coco

Chelsea vs Liverpool (Super Cup) Wed 14th Aug 20:00 GMT

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Great little interchanges in midfield. Really impressed with how Frank/Jody wants us to play and I think everyone associated with the club can hold their heads high. Feeling quite positive despite the defeat - I just hope we keep the faith & continue to play the same way. It’s great to watch. 

Penalty aside, I genuinely think Tammy is the weakest of our youngsters. I’m really not convinced he’s going to be strong enough at this level. I worry where our goals are going to come from. 

Mason looks an amazing prospect whilst Tomori seems very assured (and rapid!). Think we have two diamonds on our hands there. 

It does look like he will never make #1 standard sadly but he has the qualities that can be utilized in a squad capacity.

Shame for Tammy but at least he had guts to take it. A striker should be taking pens. He worked hard to win the penalty though. Unfortunately I don’t think he quite has at the top level - seems to need too many chances to score. 

Tamori looked surprisingly very assured - was impressed with him. 

Zouma looked ALOT better. You can see he looks nervous with the ball though.

Kante, Jorginho and Pedro were incredible. 

Proud of the lads, they gave it all and it was luck of penalty shootout. Puts any doubts of Lampard to bed. 

2 minutes ago, DP2 said:

Think that game came at a really good time to put a few things right quickly, probably could have done without.

Abraham is this weeks Zouma...it will probably be Mount next. At least give them a season.

Thought the whole team played well and don't think I've ever been less disappointed to lose against those 2 (or lose and draw), even if it was 4-0 and a chance of silverware.

Looking forward to Saturday and Leicester.

To be fair Abraham is 21 and Mount 20. Zouma is 25 in a few months - he needs to cut these errors out at this age now. However, he was much better tonight. 

We need a win at the weekend to get us off and running. The last thing we want to become is glorious losers, playing really well and eventually getting beat.

Just now, Elliott said:

Great little interchanges in midfield. Really impressed with how Frank/Jody wants us to play and I think everyone associated with the club can hold their heads high. Feeling quite positive despite the defeat - I just hope we keep the faith & continue to play the same way. It’s great to watch. 

Penalty aside, I genuinely think Tammy is the weakest of our youngsters. I’m really not convinced he’s going to be strong enough at this level. I worry where our goals are going to come from. 

Mason looks an amazing prospect whilst Tomori seems very assured (and rapid!). Think we have two diamonds on our hands there. 

I agree with all this. I know it doesn't necessarily fit the formation but i'd quite like to see Bats play up with, and off of, Giroud, for a while.

Lots of positives from tonight. I do think that Zouma redeemed himself a bit tonight but from the cameo put in by Tomori i actually think the lad is a baller. Once the season gets into its stride i can easily see Rudi and Tomori as our main CB's.

Slight downer for me is that Pulisic is already showing signs of the reincarnation of Oscar. I can see so many similarities. Our youngsters have undoubted boundless talent, they just need to learn quick that running wit the ball in this league will be hard to do. They must lift their heads and know when to pass and when to run off the ball...and stay onside!! Those fkng goals were so marginal.

3 minutes ago, DP2 said:

Think that game came at a really good time to put a few things right quickly, probably could have done without ET.

Abraham is this weeks Zouma...it will probably be Mount next. At least give them a season.

Thought the whole team played well and don't think I've ever been less disappointed to lose against those 2 (or lose and draw), even if it was 4-0 and a chance of silverware.

Looking forward to Saturday and Leicester.

sunday it is

23 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Christensen looks like he’s limping, that’s all we f**king need.

I was actually impressed when Tomori came on, I thought with a name like that he would be Japanese and a lightweight yet he looked quite solid to me.

3 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I was actually impressed when Tomori came on, I thought with a name like that he would be Japanese and a lightweight yet he looked quite solid to me.

I’m more concerned that if he’s injured we have two fit CB’s in Tomori & Zouma. Then we’re really in trouble if either gets a knock going forward. I agree he looked very assured as well, very fast as well which is such an asset at CB.

1 minute ago, WhiteWall said:

I thought the Kante twins were excellent tonight. N'golo was outstanding all night and his twin brother was brilliant as well.

There were two of them out there right?

Kante was on another level to every player out there tonight. Incredible performance from somebody that has just come back from an injury he has been struggling with since the end of last season and from a player that has had almost no pre-season preparation.

2 minutes ago, mojo said:

sunday it is

👍Yes Sunday I should have said. More time to rest after tonight. Think we have a few games now that we could possibly go on a little run and build some momentum before we play them again.

I must say I am excited at how out midfield is playing and linking up well with the 2 wide men forwards. It's refreshing to see and Mount looks a natural in there too.. There will be some disappointments this season whilst we transition but Frankly the United game was never a 4-0 and we could have easily won today in normal time. I'm pleased with I am seeing so far. 

Kovacic looks a different player from last season too. Really feel confident with him on the ball. 

Tighten the defence and sharpern up in the final 3rd and we will be in for a decent season I'm sure! 

So how many finals have we lost now on penalties in recent years? Or at least where we've played brilliantly just to lose in some jammy way. 

That being said, id say overall there were much more positives than negatives tonight, but it still leaves a sour taste knowing we've lost another final. Our midfield actually looks incredible with Jorg/Kov/Kante. Kinda crazy to think how last season that same MF looked a bit poor, but I think after a whole season of adjusting to english football that Jorg and Kov have really come into their own. Though the signs were already there towards the end of last season. Pulisic looks a great player in all honesty, sure its hard to live upto Hazards levels, but if he carries on performing like this then I have high hopes for him. 

Our striker situation is still awful, Tammy isnt good enough if you ask me. I never really thought he was good enough to be a starter for us as hes always looked championship quality. Hes nowhere near as good as CHO is thats for sure. Giroud can still do a job for us, he chips in with goals, but as a constant goal scoring threat he is not the one. 

Defence tonight wasnt actually too bad. Emerson is out best defender in general id say, hes been great and glad hes finally starting over Alonso on a consistent basis. Azpi is doing an Ivan. The decline has started and I dont think hes going to ever get back to his best. Christensen was good tonight, and Zouma was good too. I still think we need an upgrade at CB but no real complaints from me tonight.

Kepa living upto the pricetag, hes really a good keeper and I prefer him to Courtois no doubt. Seeing comments that they'd rather have Willy for pens but I think Kepa can still definitely do a job. He got really close to stopping a couple and Liverpool got jammy. Plus that double save he did earlier in the game was incredible, and if it was a certain overrated spanish fraud who did that it would be all over the news, but as its Kepa its been kept lowkey which irks me.

Just now, Gol15 said:

Lampard will make winners out of these kids. This is the time the fans need to fully back the whole squad, the whole club. f**k everyone else.

He will indeed! The transfer ban coupled with the new loan rules was 100% a blessing in disguise. We have cleared the club of so much deadwood and Lamps coming in to finally give the youth a chance is great. If he can carry on getting the squad to play like this, then I hope we get to keep him as manager for a long long time

Just now, mojo said:

as much as I give credit to Klopp what has done with dirty red scouser team I can't stand his moronic celebrations with brazilian false teeth

To be fair, when he did the whole Rocky Balboa "Adriannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" I was cracking up with laughter!

50 minutes ago, just said:

Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool sure did

48 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I did, and clearly the players and fans that spent a lot of money to be there did too. I question anybody's support for the club if they don't care much about a cup final. You only get to play in this game if you win one of the major European trophies, it's not a game that comes around often.

CE106467-A2FB-4A11-8D64-A748A7F92048.gif

Gutted with the result. But very pleased with everyone's performances tonight. Showed real personality in my view. Plenty to be positive about as we build these foundations!

Of course the main concern is with Tammy Abraham - poor penalty and felt like he did not make a couple of correct runs when he should have and also missed that one good chance. However on the flip side, I respect how he tuffled with Van Dijk, generally showed great hunger when playing, a little glimpse of great interplay with Mason... and stepped up to take the penalty - which was a moment that like me everyone probably felt would go against us (and probably him by the looks of his penalty) - but he had the guts to step up! 

I think we can't judge Abraham just yet. I just hope this doesn't affect his confidence even more... the biggest risk I see is that he might 'over try' a little and just feel the burden of pressure. Hoping he continues to be confident and give it his all! I am sure we will have a very serviceable player at the very least... and potentially a little gem of a player. I think he has the character to bounce back. 🙂

I thought Chelsea were outstanding tonight. Some spells in the 1st half looked like you were going to take them apart by 3+ goals. Liverpool are doing the business at the minute though such a quick counter attacking side..

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

He's ten cm too short for pens. Tibo saves those by virtue of his longer arms. But Kepa played well.

Except Tbo never saved any pens for us, maybe one. Tbo a longer reach but it's harder for him to get down low. Kepa was very unlucky. He's far better at pens than Tbo.

This feels a lot like the league cup final last season. I don’t care at all about losing on penalties (you might as well decide the match with a game of Rock Paper Scissors) as long as we give a good account of ourselves. And we did that for sure. I just hope that Abraham doesn’t let the penalty miss get to him. He had a good penalty record for Derby last season and it takes a lot of balls to step up for the fifth penalty like he did tonight, especially when you’re surrounded by vastly more experienced internationals. c**ts writing him off now would piss their pants in that position.

Great performance overall against the team all the media raves about. We were better than them first half and although we faded a bit in the second, we showed enough skill and composure to create chances.

I think everyone played well particularly Kante who was outstanding. Emerson was also fantastic and must surely be the first choice at left back. Thought Mount and Pusilic were also excellent and they will get better and better with experience and games like this.