Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2017/2018

8 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

Happens to most of them all look at Brian Clough towards the end.

I still don’t know if we can say that about Mourinho yet. He won two trophies last season. 

The problem with Jose is both us and United appointed him with the view of a long stint which isn't him. You can kind of excuse us making that mistake as we had the emotional connection plus back with us was the first time he went into a job himself with long term intentions, but for United to make the same mistake after his long term ability was so spectacularly exposed here is just ameutuer level decision making.

His next club need to accept what type of manager he is and let him play to his strength's, like we the first time and Inter did.

Edited by Argo

28 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

I think the commentators here are overselling Arsenal’s missed chances. Atletico have also missed chances and occasions where a different pass would have most likely led to a goal.

This is the problem with this country we oversell our own teams. It’s almost like they think cause they’re English they have a right to win.

I was just saying exactly the same to my husband as he came in just as the match was finishing.  I said that Robbie Savage kept saying Arsenal were the better side but couldn't see it myself really.  Atletico had just as many chances as Arse.  Typical English-club bias.

36 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

I think the commentators here are overselling Arsenal’s missed chances. Atletico have also missed chances and occasions where a different pass would have most likely led to a goal.

This is the problem with this country we oversell our own teams. It’s almost like they think cause they’re English they have a right to win.

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I was just saying exactly the same to my husband as he came in just as the match was finishing.  I said that Robbie Savage kept saying Arsenal were the better side but couldn't see it myself really.  Atletico had just as many chances as Arse.  Typical English-club bias.

just to let you know that here in the States the gooner Bias was going on ever since the group stage of the Europa Liga presentation from Fox Sports - I am sure that Fox Sports here in the States would want da gooners in The Finals - oh well let the gooners cry & I will laugh watching gooner fan tv xD

Edited by robdog

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

Bt are particularly guilty of this, expect when we play of course...had mixed feelings watching the game tonight...seeing Diego beat Arsenal up in a manner Morata can only dream of and yet it was here Morata and chelsea looked so good back in September, giving hope we could have a good season...seems so long ago now

19 minutes ago, The Brit said:

Bt are particularly guilty of this, expect when we play of course...had mixed feelings watching the game tonight...seeing Diego beat Arsenal up in a manner Morata can only dream of and yet it was here Morata and chelsea looked so good back in September, giving hope we could have a good season...seems so long ago now

God, I had literally forgotten about that!  Sheesh!

3 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

Happens to most of them all look at Brian Clough towards the end.

I still don’t know if we can say that about Mourinho yet. He won two trophies last season. 

No fair point I just think his brand of football looks massively dated now. United are terrible to watch and definitely haven't improved football wise. 

But like you say they have won trophies. 

4 hours ago, Dr Gonzo said:

No fair point I just think his brand of football looks massively dated now. United are terrible to watch and definitely haven't improved football wise. 

But like you say they have won trophies. 

I don’t disagree with that. His football does look dated. I honestly think they’ll win the league next season, then I think the season after it will fall apart.

31 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

I don’t disagree with that. His football does look dated. I honestly think they’ll win the league next season, then I think the season after it will fall apart.

Where have I heard this story before?

7 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

22 years at Arsenal and not a single European trophy to show for it, same goes for the League Cup too. There is no way Wenger should be viewed as one of the greatest managers in my opinion. The greatest managers win European Cup's, he has failed.

Roberto Di Matteo - better than Wenger ::MooNeY::

Negative football can only thrive when you are getting results/trophies.  If you are winning, everyone can look past the fact that you are playing 65% of the game in your own half scrambling around trying to keep the opposition from scoring.  The reality of it is, fans don't want to watch that game in game out.  Especially at home where they turn up for big games only to see you squeak by with a 1-0 win against relegation fodder.  I think even if you asked players (a defender myself) they don't like that type of system.  All the pressure is on the defense and midfield to control the game in their own part of the pitch.  One mistake will do your team in more times than not.  

It's a reactionary gameplan.  Mourinho many times over has said his main tactic is to sit back and wait for the opposition to make a mistake so they can be hit on the counter.  That's so reactionary that I can't believe world class players would buy into it.  I agree with posters above, I think this type of football is on the way out.  Obviously there will be lower sides that need to employ a PTB to shore up defense, but most competitive teams simply don't play this way anymore...

I honestly wish him luck, that league needs Rangers to come good again so it’s not just Celtic winning it every season. I’d prefer someone lik Aberdeen or someone come good and dethrone Celtic cause I think that would shake Scottish football up. It sure as hell needs it!

Hope I'm wrong yet don't see Stevie G being a success there though for once have respect for him having a go.

Thought Athletico would beat the Arse, pondered a 2-1 bet, glad now I didn't and Wenger now leaves on a barren season. I respect him keeping the Arse in the top four so long though think he should have gone last season or the one before.

14 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

I can't see it, Pep looks like he isn't relinquishing the title anytime soon and as much as it kills to say it if he does Liverpool look best placed to pounce as far as the immediate future's concerned. They (United) are also vastly outperforming their XG metre at both ends (funnily enough a bit like we were at this stage under him) and history strongly suggests that isn't sustainable.

Edited by Argo

14 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

No chance United will win the league next year, they are getting worse in my eyes as the season goes on. 

Hopefully that bodes well for the FA Cup final.......

City are miles ahead of anyone and I can see both Spurs and Liverpool catching up to United next season. Although I fully expect United to spend a sh*t load so who knows.

Edited by Dr Gonzo

10 minutes ago, Dr Gonzo said:

No chance United will win the league next year, they are getting worse in my eyes as the season goes on. 

Hopefully that bodes well for the FA Cup final.......

City are miles ahead of anyone and I can see both Spurs and Liverpool catching up to United next season. Although I fully expect United to spend a sh*t load so who knows.

They have already spent a sh*t load and a neutral will struggle to see the improvement. Take Pogba for example, how has he made them better?

Their fans will demand it though with the dross they are serving up weekly.

23 minutes ago, AlexTommo said:

Would have preferred Brighton not to have gotten a result tonight. We'd be better off with them needing to take points off of Liverpool. Now that their safe I don't see anything other than a Liverpool win.

I didn't see that coming yet don't think we would catch them anyway, one defeat too many this season.

58 minutes ago, AlexTommo said:

Would have preferred Brighton not to have gotten a result tonight. We'd be better off with them needing to take points off of Liverpool. Now that their safe I don't see anything other than a Liverpool win.

Who cares? We aren't getting top 4 anyway.