Next new Striker

Ballack & Blu

56 minutes ago, thebluekid said:

It's all just getting a bit of a f**king joke now isn't it. Win the Champions League and absolutely bottle improving the side going in to next season so we take a step back. Classic Chelsea this. 

True thebluekid,we really shouldn't be surprised really.

1 hour ago, thebluekid said:

It's all just getting a bit of a f**king joke now isn't it. Win the Champions League and absolutely bottle improving the side going in to next season so we take a step back. Classic Chelsea this. 

The usual mid July moan. There's still over 6 weeks to go. Also, we have no idea what goes on. 

2 hours ago, thebluekid said:

Who do you want us to buy?. 

I want us to sign everyone. I’m a pessimist at this time of the year and I apologise in advance for this pessimism. Truthfully speaking we’re all slightly petulant expecting signings to be an instantaneous affair; in reality though they take time. 

The bigger picture for me is Thomas Tuchel. I simply do not want the club to jeopardise his position by not backing him appropriately; I don’t care if it’s Haaland or Ings that he wants, do what we can to help him and his ideas. He is a special manager and to see him lose his job because of a misfiring frontline would be criminal. 

I just hope we have learned from the time where the board sh*t on Ancelotti and Conte after a successful season; whom with backing, both would have delivered more titles I am sure.

32 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Who do you want us to buy?. 

It's all part of the Shed end transfer cycle.

Phase 1 - We need to identify proven world class talent in the areas we need to most, if we can't get them then wait until the next window.  Don't waste money on dross.

Phase 2 - Linked with World class talent.  Most agree he will be tremendous, we'll win the quadruple.

Phase 3 - This comes in 2 variations  - No chance we'll sign said world class talent, or why spend £300 million on him when we can get unknown one season wonder for half the price (stats graph supplied)

Phase 4 - JUST SIGN SOMEBODY!!  If we don't sign anyone right now the seasons over, we're relegated.

Phase 5 - After finally signing some random blokes off eBay,  excellent signing (obligatory stats table showing he's somehow better than the original world class guy attached) this guy is going to win us the league.  Amazing job stealing him from under the noses of QPR and West Brom.  He's turns out World class on FIFA.

Phase 6 -  This one is usually mid season when the bloke bought from eBay is rumoured to be going out on loan in January.  Why do we keep buying randoms off eBay!  I keep saying only buy world class talent.

Then the cycle begins once again.

Quite happy with the squad we have. Would be nice if we can improve it sure, but TT achieved top 4 and won the CL with it after coming in mid season. With a full season I expect he improves us more.

6 hours ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

The lewandoski rumours keep increasing, I hope they aren't true especially if they are at the expense of CHO going to other way. We need a fresh and young striker, not someone in their 30s.

Lewa looks like a striker that can very well score goals into his mid 30s. 

12 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Quite happy with the squad we have. Would be nice if we can improve it sure, but TT achieved top 4 and won the CL with it after coming in mid season. With a full season I expect he improves us more.

THIS ^^^

Even with the same exact roster, you should expect more from TT's team this season. 

3 hours ago, thebluekid said:

If there was ever a video that highlights how badly we genuinely need a World Class number 9, this is it:

A Haaland or a Kane bags 90% of those.

would certainly have put a different spin on Ziyech's numbers/season

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

While I kind of agree with you in that the team as it is is good and can only improve, I think we are thin is some areas, specially in the midfield with 3 players to cover 2 positions and two of these players having muscular injuries on and off throughout the season. I'd hope to get a striker but it is not imperative if Havertz and Werner start scoring more chances (and I am assuming Tammy will be sold). And we are also a bit thin at RWB, but we can live with things as they are there with Azpi and James.

10 minutes ago, Valerie said:

No rumours yet on Wilfred Zaha? 

Or Hulk?

2 minutes ago, RMH said:

While I kind of agree with you in that the team as it is is good and can only improve, I think we are thin is some areas, specially in the midfield with 3 players to cover 2 positions and two of these players having muscular injuries on and off throughout the season. I'd hope to get a striker but it is not imperative if Havertz and Werner start scoring more chances (and I am assuming Tammy will be sold). And we are also a bit thin at RWB, but we can live with things as they are there with Azpi and James.

Funny thing about CM is there are players out there available we can sign, they have been well discussed at none Declan Rice prices. I am wondering, and yes I know this is laugh worthy, if TT wants to speak to and assess Ampadu, Chalobah and, here is the laugh, Baka and Drinkwater first...

6 hours ago, thebluekid said:

I want us to sign everyone. I’m a pessimist at this time of the year and I apologise in advance for this pessimism. Truthfully speaking we’re all slightly petulant expecting signings to be an instantaneous affair; in reality though they take time. 

The bigger picture for me is Thomas Tuchel. I simply do not want the club to jeopardise his position by not backing him appropriately; I don’t care if it’s Haaland or Ings that he wants, do what we can to help him and his ideas. He is a special manager and to see him lose his job because of a misfiring frontline would be criminal. 

I just hope we have learned from the time where the board sh*t on Ancelotti and Conte after a successful season; whom with backing, both would have delivered more titles I am sure.

The difference between this time and those is this time we have a team on the up full of young and youngish players that will carry on growing. The double was one last horrah (although not sure Ancelotti was the right man for a rebuild, he's still to this day not proven in that regard and was out of his depth at Everton with a similar remit), the 2015 and 2017 titles were Hazard sticky plaster jobs.

We invested the GDP of a small country buying/building half a new team last summer and got one of the world's best coaches half way through the same season to boot, that type of rate isn't sustainable every year. You may now point to something like "PSG spent £200m on Neymar then the same on Mbappe so why can't we spent £200m every summer" well yes they did spend that money but for three years after that they were filling their squad with freebies and cheap players because they spent years worth of budget in one go getting them in.

Who attainable is currently genuine massive upgrades on the current side? Back in 2017 I could list about 15 attainable wingbacks that would be instant upgrades on Moses and Alonso, numerous attainable CBs that were an upgrade on father time Cahill, many that were an upgrade on Matic and some attainable wingers that would have been an upgrade on Willian and Pedro.

I look at this side now. Is their a keeper available better than Edou? No. Is their a CB potentially avaliable that is an upgrade on Silva, Rudiger and Christensen (espeically if we stick to 3atb)? Not really. The striker market is thin, if we can't get Haaland, are any of our even semi realistic options less riskier than sticking with Kai at false 9 or even playing Mando? If you feel I'm wrong in this assessment feel free to give me names!

Wingbacks is probably the one place that really needs looking at if we're sticking to that formation I grant you as James/Chilwell combo don't cut it against teams that sit deep.

If there's genuine upgrades available and wanting to arrive them by all means, snap them up, but with the greatest of respect posts like these remind me of January 2020 when people were kicking off because our rivals signed the likes of Bergwijn, Gedson and Pablo Mari. Could you even imagine the state of our squad right now if we got them in for the sake of signing someone? We would have blocked of space for Thiago Silva, Ziyech, Havertz etc.

And I guess your thinking "yeah but under Conte we stood still" well we actually didn't which was part of the problem. When his plan A's weren't coming he could have easily utilised the best academy in the world, all the players Lampard promoted to get a top 4 finish with were available for Conte, even to use for scratch games to give his preferred Xl a rest. Then he could have gone into the market the following summer with £200m burning a hole in his pocket and that summer to give one example Cancelo became available who is a perfect wingback for his system. That's what Klopp did, he didn't panic sign anyone and waited until bonafide WC options were avaliable and there was Alison and VVD, ironically two players that would probably actually be with us now if Klopp did panic and load his squad with an average CB and GK (in turn blocking space for those two).

Do I want to go through a summer without signing anyone? Ideally no, but if the alternatives are 2017 esque signings or the likes that went to our rivals in January 2020 then 100% I'd rather wait, just like we did then and that didn't work out so bad, did it?

Edited by Argo

27 minutes ago, Argo said:

The difference between this time and those is this time we have a team on the up full of young and youngish players that will carry on growing. The double was one last horrah (although not sure Ancelotti was the right man for a rebuild, he's still to this day not proven in that regard and was out of his depth at Everton with a similar remit), the 2015 and 2017 titles were Hazard sticky plaster jobs.

We invested the GDP of a small country buying/building half a new team last summer and got one of the world's best coaches half way through the same season to boot, that type of rate isn't sustainable every year. You may now point to something like "PSG spent £200m on Neymar then the same on Mbappe so why can't we spent £200m every summer" well yes they did spend that money but for three years after that they were filling their squad with freebies and cheap players because they spent years worth of budget in one go getting them in.

Who attainable is currently genuine massive upgrades on the current side? Back in 2017 I could list about 15 attainable wingbacks that would be instant upgrades on Moses and Alonso, numerous attainable CBs that were an upgrade on father time Cahill, many that were an upgrade on Matic and some attainable wingers that would have been an upgrade on Willian and Pedro.

I look at this side now. Is their a keeper available better than Edou? No. Is their a CB potentially avaliable that is an upgrade on Silva, Rudiger and Christensen (espeically if we stick to 3atb)? Not really. The striker market is thin, if we can't get Haaland, are any of our even semi realistic options less riskier than sticking with Kai at false 9 or even playing Mando? If you feel I'm wrong in this assessment feel free to give me names!

Wingbacks is probably the one place that really needs looking at if we're sticking to that formation I grant you as James/Chilwell combo don't cut it against teams that sit deep.

If there's genuine upgrades available and wanting to arrive them by all means, snap them up, but with the greatest of respect posts like these remind me of January 2020 when people were kicking off because our rivals signed the likes of Bergwijn, Gedson and Pablo Mari. Could you even imagine the state of our squad right now if we got them in for the sake of signing someone? We would have blocked of space for Thiago Silva, Ziyech, Havertz etc.

And I guess your thinking "yeah but under Conte we stood still" well we actually didn't which was part of the problem. When his plan A's weren't coming he could have easily utilised the best academy in the world, all the players Lampard promoted to get a top 4 finish with were available for Conte, even to use for scratch games to give his preferred Xl a rest. Then he could have gone into the market the following summer with £200m burning a hole in his pocket and that summer to give one example Cancelo became available who is a perfect wingback for his system. That's what Klopp did, he didn't panic sign anyone and waited until bonafide WC options were avaliable and there was Alison and VVD, ironically two players that would probably actually be with us now if Klopp did panic and load his squad with an average CB and GK (in turn blocking space for those two).

Do I want to go through a summer without signing anyone? Ideally no, but if the alternatives are 2017 esque signings or the likes that went to our rivals in January 2020 then 100% I'd rather wait, just like we did then and that didn't work out so bad, did it?

Fantastic post, great insight in to it all and I’m inclined to agree following a different perspective. Top comment.

35 minutes ago, Argo said:

We are about break even in terms of net spend the last three seasons. I suppose that is part of our business model these days but considering our rivals are outspending their net by a significant amount it shouldn't be unheard of that we are prepared to do the same.

10 minutes ago, Sindre said:

We are about break even in terms of net spend the last three seasons. I suppose that is part of our business model these days but considering our rivals are outspending their net by a significant amount it shouldn't be unheard of that we are prepared to do the same.

Fair enough I'll concede that one but I stand by we shouldn't just dig into the market for the sake of it. Especially if we already have a superior striker and especially if we have a player already here who can do a similar job (for example Mando compared to many of our striker options).