Vice captain for next season

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

With Super Frank now gone who do you think will be our new vice captain?

Cech is the first name that comes to mind as he often takes the armband BUT he wont always be first choice next season or so we are believe.

Cahill and Branna are the two names I would throw in the hat. Both are strong leaders on the pitch.

Who do you think will be named Vice captain?

Gaz or Ivanovic, assuming Courtois is staying.

I'd pick Gaz given that he should be the next captain once JT eventually retires, plus that I think Dave should get the RB spot and Ivanovic's job should be more to rotate with Terry/Cahill/Dave every few games, and to be brought on to see games out.

Edited by Jonty

Assuming he is still here, Cech would be the best option, he's shown great leadership skills in the past and is a top professional. I've lost count of the number of times Cech has pulled Terry/Luiz/Mikel/Drogba (etc.) out of arguments with officials and other players - it was Cech who shepherded JT off the pitch against Barca in 2012.

Next on my list would probably be Ivanovic, followed by Cahill or Mikel. Azpilicueta is definitely the pick of the younger players. If Mata was still here, he would also be on the list.

Maybe giving hazard or oscar the armband would help them kick on.

Otherwise I'd go Cech, Ivanovic, then cahill.

Hazard and Oscar don't seem like leaders to me, and their English still isn't the best so I don't see that happening.

• 2 months later...

I was reading an article today (on an admittedly sketchy website) about Gary Cahill's chances of captaining England with some comments regarding the future Chelsea captaincy and it being allocated on years with the club (which I think a lot of it is Jose playing at being Jose, rather than actual policy):

“Gary can be a captain,” said Mourinho. “He’s not the captain here because we made the decision, first of all John is the captain for many years.

“After that, we decided always for years [spent] at the club – so after him, Petr Cech, Didier Drogba, Branislav [ivanovic], [John] Obi Mikel – so he has lots of guys in front of him.

“Is he going to be a Chelsea captain? I hope not because for him to be captain, five or six of the other guys are not able to play.

“But can he be a captain [for England]? Does he have a captain profile? Yes.”

Looks like we've got captain Mikel before Captain Cahill!

I was reading an article today (on an admittedly sketchy website) about Gary Cahill's chances of captaining England with some comments regarding the future Chelsea captaincy and it being allocated on years with the club (which I think a lot of it is Jose playing at being Jose, rather than actual policy):

Looks like we've got captain Mikel before Captain Cahill!

Personally i can't see any of them ever being our captain. For all we know Terry has another 3 years in him. I don't think Cech, Drogba, Ivanovic or Mikel will even be playing at the club in 3 years time. And if any of them are still playing here in 3 years time i don't think any of them will be playing week after week.