Next new Striker

Ballack & Blu

1 hour ago, CFCCAN said:

So's Jesus apparently.......and we're still waiting 😴🤫🤫

I was in my town centre today and there was a man saying that it could be very soon apparently, that all the signs are pointing that way.

On 08/06/2021 at 02:05, Adamrb said:

FFP is dead this year (or so I understand). So if Roman doesn't mind paying the money, there's no reason not to go all in.

FFP is dead full stop. The Manchester City case showed that FFP rules were, in practical terms, unenforceable in any legal setting with UEFA not actually having the power or ability to compel cooperation in any investigation.

In saying that, UEFA are looking at wage and transfer fee restrictions and that can be concern. It is tempting for the club to see  Haaland as a long-term investment similar to Hazard or Courtois, bought and later sold for a transfer profit, but it will backfire spectactularly should UEFA bring in caps to wages or transfer fees.

I think we should have a try for Mbappe instead of Kane, Haaland, Lukaku 🙏. YES he will be expensive, but apparently, he is no longer certain that PSG is the right club for him. He has presumably worked out that they make poor decisions (letting TT go and replacing him with Poch, Thiago Silva??) cant see them winning the ECL as they do not have the winning mentality needed.  Thinking back though, I'm not sure he had the greatest relationship with Tuchel in Paris ????

1 hour ago, coombsie said:

I think we should have a try for Mbappe instead of Kane, Haaland, Lukaku 🙏. YES he will be expensive, but apparently, he is no longer certain that PSG is the right club for him. He has presumably worked out that they make poor decisions (letting TT go and replacing him with Poch, Thiago Silva??) cant see them winning the ECL as they do not have the winning mentality needed.  Thinking back though, I'm not sure he had the greatest relationship with Tuchel in Paris ????

At what price you think that Sheik will let him go? 

500-600mil? They don't want to sell him. Clearly mentionned. 

And if you can triple the wage Barca is offering without hesitating as a statement. 

Pretty sure you don't need the money.  

He is going nowhere, unless the player forces his way out. That he prob will only do for Real. 

Not a chance I would say. 

1 hour ago, coombsie said:

I reckon he's a cut above all the others mentioned too coombsie. If he was forcing an exit we'd be silly not to have a crack in the post FFP world. He's already close to the world's best striker and his best years are ahead of him. That offside goal he scored against Germany was something else. Peak Henry type of finish.

Unlikely to get it done but I think he would move us permanently into Europe's elite for the next decade by himself.

Only way any club has a chance of signing Mbappe is on a free transfer should his contract expire next summer. 

We need a striker now. 

We're going to go all in on Haaland this summer but even if we can't pull off that signing we're going to sign someone, even if it's a stop gap signing (think Eto'o before we were able to sign Costa). 

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Only way any club has a chance of signing Mbappe is on a free transfer should his contract expire next summer. 

We need a striker now. 

We're going to go all in on Haaland this summer but even if we can't pull off that signing we're going to sign someone, even if it's a stop gap signing (think Eto'o before we were able to sign Costa). 

I am a bit more optimistic than you on our strikers. We won a CL without one having a good year. I think Werner's finishing is hopeless but he played a role with his movement and I think we should make the top 4 again and challenge for a trophy without a new top class striker. That then leaves us with a chance to make a player for one next year when Haaland's buyout clause kicks in and Mbappe is off contract.

2 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I am a bit more optimistic than you on our strikers. We won a CL without one having a good year. I think Werner's finishing is hopeless but he played a role with his movement and I think we should make the top 4 again and challenge for a trophy without a new top class striker. That then leaves us with a chance to make a player for one next year when Haaland's buyout clause kicks in and Mbappe is off contract.

Excluding penalties our top goalscorer got 6 league goals last season. 

Frankly, that's embarrassing. 

Yes I think Werner, Havertz will improve but I don't think we can realistically expect Werner to transform into a 20 goal a season player.

We need a reliable source of goals. I think it's safe to assume Haaland is the main target if we can't get him we'll probably make tentative enquires about Kane and Lukaku but even if one of those big names isn't available I refuse to believe we won't sign anyone because right now putting the ball in the onion bag is our biggest weakness so we have to address it. 

If it's a stop gap such as a Danny Ings. Or trying your luck at signing someone like Ciro Immobile. Who knows but I refuse to believe we won't sign someone up front. 

Bild, big paper in Germany now saying Lewandowski our target.

"Bild now says Lewandowski has become Chelsea's No. 1 target this summer as they seek to improve their forward line as 2020's €53m arrival Timo Werner hasn't settled."

Cant see it myself, too old for medium term although maybe two seasons.  

All these rumours and tweet are doing my head in; it’s all an absolute load of horse plop. Not being funny none of us have a clue where we will be transfer wise by the end of the window. It’s incredibly concerning though, if the club have any chance of competing at the very top in a league format again then we need an out and out centre forward of the highest level.

A part of me just sees us landing a 2nd rate striker as we’re unwilling to spend an extra £10-20 million for the better talent. That’s what we’re absolutely renowned for and I can see it happening again. The ludicrous sums of money this club have pissed away on dross when the accumulated fee would have been enough to bag a top tier player and possibly another league title.

If it’s any positive, I think the club leaving Hakimi to PSG is a CLEAR indication they want their resources elsewhere and surely, SURELY, that has to be a world class striker.

23 minutes ago, thebluekid said:

All these rumours and tweet are doing my head in; it’s all an absolute load of horse plop. Not being funny none of us have a clue where we will be transfer wise by the end of the window. It’s incredibly concerning though, if the club have any chance of competing at the very top in a league format again then we need an out and out centre forward of the highest level.

A part of me just sees us landing a 2nd rate striker as we’re unwilling to spend an extra £10-20 million for the better talent. That’s what we’re absolutely renowned for and I can see it happening again. The ludicrous sums of money this club have pissed away on dross when the accumulated fee would have been enough to bag a top tier player and possibly another league title.

If it’s any positive, I think the club leaving Hakimi to PSG is a CLEAR indication they want their resources elsewhere and surely, SURELY, that has to be a world class striker.

Have to agree with you 100% thebluekid.

Reports that Dortmund value Haaland at £150 million and that we are unwilling to pay that much.

Dortmund have proved in the past they are not buckling on their demands so in that case I think Haaland is a lost case as well.

Which could very well leave us in a spot of bother considering Lukaku have said he's staying at Inter as well.

55 minutes ago, thebluekid said:

I don't disagree but in reality how many of these elite forwards are there to choose from.

Haaland, Mbappe, Lewandowski, Kane, Lukaku. After this you are then splitting opinion, due to age, finances, style of play, etc. Even Lewandowski, Kane and Lukaku seem to divide opinion on here, so you're only looking at Haaland and Mbappe that we all universally agree on being top top quality.

3 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

I don't disagree but in reality how many of these elite forwards are there to choose from.

Haaland, Mbappe, Lewandowski, Kane, Lukaku. After this you are then splitting opinion, due to age, finances, style of play, etc. Even Lewandowski, Kane and Lukaku seem to divide opinion on here, so you're only looking at Haaland and Mbappe that we all universally agree on being top top quality.

Those would be the ones yes. We’re Champions of Europe and if we don’t settle for any less than the very best we may as well merge with Spurs and write the next fifty years off. We go big, go large and nothing else should suffice. 

If the club have zero motivation to compete with the very best now that we have this chance to do so, I hope our fan base will be happy coming second fiddle over the next few years. 

I would be inclined to say I’m over reacting; but Jorginho was our top goal scorer with 7 penalties in the league; Werner couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat on a lake and we simply can’t put the pressure on Havertz to all of a sudden become a 30 goal a season player (which is what we need).

City will buy Kane; we need to match that.

24 minutes ago, thebluekid said:

Those would be the ones yes. We’re Champions of Europe and if we don’t settle for any less than the very best we may as well merge with Spurs and write the next fifty years off. We go big, go large and nothing else should suffice. 

If the club have zero motivation to compete with the very best now that we have this chance to do so, I hope our fan base will be happy coming second fiddle over the next few years. 

I would be inclined to say I’m over reacting; but Jorginho was our top goal scorer with 7 penalties in the league; Werner couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat on a lake and we simply can’t put the pressure on Havertz to all of a sudden become a 30 goal a season player (which is what we need).

I love the Analogy, (pardon the pun), Werner couldn't find his Arse with 2 hands, lol

50 minutes ago, thebluekid said:

I would agree with this.

If we manage to three-peat the disasters of 2015 and 2017 after major title wins it would be a travesty.

United will also buy Jadon Sancho for about 100 million.

1 hour ago, thebluekid said:

But if as you agree the choice is down to two players only, and they don't want to come here regardless or the clubs refuse to sell at any price, then you're not going to get what you want, whether we are the current champions of Europe or not.

No one has really started the "Tsunami" of transfer activity, just a few tentative enquiries, and supposed large bids now lodged, got a feeling 2 or 3 signings very quickly done.......on your marks.......

21 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

No one has really started the "Tsunami" of transfer activity, just a few tentative enquiries, and supposed large bids now lodged, got a feeling 2 or 3 signings very quickly done.......on your marks.......

I was just about to post that we are off to a slow start and that normally means not great business. Last season we had ziyech and Werner pretty much before the transfer window even opened. 

Edited by ozboy

7 minutes ago, ozboy said:

I was just about to post that we are off to a slow start and that normally means not great business. Last season we had ziyech and Werner pretty much before the transfer window even opened. 

I Think Euro 20 is whats holding up proceedings, i think we will again be the biggest player, Roman has more money to indulge in his 'Super Hobby'

1 hour ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Think Sancho to United is going to be the first big deal done