Alvaro Morata

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I could literally list 20 PL strikers that would do a better job for us.

He's a weak willed spaniard with no fight, no guts and no quality.

I am fed up.

I'll get some slack here and that's fine, but I would arguably say he cost us the 3 points.

He was too sloppy, too soft, he nullified our confidence to progress going forward, him staying on the pitch was a big factor to us not getting another goal and ultimately I think he was the biggest factor in us not winning. That sounds very stupid because he wasn't at fault for either of the goals, but the games are all about momentum and I really think momentum drops when we keep Morata on the pitch, the sooner he leaves the better in my opinion. 

Edited by Slojo

This day and age in modern football the striker is a dying breed, so that's good on our part as we've never really had many prolific goal scorers at this club who were in the number 9 position. 

All we really need is somebody who can do the job up there, I don't think we need someone like Harry Kane, even someone like Firimho who can join in on the player and score goals. Mostly just cause problems and play football, we don't need a forward who scores 20+ goals in the PL every season. 

11 minutes ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

Giroud with Hazard was working so foking well, even with the limited time they had together today, they made one of their magic. Don't blame Morata, I blame Sarri. totally out of nowhere. 

He was blinded by his 2 goals against the Europa league team and Southampton despite Morata missing numerous other chances in both games, offering nothing upfront and generally being the worst player in those matches. 

I never thought I will see a striker that was worse than Torres was for us. Morata right now is the worst striker we've had in quite some time. 

What I hate most about him is that he's also a pussy. Zero fight or aggression in him (except when he rolls over like a bitch and cries to the ref about rough treatment). 

He's soft and absolute garbage. It's hard for me to see him ever turning it around here. We need to cut our losses with him. 

Torres was poor, but at least he had some fighting spirit. Morata looks like he's given up before he even enters the pitch.

I'm afraid we won't be able to recover most of the fee we've paid for him but loaning him out to Serie A where he seems to do well might raise his value a bit before we can sell him.

Can we get someone good in January? Probably not but it's so frustrating to see such a spineless player leading the line for Chelsea. He's pathetic.

On 10/10/2018 at 01:27, DaRick said:

The thing about Morata is that he was most effective as a super-sub with Real Madrid/Juventus simply because his pace was an asset against tired legs.

I suspect Sarri knows this and is using him accordingly, except when he thinks that the opposition will give us space in behind from the off (ala Emery's Arsenal). 

It's become apparent, however, that most sides will defend deep and look to counter from the outset because they're scared of getting ripped apart.

In those cases, a target-man like Giroud is typically most effective because of his hold-up play and ability to win aerial duels (his good first touch helps as well).   

Agree that Morata's fragile psychological makeup resembles Chelsea-era Torres, although to be fair to Morata he at least looks to try and get himself into a position to score more often than his older compatriot did.

Nothing he did today has proven this analysis wrong IMO, which makes Sarri's decision to start him very odd indeed. Is it because Morata used to score goals against the better sides quite often at Real Madrid/Juventus? 

He also certainly shouldn't have played for 80 minutes. He missed a chance in the first half and became more marginalised as the game progressed. 

The sooner Sarri tries a system without Morata or Giroud, the better. Both are close to useless, only different ways. Morata can stretch the opposition and create chances, but can't finish his dinner. He is also weak as an egg noodle. Giroud is a stronger and has some (maybe 2-3 per game) flicks, but is as slow as Fabregas and wouldn't manage to get a shot off even if his life depended on it.

Hazard, Pedro or even Hudson-Odoi? Maybe Redan from the youth team? I don't know, but Morata has to go and Giroud was already too slow to play in a high octane team five years ago, let alone now.

Edited by opinionsarelike

I think enough people have expressed the exact same thoughts I had in mind so I wont bother repeating.

What I wanted to add was that the sooner he goes the better. Not because he doesn't score goals but because he hinders his team mates from scoring as well. That is unacceptable at the top level and you saw today how we messed around in the final third. We score more goals with him off the pitch. 

The sad thing is that Morata has everything he needs to be a world class player. He has quick feet, instinct finishing, good header, fast....and yet, he has such a weak mentality. 

I really like Morata but I refuse to spend anymore energy on him. He’s not doing it, he’s thinking about himself rather than the team. Move him on and get what we can for him. I’m done with him. 

We'd have been better off keeping Tammy Abraham and Batshuayi.

Problem is we blew so much money on Morata that the Board and manager feel obliged to stick with him.

Feel we need to bite the bullet in January and cut our losses on Morata. But we won't.

I suppose even mediocre teams won't be full with the desire to have this pain in the ass. It's not only about his finishing, it's his mentality, his body language, his style of playing.

the worst thing about this is that he has the support of the board/the owner and the core of this team which, happened to be spanish - Azpilicueta, Fabregas, Alonso. Our "captain" always delivers great balls when Morata is there but when is Giroud - always short, always slow, always never there..  Azpilicueta is terrible as a captain. Mata was trying to break his leg yesterday - he is ok with that. But when some other guy with a different nationality commits a sin, he always points it out. It's the same with our squad - look at the way he treats his countrymen and the rest. 

this is 75 mils. flop and we won't be let to get away from it that easily, trust me. 

Edited by Giordano_Bruno