Chelsea v WBA (PL) SAT 3rd Apr 2021 12:30 GMT

2 hours ago, Malta Blue said:

That's easier said then done, the more you drink the heavier you get.....I think it's going to be one of those paradox things

Dont forget about the drain valve

Well how typical of chelsea to fluff their lines. That loss was all about attitude. They turned up expecting West Brom to roll over. Shocking stuff. A reminder of why certain players just aren’t good enough to play for chelsea no matter who is in charge.

Missed the match and really not in form to trawl through the thread to see how everything came about but I’m sure it’s not pretty.

Had an idea something like this would happen. Unbeaten under TT had to end sometime, WBA, who would have guessed. TT names manager of the month and I’m sure some dimwit player said a week or so ago that we feared no one and could match any team, might have been Pulisic. 

Ah well we’ve given ourselves a bit of a mountain to climb but that’s the Chelsea way. KTBFFH

17 minutes ago, carrickblue said:

at least we're not Arsenal

Thing is, they have just as much chance of getting in the champions league as us now. This is why I dislike the Europa winner thing - doesn’t seem right. Winning the champs league and finishing 5th is one thing, but getting access and coming 7th is crazy. ‘Almost’ makes it a financially sensible decision to come third in your champs league group when you are in such a dogfight in the league. 

8 hours ago, Nevamind said:

Are you serious? 

Sorry, looked back at replay, my mistake, Alonso was nowhere near Pereira for the first goal. Nothing much could be done about that, it was a bit of tin a*se. The second however Alonso was planted in the 18 yard box as Pereira was winding up to shoot, did nothing to press him. Even in the lead up to it he was easily taken out of position by the WBA forward he was marking.  He is cut out to play LWB when there are 4 other defenders to cover him - he is good at finding space behind the opponents defence, but the trade-off is that he is defensively a nightmare. He gets skinned too easily and too often, and when we are a man down that trade-off is too much and becomes a liability.

That was a sh1t hot mess, about 60 minutes in I just wanted to end the game and call it as it is - it's one of those game you just had to lose terribly. Silva should not have started, simple as that. Maybe the international break forced Tuchel's hands, or just his rotation, for once it f* it up. You would crucify a 20 year old defender for doing that, let alone a Super start of the game. From being complete in charge, we just lose our plot, still pressing high up with 10 on the field, defenders not marking, and still pass it around at the back when we had fewer numbers. Can't believe how we conceded the first 2 goals, just bizarre and childish. We could be doing inquest for days, but probably no time for that. Just call it rotation went wrong, and players just lost that plot and not able to adapt. Now that first loss is out of the way, let's be realistic about the ability of this team.

Edited by icecoolguy22

When I realised David Coote, aka the useless VAR ref had this game it was a worry.  The nonsense that Silva deserves to be sent off for catching someone while trying to block but at the other end the same move is not a foul for a pen. Farcical.

I wondered where our players had gone, ones that had let Frank down game after game. New manager bounce and all we looked pretty decent team wise again. Impressive defensively for sure.

Manager of the month curse? Maybe. Straight ball down the middle from the keeper and we concede? Yeah that is how bad we were defending at the end for Lamps.

Jorginho was rage inducing. The worst of a terrible bunch of useless players.

This was not City, or Atletico or even Porto. This was West Brom, managed by Big sam no less, who is laughing at us and mocking us that his team thrashed us at the bridge.

5-2 to west brom? Are you kidding me? They are going down, they are a shockingly poor outfit and we made them look class. This is the sort of appalling attitude we see in this squad when they just cannot be arsed to put the effort in. There is no excuse for such a result or performance. 

Shameful.

Not many positives to take out of a Hideous performance other than hopefully it will straighten them up for the Porto Game.

So many poor performances, Namely, Reece James, Alonso, Jorginho, all of the back three were dreadful, and dont get me started on Silva.

Let's hope its a one off KTBFFH

Just watched highlights.

WBA  pouring forward with midfield joining attacks, sometimes with 5 men around or in the box, 4 or 5  passes to move from defence to edge of our box.

us with tons of aimless and pointless possession, , uncomfortable at the back but determined to play around on the edge of our own box .

Timo playing in the shoulder of the last defender hoping for a ball into space , but watching the ball going back and sideways.

our obsession with possession has been overtaken by by teams playing quick, dynamic football

I hope TT can sort this mess out, we've gotten away with it up to now more by chance with sides missing easy opportunities.

I don't mind losing or not winning anything as long as I am proud of the team, our style, effort and commitment.

Come on you BLUES !

I also watched the highlights too and a lot of bad performances.

One thing though as big Sam was saying how great WBA were he let one thing slip, 'we had three weeks to prepare this'. 

With most of ours on international duty, Champions League and FA Cup don't think our prep time as a team was even as much as 48 hours.

Its the curse of competing in a number of competitions and having international starters.

With watching the highlights Silva looks  irresponsible with that block and Jorginho had a bad match too as well as a number of others making poor decisions at key points.

8 hours ago, axman2526 said:

When I realised David Coote, aka the useless VAR ref had this game it was a worry.  The nonsense that Silva deserves to be sent off for catching someone while trying to block but at the other end the same move is not a foul for a pen. Farcical.

I wondered where our players had gone, ones that had let Frank down game after game. New manager bounce and all we looked pretty decent team wise again. Impressive defensively for sure.

Manager of the month curse? Maybe. Straight ball down the middle from the keeper and we concede? Yeah that is how bad we were defending at the end for Lamps.

Jorginho was rage inducing. The worst of a terrible bunch of useless players.

This was not City, or Atletico or even Porto. This was West Brom, managed by Big sam no less, who is laughing at us and mocking us that his team thrashed us at the bridge.

5-2 to west brom? Are you kidding me? They are going down, they are a shockingly poor outfit and we made them look class. This is the sort of appalling attitude we see in this squad when they just cannot be arsed to put the effort in. There is no excuse for such a result or performance. 

Shameful.

Gave myself a day before reacting, and honestly this pretty much sums it up. Whilst Silva was clearly a bit rusty and on the edge of being a liability at points, it's always baffled me that defenders lunge in to block shots (often inside the box), completely wipe out the striker but because the shot has already sailed over the bar, nothing ever gets done. It's a quirk of refereeing that apparently got completely forgotten about yesterday, apart from of course when we had a similar shout, at which point I can only assume the VAR lads had popped out for lunch. I felt the first yellow was fairly soft too, despite Danny Murphy on MOTD claiming it could've easily been a red for that alone 🤪 

Even accepting the red card, at that point we were 1-0 up and still having opportunities of our own for 2-0. The fact we completely imploded at the end of the first half and rolled over for West Brom is inexcusable. To have Big Sam swanning about the gaff, grinning like a dog with two d**ks, should be embarrassing for Tuchel and the players. There were some abysmal performances dropped out there and the blame has to equally rest on the shoulders of the players for their attitude and general level of performance when things got tough, and Tuchel for completely botching our tactical response to going down to 10. Plus the you could argue the starting line-up was looking decidedly underwhelming from the start, although maybe that says just how reliant we are on Mason Mount and/or Kante in the midfield!

There's not going to be another 'new manager bounce' this season so TT and the players are going to have a find a way to lift their heads for the Champions League midweek, but it's worrying because whilst I can accept an inevitable loss to someone, in some manner, to end the run we've been on, it being to the second worst team in the league, and it also being our joint worst home defeat in the league I believe, is serious.

2 hours ago, Remy10 said:

Gave myself a day before reacting, and honestly this pretty much sums it up. Whilst Silva was clearly a bit rusty and on the edge of being a liability at points, it's always baffled me that defenders lunge in to block shots (often inside the box), completely wipe out the striker but because the shot has already sailed over the bar, nothing ever gets done. It's a quirk of refereeing that apparently got completely forgotten about yesterday, apart from of course when we had a similar shout, at which point I can only assume the VAR lads had popped out for lunch. I felt the first yellow was fairly soft too, despite Danny Murphy on MOTD claiming it could've easily been a red for that alone 🤪 

Even accepting the red card, at that point we were 1-0 up and still having opportunities of our own for 2-0. The fact we completely imploded at the end of the first half and rolled over for West Brom is inexcusable. To have Big Sam swanning about the gaff, grinning like a dog with two d**ks, should be embarrassing for Tuchel and the players. There were some abysmal performances dropped out there and the blame has to equally rest on the shoulders of the players for their attitude and general level of performance when things got tough, and Tuchel for completely botching our tactical response to going down to 10. Plus the you could argue the starting line-up was looking decidedly underwhelming from the start, although maybe that says just how reliant we are on Mason Mount and/or Kante in the midfield!

There's not going to be another 'new manager bounce' this season so TT and the players are going to have a find a way to lift their heads for the Champions League midweek, but it's worrying because whilst I can accept an inevitable loss to someone, in some manner, to end the run we've been on, it being to the second worst team in the league, and it also being our joint worst home defeat in the league I believe, is serious.

A day later and I can sum my feelings up on this in a few words.

Humiliated, angry, embarrassed, ashamed.

22 hours ago, Socrates said:

What on earth was Tuchel thinking? I just wish Tuchel would start our strongest players against teams like West Brom. He can take them off second half if they need a rest. We’d lost the game at half time, 2-1 down, ten men, and the wrong players on the pitch. It was a disaster.

Why did Tuchel make the Porto game a priority? We’re not going to win the Champions League. Today was a must win game. A good run in the CL is a bonus. But let’s not get carried away. Top four is our priority. 

That’s what he’s been doing so far, prioritising the game against Atlético to Leeds’ 3 points, Second leg of Atleti for Southampton and yesterday for Porto. That’s 2 points out of 9 that we should have bagged against mid-low table teams. Having said that, yesterday i don’t think is on him. He chose a strong midfield, but he could not anticipate Jorginho’s brainfarts. True he could have made better subs at half time, but the starting line up should have beaten them and be more professional than they were. That’s not any coach’s fault, it’s just the players that we have are not good enough.

21 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Apparently it's Jorginho's fault that T.Silva got 2 yellows in the first half an hour. So next time when someone makes a bad pass our defenders can just concede a penalty or a red card and say hey man it's your fault cause you lost the ball in the first place, you don't lose it I don't get to mess things up!

Ffs do I need to watch the first two goals? (I’m not doing it because it still pains me to think about the result). It’s not only the sending off of Silva, if I remember correctly, their second goal was a direct header from Jorginho to their striker. He was directly involved and/or responsible for the two yellows and at least one of their goals in the first half. 
He’s done good in some games under Tuchel, don’t get me wrong, but yesterday’s performance deserve a period of time in Siberia to cool off and think about whether he needs to be on 120% every game.

1 minute ago, RMH said:

Ffs do I need to watch the first two goals? (I’m not doing it because it still pains me to think about the result). It’s not only the sending off of Silva, if I remember correctly, their second goal was a direct header from Jorginho to their striker. He was directly involved and/or responsible for the two yellows and at least one of their goals in the first half. 
He’s done good in some games under Tuchel, don’t get me wrong, but yesterday’s performance deserve a period of time in Siberia to cool off and think about whether he needs to be on 120% every game.

Make no mistake we absolutely need Jorginho to not make those mistakes and after this game I don't wish to see him in the starting lineup vs Porto but the first goal of West Brom was a simple long ball that everybody ignored and the second goal was when all said and done 1 West Brom player fooling 3 of our defenders and casually shooting at the near post, absolutely terrible defending.

This is actually the first time this season that Jorgino let us down by not doing his role and in his position we must have a player that can keep possession and pass the ball, but he wouldn't be responsible for anything if a world class player like T.Silva had managed to do his job and cover for his mistake... Sure it's easy to be a good defender when you don't need to actually defend while we're having 65% possession but when the time comes a CB must simply defend, this isn't Messi running over us it was West Brom...

10 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Make no mistake we absolutely need Jorginho to not make those mistakes and after this game I don't wish to see him in the starting lineup vs Porto but the first goal of West Brom was a simple long ball that everybody ignored and the second goal was when all said and done 1 West Brom player fooling 3 of our defenders and casually shooting at the near post, absolutely terrible defending.

This is actually the first time this season that Jorgino let us down by not doing his role and in his position we must have a player that can keep possession and pass the ball, but he wouldn't be responsible for anything if a world class player like T.Silva had managed to do his job and cover for his mistake... Sure it's easy to be a good defender when you don't need to actually defend while we're having 65% possession but when the time comes a CB must simply defend, this isn't Messi running over us it was West Brom...

Right, you made me watch their first two goals (and I will hate you forever for doing this to me and I would put some stats about my hate if I knew how to 😉) and it’s the second he’s at fault. Header off him to don’t know if it’s pereira or other one at the front of the box. He was directly involved in three game changing events in the first half. Now Tuchel is at fault for not changing him at half time. But, if we play Kova-Kante against Porto, I’m not 100% sure that they’ll work well because we’ve had some pretty sh*t games with those two. In my opinion, it’s the players not being 120% on it when they come on to the pitch, rather than individual quality. I keep banging on about it, it’s not just the coach, it’s more about the players motivation and that sometimes their don’t give a sh*t attitude.

Edited by RMH
8 minutes ago, RMH said:

It’s not just the coach, it’s more about the players motivation and that sometimes their don’t give a sh*t attitude.

Exactly this. Our players are not as good as they think they are but far more than that their attitude at times Frankly stinks. They lack professional pride and on the pitch leadership. Physically and ability wise they have the ability to win the occasional  trophy, but their attitude will stop us winning leagues and CLs.

4 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Exactly this. Our players are not as good as they think they are but far more than that their attitude at times Frankly stinks. They lack professional pride and on the pitch leadership. Physically and ability wise they have the ability to win the occasional  trophy, but their attitude will stop us winning leagues and CLs.

Absolutely this, our team is capable of the best and the worst. I just can’t explain why we are capable of playing like world champions against Liverpool or Atleti and the be sh*t against WestBrom or Sheffield Utd. It’s just a question of attitude and when they are on it we can win a trophy but they are not consistently good enough to be challenging every season.

I think some stability in the coaching seat would give us the opportunity to become a challenging team, but we need to change our owner’s mentality (and some of our fan base too).