Aston Villa vs Chelsea (PL) Sat 27th Apr 24 20:00 GMT

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

21 minutes ago, Stas1 said:

So, it appears that the boys have some pride and fire in the bellies. Imagine what they could have achieved with a proper manager/tactician in place.

So when we show something positive it is the boys. When we show something negative it is Poch.

3 minutes ago, evissy said:

So when we show something positive it is the boys. When we show something negative it is Poch.

Which can easily be countered as if we show something positive it’s because of Poch. When we show something negative it’s because the players are poor. 

2 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Who would you have left out tonight in order to include Casadei ?

That’s not the point. Why is he here? Why is he not at Leicester, developing? We obviously don’t trust him to play serious minutes, yet we chose to stunt his development by calling him back for absolutely no good reason

Which team-mates were you closest to during your time here? Are you still in touch with them now?

I saw Dennis Wise not so long ago at the FA, he looks great, he is lighter now than when he was playing! I see Tony Cascarino periodically, he is a good lad Cas. I have not seen Andy Townsend for a while but I have seen Frank Sinclair. Eddie Newton is still doing some really good work at the club, and Andy Myers, and I am pleased the club has kept those players involved. That is very important and they are good role models for younger players.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/paul-elliott-captain-significant-and-proud

2 minutes ago, evissy said:

No, you have twisted my words. My intended message was that the players have the ability, desire and pride (i.e. not useless dross beyond any hope), and it is the manager's job to elicit and navigate the best response from these players individually and maximise synergy of collective performance. As a metaphor, think of an orchestra (with more or less capable musicians) and a conductor.  A good conductor will make your evening enjoyable and a bad conductor will put you off orchestral music for ever.  And yes, I do insist that under a more capable and savvy manager the same group of players in the same injury conundrum would perform much better and achieve much more.

The disallowed goal situation comes down to the severe lack of consistency again from these refs.

The reason why half of us are saying it was fine and the other half are saying it's a definite foul is because these refs switch it up every other game. There was a goal Newcastle scored where Joelinton was clearly pushing Gabriel for Arsenal. The goal stood, the refs saw nothing wrong with it. So for them to then say this nudge by Badiashile is a foul when it's a very similar way of gaining an advantage over the opponent, it's going to make us start asking questions. If Badiashile does that at the other end of the pitch, there's no way that is given as a penalty, so why is it a foul from an attacking perspective?

Officiating is just a complete clusterf**k in football. Officiating in other sports seem to have a firm grasp on what the rules are, but refs in this sport, especially in England, follow their own guidelines and change the rule depending on the situation. 

1 hour ago, WhiteWall said:

Regardless of the right or wrong of the VAR, I cannot understand why we go through this ridiculous gutless pantomime of asking him to go to the monitor. Just overrule him. Can anybody recall a referee ever going to the monitor and sticking with the decision.

I saw that for 2 penalties in the Las Palmas v Giroma game yesterday

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

It was a foul but the ref saw it and thought nothing of it so it should have stood.

VAR shouldnt intervene.

Exactly this. It was a foul, however the ref saw it and allowed it. 

We have been hearing how the threshold of physicality had been increased, ref goes by that but the VAR ref does not want it to stand.

They are supposed to put forward clear and obvious errors.

There is pushing and shoving in the box like this many tines each game. Why are there not several pens and several disallowed goals?

Clear and obvious not re refing the game.

If the ref gave it himself no issues but he did not, he saw it and said it was fine, then changed his mind for his mate.

Yet Grealishes handball miss was not clear and obvious...

Definitely 1 point gained. At half time, another 5:0 was on the card. We came out be more aggressive, they stopped playing, and we got back into it. Gallagher lifted us, the first goal was out of nothing but his persistent pressing, second goal was all on him beyond any debate. The third goal was ruled out correctly in my book, we'd hate to be on the receiving end of that. Both managers seemed to be happy with the result, so move on to the next game.

The application of VAR is a huge part of why I just don't watch football live anymore. 

I know we used to have those 5 to 10 seconds we thought we scored a late goal only for the lino to flag and be hit with that disappointment. Now though for them to check everything, take their sweet time checking it, look for a reason to disallow something they want to disallow and find something to give a pen for nothing because they want to.

It takes the joy out of watching the game. I cannot celebrate almost any goal cause I have to wait for the game to be full restarted and even then there is still a wonder of "is it good".

Is joyless. 

The technology us great, the people using it are worse than the refs we had before making mistakes.

3 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

The application of VAR is a huge part of why I just don't watch football live anymore. 

I know we used to have those 5 to 10 seconds we thought we scored a late goal only for the lino to flag and be hit with that disappointment. Now though for them to check everything, take their sweet time checking it, look for a reason to disallow something they want to disallow and find something to give a pen for nothing because they want to.

It takes the joy out of watching the game. I cannot celebrate almost any goal cause I have to wait for the game to be full restarted and even then there is still a wonder of "is it good".

Is joyless. 

The technology us great, the people using it are worse than the refs we had before making mistakes.

The ref saw the contact didn't give it. VAR cannot intervene. 

Disallowing a goal is the same as penalty call. 

Good arguments both for and against the goal standing and that’s the problem. 

It’s time to ditch it as it causes 10x the controversy than relying on a referee alone.

If anything it should be for offside only.

15 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Is joyless. 

Bring on AI

Actually, even better let's start developing Robot Refs so we don't have all this inconsistency

Edited by Bebe1980

5 hours ago, General said:

Looked like a foul live to me ?

Fairplay to the teamtalk this match as seemed like another leathering was on the cards at HT

Enzo is better out of the team. Jackson is the king of misses. Should get 45 mill for Connor at least in a few weeks ! 

Yes, it was a nudge. Everyone saw it live, whether it was enough to be a foul or not depend on the ref. The ref was 5 yards from the play and saw it clearly. 

This is not where VAR want to be used. We want var to be used when a player open his arm to block a free kick that lead to a corner

Edited by Bob stark

4 hours ago, Bob stark said:

The ref saw the contact didn't give it. VAR cannot intervene. 

Disallowing a goal is the same as penalty call. 

Clear and obvious error. VAR can overrule.

The ref either missed the blatant barge, or if he did see it, made a clear and obvious error in saying it wasn't a foul. The rules, in any interpretation, do not allow for a player to barge another in their back with such force that the attacking (barging) player is knocked backwards. and the defender (who received the barge) is so off balance that he cannot compete for the ball.

It was the correct decision. My only question is why did the VAR simply not overturn it without sending the ref to the monitor. But in anycase it was the correct outcome. 

4 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Is joyless. 

You and I are different. I enjoy the football more than ever and I m glad that on average games have more correct decisions now as opposed to “hand of. God”.  I only wish I was young enough to keep playing the kick around games I enjoyed most of my life. I still go regularly to sydney fc games even away games sometimes and wish I could be as season ticket holder at Stamford bridge. Of course one can find reasons to complain bi[ut football remains one of life’s great pleasures. 

2 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Yes, it was a nudge. Everyone saw it live, whether it was enough to be a foul or not depend on the ref. The ref was 5 yards from the play and saw it clearly. 

This is not where VAR want to be used. We want var to be used when a player open his arm to block a free kick that lead to a corner

Well said

1 hour ago, nonotnowjim said:

Clear and obvious error. VAR can overrule.

The ref either missed the blatant barge, or if he did see it, made a clear and obvious error in saying it wasn't a foul. The rules, in any interpretation, do not allow for a player to barge another in their back with such force that the attacking (barging) player is knocked backwards. and the defender (who received the barge) is so off balance that he cannot compete for the ball.

It was the correct decision. My only question is why did the VAR simply not overturn it without sending the ref to the monitor. But in anycase it was the correct outcome. 

Watch Diego Carlos' reaction, he does not even ask for a foul initially and he is the last one to raise his hands in the air after the ball goes in, only after all his team mates did it. It's the slightest of touches and the guy knew it.

Not in a million years was that a foul. If that is a foul then there should be a penalty kick for every single corner in every football match on this planet as this kind of contacts and even worse happen every single time when a corner kick is given.

Ref was biased for all the big decisions he took in the game. That challenge from Palmer on Morgan Rogers when he won the ball fair and square, that to be allowed a foul was a disgrace as well. Would have put Chelsea in a clear goalscoring situation inside the box.

4 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Spot on Bob. We wanted it to stop the horrendous errors, not the miniscule touches and hairline decisions. Been completed exploited by people carving out an extra career for themselves.