Liverpool v Chelsea (PL) Sat 28th Aug 2021 17:30 GMT

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

12 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Really looking at the opportunities we had where we made appaling choices with final passes that could lead to a one vs keeper chance, Lukaku twice, Kante, Mount and Havertz once each. Really really poor decision making and cost us the win.

I put that down as a lack of chemistry. Still a developing partnership.

Not going to watch that scene again but wasn't Alonso basically with his back to Mendy + looking up because of the ball + Mendy just went down the second before what Alonso would have seen before turning away. If anything I'd say Mendy probably didn't call out when he got back on his feet that he'll get the ball. But all that happened within a split second so these things can always happen during chaotic scenes in the box.

Also I can understand the interpretation of a deliberate handball - but that'd be the most harsh interpretation which didn't fit with the line of ruling the ref did in numerous occasions before so seems over the top - he didn't actually cared to check it properly on the screen.

5 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

He was awful. 2 players should have been booked for Liverpool early on for deliberately breaking up a promising attack of ours. Late in the first half, Salah got angry and kicked the ball away after giving away a foul and Taylor just ignored it but booked Mendy for the same thing after the penatly. Liverpool should have had at least 4 bookings today, but they didn't even get 1. We ended up with 2 and 1 red card and we didn't even make one bad foul in the whole match.

Salah kicking the ball away was mentioned and Fabinho for persistent fouling, not sure if any singular foul was worthy. 

We got a point, which in the circumstances is pretty good I feel.

11 hours ago, comtrend said:

I didn't think Reece James made a deliberate handball, wich is what he would have needed to do for a red card.

The rules have been changed to avoid this type of tripple punishment (red card, penalty and suspension). 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36047575

Seems we have good grounds to make an appeal to get the match ban reduced or even overturned.

7 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

I missed the game as my younger had a game. I listened to the last 30 minutes on Sirius XM Soccer Channel. One of their announcers is a Spurs' fan. He said Taylor was far to lenient for the Spurs, including letting Fabhinho get away.with at least offenses which should have warranted yellow cards. Taylor also overreacted with giving Mendy a yellow card when Henderson had no business getting in his way after the PK. 

That’s a fair comment Fabinho committed several fouls a couple of which were almost yellow on their own. Cumulatively he served a yellow. But you know what, f***  him and Liverpool we  drew with them anyway, at their shop. 

I don't even have such a problem with the penalty and sending off - no one really understands the rules and most referees would have done it.

I have a problem with

1) Salah not getting a yellow for petulantly kicking the ball away - embarrassing levels of incompetence

2) Fabinho not getting a yellow for a pretty bad challenge on Jorginho

3) The ref not spending more than a second to look at the replay - sheer arrogance

It's just incredible that refs are not accountable in the slightest in today's world. They should be giving pressers at the very least.

But overall, this gave us an opportunity for a fantastic team and confidence building exercise!

3 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Is that still the case? The current IFAB handball rules don't mention it:

Not sure, I have the hand book at home and that was the case. I wasn’t aware it changed 

All a bit academic now. Bring on Villa 👍

45 minutes ago, ashwin said:

I don't even have such a problem with the penalty and sending off - no one really understands the rules and most referees would have done it.

I have a problem with

1) Salah not getting a yellow for petulantly kicking the ball away - embarrassing levels of incompetence

2) Fabinho not getting a yellow for a pretty bad challenge on Jorginho

3) The ref not spending more than a second to look at the replay - sheer arrogance

It's just incredible that refs are not accountable in the slightest in today's world. They should be giving pressers at the very least.

But overall, this gave us an opportunity for a fantastic team and confidence building exercise!

Agreed with everything, but #3. The amount of times I have seen these moronic referees take hours to not overturn/confirm the simplest and most obvious of decisions, I don´t need him to look at this from all angles. I need them to get it right. I think this was actually done perfectly. The VAR room will have looked at the whole situation (game went on for a while), given their assessment, ball goes from body to hand, in a reflex James swipes at the ball to deny it going over the line, but go look for yourself to make sure you agree. Tee him up the correct replay and the correct decision (assuming the rules call for penalty/red card) was reached.

That´s how this should be done.  Also well done to hold the draw. Some great saves from Mendy from long range shots in the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half. After that Liverpool didn´t have much except for a lot of corners.

Though I might add: Isn´t that ball kicking away rule, one of the dumbest in the whole sport? This rule was introduced, when they used one ball on the pitch. Now there are like a dozen balls all around the pitch. There are like 100 of other situations like stepping in front of the ball/carrying the ball away to stop quick execution of freekicks that would call for a similar time-wasting yellow card that is never given. Either extend the rule or scrap it, because otherwise it seems completely arbitrary. 

Edited by ElTerrible

I hope I'm not reading too much into this but it seems a bit strange to me, Kante not passing to Lukaku then Kai not passing to Lukaku either and later on Lukaku not passing to Kai and Mount not passing to Kai. I hope it's not some ego trip going on.

24 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I hope I'm not reading too much into this but it seems a bit strange to me, Kante not passing to Lukaku then Kai not passing to Lukaku either and later on Lukaku not passing to Kai and Mount not passing to Kai. I hope it's not some ego trip going on.

I thought there was a few passes that looked obvious between those players that were ignored. I won't be reading much into it atm as I'm sure every game between all teams you will fine one or two missed opportunities for the perfect pass etc (always easier to see the right option from the TV). But will be keeping an eye on it going forward

There's a petition to ban Taylor from Chelsea games that's reached nearly 50k signatures:
https://www.change.org/p/the-football-association-uk-ban-anthony-bald-taylor-from-refereeing-chelsea-games?redirect=false

It's a shame that it was unprofessionally written so it just comes off as petty and might not be taken seriously.

Edited by sonic90

I'm suprised that many of us are referring to that red card. If it had been given to our opponent, are we going to be here saying it is wrong? Excuse me, when you handle the ball on the goalline in football, and maybe you prevent a goal, are we not aware that it is a red card? 

Although maybe a lot of young supporters are also in this forum. But it has always been a rule that if you handle the ball on the goal line, and maybe prevent a goal, it is red card.

In the build up of their goal, I feel Alonso should have left the ball for Mendy. He needs to be aware of the pitch, and what is going on at a moment. If your goalkeeper was beside you in the box, and the situation was getting rowdy, you leave the ball for your goalkeeper to keep.

I think this match has made me understand Tuchel a little bit more, I think he's a defensive coach, and maybe that doesn't allow him to know much about offense. Constantly I've been studying our attack, I feel we are poor in attack. Even in that first half, I feel we had many chances to score the second goal but we didn't. We need to work on our game going forward. 

Also I felt the coach should have used physical players yesterday. Chillwell should have played instead of Alonso, if I was the coach, I would have used Ziyech instead of Mount, also, I would have used Kante and Kovacic, instead of Jorginho and Kante. And that is because Liverpool are a physical team and we should have used all the physical players that we had.

10 minutes ago, hephzibah said:

I'm suprised that many of us are referring to that red card. If it had been given to our opponent, are we going to be here saying it is wrong? Excuse me, when you handle the ball on the goalline in football, and maybe you prevent a goal, are we not aware that it is a red card? 

Although maybe a lot of young supporters are also in this forum. But it has always been a rule that if you handle the ball on the goal line, and maybe prevent a goal, it is red card.

In the build up of their goal, I feel Alonso should have left the ball for Mendy. He needs to be aware of the pitch, and what is going on at a moment. If your goalkeeper was beside you in the box, and the situation was getting rowdy, you leave the ball for your goalkeeper to keep.

I think this match has made me understand Tuchel a little bit more, I think he's a defensive coach, and maybe that doesn't allow him to know much about offense. Constantly I've been studying our attack, I feel we are poor in attack. Even in that first half, I feel we had many chances to score the second goal but we didn't. We need to work on our game going forward. 

Also I felt the coach should have used physical players yesterday. Chillwell should have played instead of Alonso, if I was the coach, I would have used Ziyech instead of Mount, also, I would have used Kante and Kovacic, instead of Jorginho and Kante. And that is because Liverpool are a physical team and we should have used all the physical players that we had.

I'm not surprised some of you older supporters cannot keep up to date with the rules. Did you not hear about the 'double jeopardy' rule brought in a few seasons back ?

James had zero time to react to the ball spinning up off his thigh and on to his arm.

The argument that 'he was moving his arm towards the ball' is nonsense, no human on the planet can react like that, what happened was accidental, and the double jeopardy rule should of been used, a yellow card is the correct decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

7 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

If Reece hadn't of scooped his hand up he wouldn't have been shown a red card. The ball hit his thigh and then arm initially which would have been fine.

That's a really good point considering the circumstances.

Taylor would have still made the call based on the still image he went by because he wanted to make that call. 

However I agree with you, and believe in that split second Reece reacted to try and clear the ball by moving his body and arm towards the ball trying to use shoulder/chest to move it away from goal and unfortunately hit it with his upper arm instead.  When it hit his thigh then upper arm that was not a foul imo, even though Taylor based his call on it, however his next movement with his arm was deliberate.

There was intention to clear the ball and because it hit the upper arm as he moves his arm forward it is deliberate handball and is a pen and red card imo.

As I said before had it been at the other end and TAA had done it we would all be screaming pen and red card.

15 hours ago, comtrend said:

I didn't think Reece James made a deliberate handball, wich is what he would have needed to do for a red card.

The rules have been changed to avoid this type of tripple punishment (red card, penalty and suspension). 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36047575

That article is dated 14th April 2016 !

Is the rule change it mentions still valid ? A lot can happen in 5 and a bit years ...

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Hopefully not. Hopefully it was just really poor judgement of the situations, which is bad enough in itself as you have to make the right calls constantly if you want to win the title.

13 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Taylor would have still made the call based on the still image he went by because he wanted to make that call. 

Now your'e talking sense. The only reason he watched 2 frames of the video before turning back to the pitch was because he had already made his mind up before seeing the 2 frames.

3 minutes ago, coco said:

Now your'e talking sense. The only reason he watched 2 frames of the video before turning back to the pitch was because he had already made his mind up before seeing the 2 frames.

He had. We have enough prior evidence to known he has a real bias against us.

So even had Reece not had that gut reaction to move his body and arm towards the ball and push it away with his upper arm after the first contact from thigh to arm, he would have still made the call.

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Further to this point too much is being made of Taylor and his bias against us and not enough about us.

In the past we have not been good enough to overcome him, hence his screwing us over in 2 cup finals against a sh*t team.

This time we adapted and were still the better side, we had had best chances of the second half still, and had we done our offensive jobs properly we would have had 3 before all that pens stuff kicked off.

15 minutes ago, coco said:

I'm not surprised some of you older supporters cannot keep up to date with the rules. Did you not hear about the 'double jeopardy' rule brought in a few seasons back ?

James had zero time to react to the ball spinning up off his thigh and on to his arm.

The argument that 'he was moving his arm towards the ball' is nonsense, no human on the planet can react like that, what happened was accidental, and the double jeopardy rule should of been used, a yellow card is the correct decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

I didn't know about the rule, and I dare say a rule would not have been needed. It is what makes football interesting, once there is an hand ball in that position, if you issue a red card, I'm fine with it. Although if they've made the rule, then let it be yellow card.

But the most important thing is that Alonso should not have disturbed his goalkeeper in the build up to that Liverpool equaliser. You allow your goalkeeper to keep the ball in that instance and we would not have gotten to this Reece James red card. Now, I think we will lose Reece James for three matches now. Now can you imagine playing three matches without Reece James.

This is why we said Tuchel should have played Chillwell instead of Alonso. If we want to win the league, I feel our attitude in this type of matches is very important. If you had the chance of getting three points, and you are celebrating one point. Then how can you win the premier league. Can we win the premier league by playing draw in this kind of match? What makes us think that we won't drop points against small teams? Liverpool may not drop points against small teams and then end up winning the premier league.

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Yea, it was a bit much altogether but I can't believe it's down to ego problems; that would be amazing after only one game together. The Mount > Kai situation I think is reaching already a bit because it wasn't as clear cut. With Kanté > Kai instead of Rom I think it partially down to it being the easier option for Ngolo while still being threatening and Kai not passing to Rom I guess could equally just Kai being afraid of Rom being offside because he was that far ahead and completely free.

But it will defo take time to adjust those issues as well as how to press which seemed almost genuinely in sync when Havertz, Mount and Werner are playing together.

I'm very optimistic that we are rather at the beginning of a great display of football a few weeks further down the road when the missed pre-season of some + new addition(s) come together. Looking forward!