coco

Chelsea vs Liverpool (Super Cup) Wed 14th Aug 20:00 GMT

Very similar performance attacking wise to Sunday, but with Kante to help shore us up defensively. Hope those willing to raise the white flag after just one game are feeling a little mor reassured that this season won't be the complete disaster they anticipate. 

One thing is for sure, the quality of football gong forward is on a different level already compared to last and that's without hazard and a top class striker.

43 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

To be fair Abraham is 21 and Mount 20. Zouma is 25 in a few months - he needs to cut these errors out at this age now. However, he was much better tonight. 

We need a win at the weekend to get us off and running. The last thing we want to become is glorious losers, playing really well and eventually getting beat.

Zouma still wasn't good enough.  He could have  recovered more on the first... but man was Christensen terrible on the first.  Should have held the line a bit higher.  We also really miss Luiz's long ball.  Wonder if by season's end it's not James, Tomori, Rudiger and Emerson.

The scouts need to go look for the next Aguero. If we had a better striker we'd have won this by a mile. Tammy needs to be more composed.

34 minutes ago, bluedave said:

I just hope that Abraham doesn’t let the penalty miss get to him. He had a good penalty record for Derby last season

Yeah he did well, he didn’t miss a penalty for them. In fact he never taken one! 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Yeah he did well, he didn’t miss a penalty for them. In fact he never taken one! 

And for main course :

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tammy-abraham/elfmetertore/spieler/331726

So including tonight, he's taken 17 in his career and scored 13 of them ... and 6/7 last year for Villa .... 

<edit> Oh I see he said Derby, meaning Villa ... ok I'll let you off LOL

Edited by Sexyfootball

Yeah it was gutting to lose the game on penalties, but hey we’ve held our own against Liverpool, easily one of the top 3 teams in the world currently.

I honestly expected us to get destroyed, especially after United game! I agree about the football too, this is only game 2, imagine game 20. We’re going to play some really cool stuff.

2 hours ago, bluedave said:

This feels a lot like the league cup final last season. I don’t care at all about losing on penalties (you might as well decide the match with a game of Rock Paper Scissors) as long as we give a good account of ourselves. And we did that for sure. I just hope that Abraham doesn’t let the penalty miss get to him. He had a good penalty record for Derby last season and it takes a lot of balls to step up for the fifth penalty like he did tonight, especially when you’re surrounded by vastly more experienced internationals. c**ts writing him off now would piss their pants in that position.

Abraham played for Villa not Derby.

good result over the 120 mins, agree that we are seeing the green shoots of a style of play with the potential to outclass the 4.3.3 sarri ball that never really worked last season

thought the team showed up well tonight, always a pisser to lose on pens (2nd time in the last 6 months as well), but the positives from tonight well made up for it. 

Lukaku missed the same pen vs B Munich, he was then gone within days - pushed out by JM. He ended up being the 3rd highest scoring striker in the prem over the next few seasons so I wouldn’t write off Tammy just yet.

3 hours ago, The Brit said:

Very similar performance attacking wise to Sunday, but with Kante to help shore us up defensively. Hope those willing to raise the white flag after just one game are feeling a little mor reassured that this season won't be the complete disaster they anticipate. 

One thing is for sure, the quality of football gong forward is on a different level already compared to last and that's without hazard and a top class striker.

Not sure I agree Brit. I thought our style was remarkably similar. 

Lovely game to watch. We played very well. Very unlucky on the offsides that disallowed our goals. Were very close.

Unlucky to tammy. Thought his hold up and link up play was good. He should have scored a goal in open play. Though he should have got to take his pen again, keeper clearly off his line.

Kepa also should be saving pens 3 and 4. Full hand on both.

I’m happy. The performance was more important than the result and we needed to turn up, so box ticked. Can still get better but heading in the right direction. Just hope the ET at this stage of the season doesn’t bite us on Sunday.

Disappointed to lose to them in any game.

However, I'm pleased the way we played.

Agree with blue exile's comment above:The performance was more important than the result and we needed to turn up.so box ticked. Can still get better but heading in the right direction.'

6 hours ago, Wearyourblue said:

Zouma still wasn't good enough.  He could have  recovered more on the first... but man was Christensen terrible on the first.  Should have held the line a bit higher.  We also really miss Luiz's long ball.  Wonder if by season's end it's not James, Tomori, Rudiger and Emerson.

How on Earth have you managed to attribute blame to Christensen for their first goal? It was Azpilicueta who played him onside, even then, it was just luck that it fell to Fabinho to clip over the outrushing defence. 

Personally thought the defence done well last night other than the 10/15 minute shaky spell after we conceded.

Proud of that performance and excited by our play.Losing on pens is never nice ,especially to them.Not sure about women officials at this level,aren't they better at ironing lol.Kante was superb on his return.....UTC !

Shows that much of the problem against Man U revolved around the depleted nature of the side, plus maybe the defence not having gelled properly. Early nerves could also have played a factor.

A very impressive performance against an objectively stronger side. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Some typical BBC f**kery this morning ... "emphatic" my arse .... high time the licence fee was abolished ...

WTF.jpg.df201b68c4e1cadc10ee4b7c74f2bd9e.jpg

Did you see that yourself on the BBC website or did someone send it to you ? The reason I ask is because I’ve never seen it say that myself and I suspect it’s just a joke from some Liverpool supporter.

Edited by Crem