Barry Bridges

Two Transfer Window Ban?

WTF is WalterwhiteCFC when you need the bloke ??

btw turned out I was right, City got a paltry fine and FIFA f'd over our club (tried but failed thanks to RA & SFL), I could start an antisemitism conspiracy theory, but I'll leave that sort of thing to the Daily Fail for now.

Said it for years, City are the most corrupt club on earth, they get away with everything. They've been having "investigations" since 2010, yet nothing has happened, they've paid a few fines and that's that. 

There's no consistency, that Etihad deal was all sorts of dirty and FIFA couldn't give a w**k about it. 

In theory this is good news. But and this a huge but. We have made more progress with our squad this season without the usual B Grade buys than we have in the last 4 seasons when we could buy. Our approach now must be to buy only quality and only those who fill holes our youngsters haven't been able to fill.

The most crucial bit is that if we can't have who we want don't buy anyone. For years we've spent time going after Koulibalys and Sandros and ending up with Zappacostas in a last minute panic. That approach needs to be confined to the past. This season should show us that we have enough in our own pipeline to not need other teams riffraff.

Edited by Spiller86

27 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

In theory this is good news. But and this a huge but. We have made more progress with our squad this season without the usual B Grade buys than we have in the last 4 seasons when we could buy. Our approach now must be to buy only quality and only those who fill holes our youngsters haven't been able to fill.

The most crucial bit is that if we can't have who we want don't buy anyone. For years we've spent time going after Koulibalys and Sandros and ending up with Zappacostas in a last minute panic. That approach needs to be confined to the past. This season should show us that we have enough in our own pipeline to not need other teams riffraff.

Four years? You mean once.

5 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Not sure what you mean?

Our recruitment since we have started changing our football style has been excellent. Kova, Jorginho and Pulisic have been huge hit, few question marks over Kepa but he's not exactly flop of the decade and Higuain served a purpose.

In 2016 we signed Kante, Alonso and Luiz all went onto to be key players in us winning the league and while we should have signed more players in 2015 the one we did manage to get over the line has been a very good player for us.

The only really really bad window in terms of recruitment in the last four years has been 2017/18 but your post makes it sound like we've systematically been signing poor players, which couldn't be further from the truth.

1 minute ago, Argo said:

Our recruitment since we have started changing our football style has been excellent. Kova, Jorginho and Pulisic have been huge hit, few question marks over Kepa but he's not exactly flop of the decade and Higuain served a purpose.

In 2016 we signed Kante, Alonso and Luiz all went onto to be key players in us winning the league and while we should have signed more players in 2015 the one we did manage to get over the line has been a very good player for us.

The only really really bad window in terms of recruitment in the last four years has been 2017/18 but your post makes it sound like we've systematically been signing poor players, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I see your point about ups and downs and no doubt there have been good signings in that time notably Kante, Rudiger, and Pedro. Also a number I'm still on the fence on including Jorginho and Kepa.  

I'd say we have had two disasters in the last five years and two middling.

15/16 was a disaster. Baba, Falcao, Pato, Papy, Kenedy etc. Only Pedro really proved any use from that group.

16/17 bought us Kante and Alonso, but also 35m on Michy who is still no better than when he joined and has never been dependable as more than a sub. Luiz was a disaster in the dressing room. Throwing a tanty when we didn't play how he wanted. He was rightly the first one Frank got rid of. 

17/18 is of course bar Ruduger and perhaps Emerson a disaster with masses spent on dross like Morata and Bakayoko.

18/19 I'm still on the fence. None of our signings really lit things on fire last year. Jorginho and Kovacic have been better under Frank but we paid 100m for them so they'd want to be alright.

My broader point is that we need to think carefully about what we buy and set our transfer work on a new path.

Recruitment - some teams repeatedly get it right eg Man City & Leicester 

Others not so much - Man U, Gooners & CFC to a certain extent 

Then there’s the Spuds who just avoid it as much as possible. 

Edited by General

8 hours ago, Argo said:

Valid point. Additionally, we have signed poor players consistently...throughout our history but not every player. So has every club, it only resonates with us because its our club. We've had Fleck's, Sutton's Weahs, etc but so has everyone else. Let's be honest even everyone's second club the fking dippers have had enough duds in their time.

I'd also say that not all of these duds came in as dud's. They made some sort of sense at the time. Its the players that haven't grown into their potentiial. Bakayoko came here with the potential to develop into a marauding Patrick Vieira type midfielder gallopping into the heart of the opposition, setting up our attacks. Its the player, in his time here, that revealed he is actually sh!t in this league.

I don't think it gets taken into account how fast and tough our league is. Many of these so called flops look great on the continent but often struggle here. Would Messi have won 6 ballon d'ors with the likes of Eric Dier smashing him up in the air week in week out. Perhaps but probably not.

Recruitment - some teams repeatedly get it right eg Man City & Leicester 
Others not so much - Man U, Gooners & CFC to a certain extent 
Then there’s the Spuds who just avoid it as much as possible. 
City? Really? Hit and miss. The just spend so much in one player they usually are no brainers. Cancelo, Mendy, Angelinho, Jesus. For the money someone could say all these are flops.

Leicester operates with many of the same players they did when the won the league. Managers went in and out which means their recruitment failed as well.

We haven't failed too bad in that department.

11 hours ago, Munkworth said:

FA takes FIFA to court over Chelsea transfer ban

Surprised nobody has picked up on this. Don’t know what it means in regards to us, if anything. 

Yeah I saw that and was looking for this thread. It looks like its the FA and Chelsea are joining to fight this:-

The FA said it would appeal the punishment and would "continue to work with FIFA and Chelsea in a constructive manager to address the issues which were raised by this case."