Timo Werner

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Not a fan of him playing on the left. For me, if Lampard felt Tammy deserve a start more than Timo based on that 6: 0 game, he should be brave enough to bench Timo and play Tammy, and do one better playing CHO on the wing. He had 2 decent games, really needed another game in his natural position. It's almost not surprising he missed the big chance, and ended up being one of the inefficient player on the field as the game went on.

This was always the risk with Werner. He is a big volume shooter. He will miss a few so you've got to be getting him into spaces where he will regularly get shots. Yesterday he didn't get a lot of chances as West Brom played very deep for 60 mins.

He was great off the left with Leipzig last year but you've got to have the right support around him. He and Tammy occupied the same spaces a bit too often. For me if he going to be on the left it has to be Giroud who starts. You have to stretch the opposition and then get him one-on-one or in space. Giroud is the master at making space for others.

This formation with 3 forwards was atrocious. Werner had to play on the right, on the left and in the middle. All of that because of Abraham's performance against... Barnsley. 

I mean if you want Tammy to play that much, fine, drop Werner and play an actual player that fits these positions. 

The selection right now looks forced for every game. Last year was a good in terms of gaining experience, playing academy players the wet dreams for so many here, and honestly, we picked up the top 4 and played on the finals of FA so it was not that bad. And the foundation of this team was formed by Mount and Abraham. So it's understandable that Frank wants them to play. Now we buy two young classy players for 150 millions combined and we have to play them, right? But they play on Frank's favorites positions. 

I have the strange feeling that apart from Chilwell, Silva and eventually Rice, Lampard did not want any of the other transfers.

1 hour ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

Hope he eventually gets moved to the middle. I don’t think he works on the wing comparing his last 2 performances to the ones at the start of the season

As long as Pulisic doesn't pick up another injury, I expect to see him playing through the middle in our next game.

7 hours ago, I Am Gay 4 Diegod said:

Im not sure playing through the middle is actually the answer he says himself he is a Left forward who roams, playing up top will just be effectively playing a false 9

I see Werner as the same type of forward as Firmino. He doesn't have to be central but he can be just as effective playing central then drifting left because we have Pulisic and Havertz to take advantage of the space

On 27/09/2020 at 03:05, Droopy said:

This formation with 3 forwards was atrocious. Werner had to play on the right, on the left and in the middle. All of that because of Abraham's performance against... Barnsley. 

I mean if you want Tammy to play that much, fine, drop Werner and play an actual player that fits these positions. 

The selection right now looks forced for every game. Last year was a good in terms of gaining experience, playing academy players the wet dreams for so many here, and honestly, we picked up the top 4 and played on the finals of FA so it was not that bad. And the foundation of this team was formed by Mount and Abraham. So it's understandable that Frank wants them to play. Now we buy two young classy players for 150 millions combined and we have to play them, right? But they play on Frank's favorites positions. 

I have the strange feeling that apart from Chilwell, Silva and eventually Rice, Lampard did not want any of the other transfers.

Utter nonsense.

On 27/09/2020 at 13:35, Droopy said:

A lot of assumptions there.. the only reason Werner is playing out wide is because of injuries to us and mount not being very effective there.. there is no conspiracy here of Lamps trying to prefer Tammy over Werner fir not wanting to sign him.. infact by Werner’s own admission he was constantly texting and calling him..

6 hours ago, Slojo said:

He's only playing out wide temporarily, I'm sure he knows this. Right now we've got two excellent wide players injured, then we can see him in his best position. 

I think it shows that we need more depth for wingers, Willian refusing contract extension hurt us badly.

I also don’t trust Ziyech and Pulisic to be fit all season, hopefully we’ll manage to sign a back up winger in January.

On 03/10/2020 at 16:34, Deino said:

He'll get there. The amount of work he's putting in is insane. He's everywhere but the goal. I'd like to see him at No. 9 because for all the aerial balls Tammy gets, he screws them up half the time anyway.

Re ; Tammy - Seems like the complete opposite of that old footballing adage "he's got a good touch for a tall lad". IE . "He's not very good in the air for such a tall lad".

Maybe he'll improve.

Werner is a bit of a concern. He has got one goal, which was a really solid finish, but he seems to do a lot of running around to little effect. His pace seems to be his strong asset but the style of play we are adopting doesn't afford him much of an opportunity to use it. 

Reminds me a bit of Speedie but bet he can't jump like him.

46 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I think it shows that we need more depth for wingers, Willian refusing contract extension hurt us badly.

I also don’t trust Ziyech and Pulisic to be fit all season, hopefully we’ll manage to sign a back up winger in January.

Why Ziyech, is he known to be injury prone when at Ajax?

12 minutes ago, MayosNoun! said:

Not mega injury prone but he does tend to miss chunks of a season. He will never be your 40 games per season player. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hakim-ziyech/verletzungen/spieler/217111

Seems he has quite a few little niggly fouls looking at this table but not many major injuries.

1 hour ago, Andy North said:

Re ; Tammy - Seems like the complete opposite of that old footballing adage "he's got a good touch for a tall lad". IE . "He's not very good in the air for such a tall lad".

Maybe he'll improve.

Werner is a bit of a concern. He has got one goal, which was a really solid finish, but he seems to do a lot of running around to little effect. His pace seems to be his strong asset but the style of play we are adopting doesn't afford him much of an opportunity to use it. 

Reminds me a bit of Speedie but bet he can't jump like him.

Because he keeps trying to find space all over the front lines but the penalty box. He doesn't try to occupy the same space Tammy is in because he's a smart player.

That's why we need to see him uptop to properly judge him. He could be our Aguero, who knows

On 05/10/2020 at 13:25, Deino said:

Because he keeps trying to find space all over the front lines but the penalty box. He doesn't try to occupy the same space Tammy is in because he's a smart player.

That's why we need to see him uptop to properly judge him. He could be our Aguero, who knows

He needs to be given the chance but Frank has to make quick decisions at the moment. It is really important at this stage of the season that we get a settled team in place and get some points on the board. Frank can't afford to be experimenting with anybody for too long. I think Tammy's hold and link up play is better than Timo's and Frank needs somebody in the box who will finish. I don't see Timo as that player at the moment. I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong. 

I think Timo will be competing with Pulisic for a place and not Tammy. 

I'm in the camp where Timo needs to play down the middle, I don't think we bought him to play as a wide forward.

If Frank is asking him to play on the left temporarily that is fine, once Pulisic is deemed fit enough we will likely see Timo on the bench or moved centrally. 

On 05/10/2020 at 13:25, Deino said:

That sounds like your trying to blame Abraham. I really hope Werner is smart, but he's not shown us yet, we had a few occasions against Palace where he should of been on the end of balls into the box, but he was all over the place and not where he should of been. One occasion CHO delivered a cross from the right wing just over Abrahams head, but right into the path of where Werner should of been, plenty of space at the back door, but he was AWOL.