how he does tomorrow, if he's picked.

Surely he has to do better from now to on. Based on what we’ve seen this season I’d trust Willy more to make the saves, he was excellent against Bayern in first half.

I don’t think Willy deserves to be dropped but I suppose Kepa can be better, I just don’t trust him at the moment. Hopefully he proves me wrong soon.

The only thing that's changed from last season is the goalkeeping coach, Hilario was promoted to head GK coach for the first time. I listened to Peter Crouch's podcast on goalkeepers and he says the goalkeeping team are isolated in their little bubble and often the manager doesn't step in until something goes wrong and has to make a decision despite not really having full understanding of the situation.

If he isn't trusted and we can't find a buyer without making a massive loss, we should loan him to another team to see if he can iron out his mistakes in another environment and increase his value.

On 02/03/2020 at 07:32, Argo said:

Because of the price tag he's likely going to get one more chance somewhere along the line. I think he will be brought back in for Liverpool (which will give us some indication on just how much of a kick up the arse he's had or not had) and will probably stay next season but with a very good but inexpensive keeper that will take his place immediately if there's any more bullsh*t.

That or we will do what Pep did to Claudio Bravo and sign a new number 1 and make him a (very expensive) back up, but either way I will be amazed if he leaves this summer, that would require him to take a major paycut and for someone to pay what we ask, one could happen at a push but both? I'll be amazed.

He's not going anywhere unless Frank is convinced he's not the GK he wants, we can find a suitable available replacement, and if we can find a club willing to give us some small percentage of what we paid for him.  

We're not City......we can't afford to just dump a player like that after we realize he's not what we want.  I know we were forced into finding a TBO replacement quickly, but this certainly makes the argument that our scouting needs improvement so that we are ready to move when needed

On 01/03/2020 at 15:37, Zeta said:

Kepa hasn't been very good this season, but he's been made a massive scapegoat. He hasn't played for a while and our defence is still sh*t and we're still conceding lots of goals. He should be brought back in next game.

I disagree. He’s been shocking and deserves everything he gets. He only made a few errors, but some of the goals we’ve conceded, Jesus. Weak wrists, bad positioning, too short, and too sh*t scared to claim the ball from a cross.

Do you think the score line would be the same against Bayern last week if Kepa was playing? I reckon Bayern would have been 3 up by half time if Kepa had to face the shots Willy saved in first half.

I’m willing to give him another chance but I think he’ll be crap.

31 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I disagree. He’s been shocking and deserves everything he gets. He only made a few errors, but some of the goals we’ve conceded, Jesus. Weak wrists, bad positioning, too short, and too sh*t scared to claim the ball from a cross.

Do you think the score line would be the same against Bayern last week if Kepa was playing? I reckon Bayern would have been 3 up by half time if Kepa had to face the shots Willy saved in first half.

I’m willing to give him another chance but I think he’ll be crap.

I agree with this.  

I think he likes the diving Hollywood highlight save.  He's not particularly good coming for crosses, or commanding his box.  He's not physically imposing, and has shown that he is error prone with the ball at his feet, as well as his hands.  And it hasn't appeared that he has been working on these deficiencies in training as he hasn't improved them since he's been here.  In fact, you could argue he's gotten worse.

I guess when you defend well your keeper isn't the problem.
I'm a big critic of Kepa but I actually don't think that gives him enough credit for tonight. We actually defended like schoolboys for the first half an hour or so and he still looked good. We got a lot better at the back after that.

He was excellent from start to finish tonight. Credit where it is due.
26 minutes ago, Brutos said:

I guess when you defend well your keeper isn't the problem.

This.The guy saved everything what he could just as before he was dropped.Our problem is that we give our oponnents way too many clear cut chances and good positions in and around our box.When you do that no keeper is going to save you.Kepa was good tonight.Nothing spectacular.We defended really well and other than that triple save he wasn't at all troubled.He was a bit lucky with that triple save considering Liverpool players shot directly at him for 3 times,but I guess you sometimes have to be in a right place at the right time.

Edited by mm24
1 minute ago, mm24 said:

It actually is. Yoy expected the guy to save things that prime Oliver Kahn wouldn't save. 

What a load of bollocks. He was crap, end of.

Tonight, he was very good and tried to command the box! I’m happy with him as long as he doesn’t revert back to old form.

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

What a load of bollocks. He was crap, end of.

Tonight, he was very good and tried to command the box! I’m happy with him as long as he doesn’t revert back to old form.

Ah ok,so you're happy with him until he concedes a goal. Then he's going to become sh*te again lol

3 minutes ago, Scott said:

This was one of Kepa's best games since early in the season, you have to admit his form had dipped (no pun intended) right before he was dropped. Hope he carries on from here.

He did dip a bit, but so did the whole team.