Euro 2020 (played in 2021)

strider6004
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Well done to Scotland, but both teams looked crap to be honest, the whole game had a Championship feel to it, no flair, just a load of testosterone and steam. Iv'e seen at least 5 teams in this tournament that would walk all over this lot. Southgate nice guy, great for the media, but what a shower of sh*t tactically.

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Getting Shevchenko and Torres vibes from Kane.

They’re banging on about how his goals got us far in Russia but have forgotten they were all penalties :laugh2:

6 minutes ago, jt61 said:

I hope TT watched the game and steers well clear of Grealish.

Never trust a player that puts his hair before football😁

He wears stupid socks, AVOID!

6 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Getting Shevchenko and Torres vibes from Kane.

Absolutely! Still getting the goals for spuds like Sheva did for Milan and Torres for the bitters but looks way off energy wise! Must be coming to us😥

Ian Wright is f**king delusional if he thinks Foden should have stayed on. As good as he has been at times for an utterly dominant city he's not shown enough to be untouchable in this team. Bringing Grealish on was the right move made too late for me even though he did next to nothing bar get free kicks in poor positions, the problem was it took Mount out the game, who even with our blue specs taken off, was clearly the one linking up and making things happen.

Possibly another false dawn for England - they have the  players no doubt, but they looked like Chelsea under avb.

I like Southgate but that was awful.Sometimes you have to play players that have the right mentality and not the most skillful(Sterling).

Twice Mount found Sterling and twice Sterling could not control it or tripped over his feet, Kane was also pedestrian.

Reece was very slow on the ball down the right meaning we had no momentum there. He is like this at Chelsea at times and am not sure if it stress or he is not quick enough to see the pass and then it is close down. He did put in a cracking cross in the first that Kane was close to connecting with.

Mount had a cracking shot in the second yet apart from this opportunities were few. Also Mount's corners were poor never getting past the first defender.

Shaw was much better progressing on the left than Reece on the right.

Stones was unlucky with his header.

Sterling was fouled in the box and would have been a penalty if it had gone to VAR just like Alaba a day ago.

Grealish did not get on the ball enough for me though won three freekicks and strangely lost the ball in the dying minute in their penalty box.

Che Adams played reasonably well for the Scots and had a late chance he mish*t though would not say it was a sitter he was wide and would have needed a chance to trap it.

The pundits were impressed by Gilmour.

I thought on the corners we lacked some big players, Mount, Foden, Sterling all have no height.

Grealish did not see much of the ball though for me much more than Rashford. 

Pickford did ok for me today. 

1 hour ago, ashwin said:

Just so so bad 😂 Southgate is such a bad manager, did nothing while England did nothing.

Why would he not get Calvert-Lewin on? And why would anyone play Rashford down the centre?! And why did Sterling stay on? 

Also, is Sancho injured?

I think Southgate has been ok up until today though think Steve Clarke did better on the night.

England have some big names that are not producing, both Kane and Sterling. Sterling did score last time out though also missed a few.

Not even sure if the replacements are much better. 

The only unknown now is Sancho who has not been used. 

2 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I think Southgate has been ok up until today though think Steve Clarke did better on the night.

England have some big names that are not producing, both Kane and Sterling. Sterling did score last time out though also missed a few.

Not even sure if the replacements are much better. 

The only unknown now is Sancho who has not been used. 

Agree that Southgate has been okay however I think that he is may e being a wee bit Conservative in his approach to many games. 

It looked like tonight in the second half that it was a case of don't lose this rather than go out and win it. I suppose this is underxtandab as nothing is

won in the group stage and qualifying to the knockout stage is paramount.

1 hour ago, Blue Exile said:

I just don’t get the drooling over Grealish, plays like his end goal is to just win free kicks. 

Only good thing he did was a simple pass to Mount, who then put Shaw through with superb chip. Grealish seemed to be playing on his own, dribble until he gets fouled, or do a disoriented pass after a dribble. 

I'm guessing that in a more open game England could use the quality of Mount and others much more effectively but I'm sure that a team like France and Portugal really open that much, they are totally fine to defend and to not have the majority of possession.

With that said I think some players would shine while preventing attacks and counter-attacks, for now I've seen more from Kalvin Phillips than what I've seen from Declan Rice but that can change in the big game vs Portugal for example where Rice could be a hero by shutting down the attacking threats of B.Fernandes and B.Silva.

All this is if England gets to be the first in the group though, if by any chance England doesn't win against the Bohemians then as the second in the group England faces Spain/Sweden/Slovakia, a higher possibility of an easier opponent.

Edited by Gol15

The only way to understand Southgate leaving Sterling on for 90 minutes is by looking at the crosses of the round of 16. The first of the group plays the second of the France, Germany, Portugal group, while the second of England’s group plays the second of the Spain, Sweden, Slovakia, Poland group. It pays off to not top the group.

Southgate need to drop Kane and play DCL against the Czechs to see what else he has up front. England are as good as through already so the risk is minimal. That said Kane wasn’t the only issue, you could quite easily drop 5 or 6 of those that played last night. 

I wouldn’t drop Mount, but Jesus wept his corners were abysmal.