César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

Gem
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

2 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Why do people keep suggesting changing players in a defence that has conceded just two goals in 11 games? 

Because we need to look to the future. Everyone is absolutely loving our current run but some of these players will be found out in the Champions League, simple.

1 minute ago, rtwelch said:

Because we need to look to the future. Everyone is absolutely loving our current run but some of these players will be found out in the Champions League, simple.

Don't be ridiculous. This defence has looked completely fine against all kinds of top teams and top attacking players.
And Azpi wouldn't be half the wingback Moses is and is also extremely good at CB so should therefore continue there.

1 minute ago, rtwelch said:

Did you and Marty just get back in the Delorean to bring us this news? 

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Did you and Marty just get back in the Delorean to bring us this news? 

Haha no but I watch every game and I think it's a fair assessment. I am absolutely buzzing with how we're playing at the moment, but we need to be proactive to be continually improve surely? For the record I don't think Dave would make an effective WB despite what I said before.

42 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Courtois - 6£ million

Azpi - 7£ million
Luiz - 30£ million (but sold for roughly the same amount we've bought him for, twice)
Cahill - 7£ million

Moses - 10£ million
Matic - 21£ million
Kante - 30£ million
Alonso - 23£ million

Hazard - 28£ million
Pedro - 19£ million
Costa - 32£ million

Probably not the right thread for this but just did some research into what the team we usually have fielded this season have cost us. Got to say we have made som wonderful purchases there. Not a single player over 35 million and quite a few steals in there.

Except fot torres, I dont think we have ever bought a player for more than 32mil (costa, hazard, willian, batshuayi)

He's got to be one of the top 5 signing we had in the last 10 years, rarely has a bad game even when the team was at it's lowest point. I remember playing FM 2010 or 2011, found this young spanish fullback Cesar Azapilicueta, ticked all the boxes yet available at a ridiculous low price. FM was spot on, unlike their prediction for the likes of Rodwell or Yaya Sanogo.

Has to be the most under-rated player in the League, feel he doesn't get the recognition he deserves as he's not really flashy or pacy or skillful 

He performs at RB, performs at LB and is now performing at CB. Defensively, there's not many better than him. Easily the best defender in the League

• 5 weeks later...

On 17/12/2016 at 15:52, JT_<3 said:

do you think that when zouma's fully ready azpi could replace alonso?

I think he'll replace Moses, had my doubt about Alonso at first but I feel like he's making that LWB spot his own. I do agree that as soon as zouma is fully fit with match fitness back up to scratch he needs to be back in the team. 

I reckon it's a bit of take and give if we replace Moses with Cesar. We will be a lot more solid in defence, won't be conceding many crosses. We will lose a bit of attacking edge in the final third, but Moses' final ball haven't been all that great either. Sure he delivered one against Hull, but he delivered plenty of bad ones in between the assists.

12 hours ago, Brutos said:

Moses is not goings anywhere or getting dropped that's very very obvious he's a Conte guy and he's paying Conte back after the faith he's showed in him

Alonso is just as good going forward as Moses and he's also a better defender. If one of them is to be replaced I'm betting it will be Moses. 

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...