We've got a new Kepa

Zeta
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

15 minutes ago, Remodez said:

Kinda crazy how people are wiped their memory of Kepa's time here outside of his last season. Calling him the worse we've had in the past 2 decades is laughable. 

This was from 19/20 alone BTW, so not just his last season like you've said...

2 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

According to the PSxG/90 metric on FBRef, Petrovic is the 2nd worst keeper in the PL  (this is probably the best metric for keepers as it basically measures goals allowed vs what a keeper should be expected to save after the shot has been taken. A positive number suggests better than average save ability and a negative worse than average. 

You can infer that the GKs for Spurs, Villa, Wolves, West Ham and Man United are a big part of why they are where they are in the table. They are basically keeping out a lot of shots that ought to be goals. Our two keepers, not so much ...

Kepa was 3rd on this metric last season (for the benefit of those who like to slag him off).  

image.png.03b1f19c46d32ca5b112e655db0d780b.png

image.png.bc72e40adfe6b4acb340353b57ad4c3a.png

These are strange stats to be honest - Raya went from top 5 to bottom 5 playing for a better team that concedes less. When it comes to keepers i think i like the eye test and Petro is certainly more reliable and more skilled the Kepa as per mine.

5 minutes ago, Jangz said:

These are strange stats to be honest - Raya went from top 5 to bottom 5 playing for a better team that concedes less. When it comes to keepers i think i like the eye test and Petro is certainly more reliable and more skilled the Kepa as per mine.

Getting slightly worried of the amount of screamers that are being scored against Petro now. Think I've counted 3 or 4 in the last month or so. 

3 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

According to the PSxG/90 metric on FBRef, Petrovic is the 2nd worst keeper in the PL  (this is probably the best metric for keepers as it basically measures goals allowed vs what a keeper should be expected to save after the shot has been taken. A positive number suggests better than average save ability and a negative worse than average. 

You can infer that the GKs for Spurs, Villa, Wolves, West Ham and Man United are a big part of why they are where they are in the table. They are basically keeping out a lot of shots that ought to be goals. Our two keepers, not so much ...

Kepa was 3rd on this metric last season (for the benefit of those who like to slag him off).  

image.png.03b1f19c46d32ca5b112e655db0d780b.png

image.png.bc72e40adfe6b4acb340353b57ad4c3a.png

I think we would be better off as a whole if we stopped looking at sheets to judge how a player is performing. It's like all of this xg bollocks that has lumped us with all of these players and brought us zero improvement on the pitch. These stats would have you believe that Onana has had a good season, but he's been awful. Put him in our defence managed by Pochettino and he would be one of the worst goalkeepers the Premier League has ever seen.

16 minutes ago, Mod said:

Posting Youtube videos is a bit of a waste of time though, for every bad compilation, there will be a worldie one!

Only watched the first 2 minutes of the video but which of the saves on there are supposed to be impressive or anything any standard goalkeeper wouldn't save?

Difference being the mistakes Kepa makes are unbelievably amateur.

Edit: carried on watching: 4:50 - very good saves against Villa, 11:47 couple good saves against Palace. Rest of the video filled out with saves i'd be disappointed to see a keeper concede from or clips of him dropping balls out for corners or parrying back into the penalty spot and floated passes to full backs and wingers. 

Edited by Ukraine Bolt

2 minutes ago, Ukraine Bolt said:

Only watched the first 2 minutes of the video but which of the saves on there are supposed to be impressive or anything any standard goalkeeper wouldn't save?

Difference being the mistakes Kepa makes are unbelievably amateur.

Didn't watch it either, just making the point re compilations! Saw a few minutes of this one though....

13 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I think we would be better off as a whole if we stopped looking at sheets to judge how a player is performing. It's like all of this xg bollocks that has lumped us with all of these players and brought us zero improvement on the pitch. These stats would have you believe that Onana has had a good season, but he's been awful. Put him in our defence managed by Pochettino and he would be one of the worst goalkeepers the Premier League has ever seen.

I f**king hate people banging on about XG. Probably even more than justifying a players performance by linking to a web page of stats. 

19 minutes ago, Mod said:

You're only bitter because you are bottom of the pile for xG on forum bedroom performers!

Val told me I was 3.1 out of 10. I would have been 1.5 but I let Liam watch

6 hours ago, abister1 said:

We do have a way of belittling people's achievements or true value once we have gone off them. 

I wonder why. Not constructive for the teams benefit at all. 

Sorry, but what exactly were Kepa's achievements?

Never want to see him in a Chelsea shirt again.

Kepa was a good keeper at times, especially his first season. However he could also be erratic and certainly suffered that period of incredibly poor form under Lamps which rightly saw him replaced with Mendy.

At a cost of £70m you have to say, overall, it was an appalling transfer.

3 hours ago, loz said:

I f**king hate people banging on about XG. Probably even more than justifying a players performance by linking to a web page of stats. 

Exactly. 

What xG can give you is only a brief, rough idea of how good are the chances a team creates.

In theory it sounds useful, but let's imagine two identical 1v1 situations, one of them is Messi against the goalkeeper, the other one is Sterling. 

Is there the same probability of a goal? xG metric says yes. 😂

2 minutes ago, wizardous said:

Exactly. 

What xG can give you is only a brief, rough idea of how good are the chances a team creates.

In theory it sounds useful, but let's imagine two identical 1v1 situations, one of them is Messi against the goalkeeper, the other one is Sterling. 

Is there the same probability of a goal? xG metric says yes. 😂

Exactly why taking Sterling out when he is one on one on the keeper shouldn't  be a straight red. Never a clear goalscoring opportunity.

This revisionist history with Kepa AGAIN. We signed Mendy because Kepa was sh*t for years. After 18 months or so Mendy had a massive dip in form and Kepa regained the number 1 spot and once again he proved to be absolute sh*t. Kepa was then signed as a bit of a panic loan by Real Madrid to cover Courtois' injury but again lost his place in the team because he is sh*t. 

If we're in 2024 and some of you are even considering Kepa being better than what we have now then I can't help you.

12 hours ago, timetowaste said:

This revisionist history with Kepa AGAIN. We signed Mendy because Kepa was sh*t for years. After 18 months or so Mendy had a massive dip in form and Kepa regained the number 1 spot and once again he proved to be absolute sh*t. Kepa was then signed as a bit of a panic loan by Real Madrid to cover Courtois' injury but again lost his place in the team because he is sh*t. 

If we're in 2024 and some of you are even considering Kepa being better than what we have now then I can't help you.

It is not revisionist nonsense. He had a terrible season in 19/20, but that aside he has done OK. Not £72m and £150K a week worth of OK, as you'd expect a top 3 in the world for those numbers, but neither of those were his fault. 

I was a bit disappointed that Courtois had another serious injury, as my ideal scenario would be Courtois as #1 for RM, Kepa signed permanently as RM #2, and we sign Lunin as our new number 1 (come on down agent Mudryk and the Ukraine connection), retain Petrovic as #2, and sell Sanchez.

18 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Who was a worse starting keeper for us in the past 2 decades then?

We have Sanchez who is worse and I don't know how people can rate Petrovic over Kepa yet when he's only played like 15 games so far, even Kepa had more than 15 good games. 

3 hours ago, Remodez said:

We have Sanchez who is worse and I don't know how people can rate Petrovic over Kepa yet when he's only played like 15 games so far, even Kepa had more than 15 good games. 

That's a skewed perspective. We have far more sample size of Kepa in a Chelsea kit than either Sanchez or Petro, in which the former isn't even our starting GK anymore. 

For 3 years Kepa has been nothing short of average. Relative to his price and wages, he's been sh*t. 

10 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

It is not revisionist nonsense. He had a terrible season in 19/20, but that aside he has done OK. Not £72m and £150K a week worth of OK, as you'd expect a top 3 in the world for those numbers, but neither of those were his fault. 

I was a bit disappointed that Courtois had another serious injury, as my ideal scenario would be Courtois as #1 for RM, Kepa signed permanently as RM #2, and we sign Lunin as our new number 1 (come on down agent Mudryk and the Ukraine connection), retain Petrovic as #2, and sell Sanchez.

I'd have to disagree, I think when we signed him initially he looked like a good keeper but it wasn't too long until he was found out. Can't command a box, poor at saving long shots and questionable positioning. 

• 2 weeks later...