coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

It's not spot on because Ampadu can't play - he's out injured. We literally have 2 defenders for the last 5 games of our season. If one of those gets injured, then Azpi is a CB

At this stage of his career, you could easily argue that Dave is a far better centre back than he is a right back, so not necessarily a problem for us !

59 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

At this stage of his career, you could easily argue that Dave is a far better centre back than he is a right back, so not necessarily a problem for us !

Yeah but do you want to start zappacosta on a EL final? 

Conte has been to some EPL matches I would enjoy it if he got another job here in England, it would give us the chance to see him objectively somewhere else.
Well, thats my biggest fear! I will hate it if any of out rivals get him as there manager. I actually know what he can achieve if he been backed by the board the same way Klopp and Guardiola were backed.

3 minutes ago, wallosh said:
On 01/05/2019 at 11:48, Strider6003 said:
Conte has been to some EPL matches I would enjoy it if he got another job here in England, it would give us the chance to see him objectively somewhere else.

Well, thats my biggest fear! I will hate it if any of out rivals get him as there manager. I actually know what he can achieve if he been backed by the board the same way Klopp and Guardiola were backed.

Yes that would be a risk.

I watch Juve regularly and think Allegri is a great manager. He is very tactically flexible and capable of changing games. 
I've never cared about boring. I'd have Conte and Jose back in a heartbeat. Much preferable to ideologues who have one way of playing and aren't capable of adapting for different matches. 
I will take Allegri right now over Sarri if he is being offered to me. I don't care if his team is boring to watch!
One thing I have missed about the Chelsea of old under Jose and Conte is how we come up against a top team tagged favourite, and then we play UGLY to steal a 1:0 win. Those days, when you are on winning and come up against us, you just don't know what to expect.
Today,

Conte had us extremely well drilled in his first season and we played some great football but let's not act like he came in and made up a formation based on our players. He was always going to play the 3/5 at the back. It got found out though and last season we were truly awful at times. 
Competing in the EPL, champions league, Fa cup and league cup with that squad is always going to be difficult, that was why Conte kept on emphasizing about the need to strengthen the team with some quality players. It's boring when people keep on moaning that the formation got found out. After finishing the season in the fifth position, we played United who were favourites in the Fa cup final, United dominated the game as expected but this same formation that has been found out was what gave us that edge over united.
Anti-Conte fans, please come up with something much more reasonable!

2 hours ago, JM7 said:

Strangely, I think if sarri secures us top 4 and gets us to cup finals then we would have to say that Sarri has been a success. 

My mind hurts about that statement being correct. 

I have to agree but it doesn't gloss over the s*** I have watched this year or plenty of managerial mistakes that have happened.

IMHO a few things happened with Don Antonio
  • he didn't want to play youth
  • he pissed off his players, especially the Brazilian players
  • he was always moaning to the board for some over-aged Italian players
The Board said let's cut our loses & trot out Don Maurizio. Yes he was stubborn, but it seems he has adjusted a bit to the club. Is it too little too late? Only time will tell. The hourglass is almost finished with the sand.
I disagree about Conte not giving youth a chance.
Christensen, Chalobah, Kennedy, Ampadu, Ake, RLC, Chalobah, Batschuayi, Aina were all given a chance under Conte. But only Christensen and Chalobah played like they worth being in the first eleven, thus they are the youth that got the most minutes.
Apart from RLC and CHO, no other youth have got good minutes under Sarri, and those two mentioned are simply having there chances because Sarri is under pressure, if he is allowed to get the type of players he wants, both will find it hard to get in his starting lineup.

Strangely, I think if sarri secures us top 4 and gets us to cup finals then we would have to say that Sarri has been a success. 
My mind hurts about that statement being correct. 
That will be a success for me too.
But then, he is still not the right manager to improve us!

22 hours ago, robdog said:

btw you money argument does wash w/ Pellegrini - I am sure he won with less money at San Lorenzo - Boca Juniors & River Plate are bigger than San Lorenzo - also I like how conveniently you left Poch out of this conversation - in fact I am done with this bs - you can like Klopp all you want but know that dude will always be a bride's maid - there is some proof if you look at his record overall - then you can enjoy this bit of info

Klopp's a better manager than Pochettino that's why. I thought it was more outrageous that Pellegrini was better than Klopp than Pellegrini was better than Pochettino (although also untrue).

He did? Great! I guess that makes him a world class manager. But here's a question. Graham Potter did a far more impressive job at Ostersund than Pellegrini did at San Lorenzo, so shouldn't Graham Potter be managing one of the best clubs in the world? I mean by the very same logic he must be a superior manager to Pellegrini, and by what we've already established he must be a superior manager to Klopp and Pochettino. So why is he managing a Championship side? It's because clubs recognise that, simply, some leagues are a lot harder to win than others. 

The £500m figure is both misleading and actually incorrect. As Liverpool boss Klopp has spent £372,550,000 on players. It seems like a lot, but Klopp has sold £252,300,000 worth of players in that time. Meaning his net spend is £120.25 million, with an added quality of £120.25 million he's took Liverpool from 6th to finishing with probably 97 ish points. A remarkable achievement, regardless of whether they actually win the title or not (of course it'd be a greater achievement if they did but it's good either way). 

This £120.25 million is very low, especially when you compare it to the likes of Jose Mourinho at Manchester United (£304.7 million net spend) and Conte (just a bit lower at £101.5 million). 

3 minutes ago, Desailly123 said:

Klopp's a better manager than Pochettino that's why. I thought it was more outrageous that Pellegrini was better than Klopp than Pellegrini was better than Pochettino (although also untrue).

He did? Great! I guess that makes him a world class manager. But here's a question. Graham Potter did a far more impressive job at Ostersund than Pellegrini did at San Lorenzo, so shouldn't Graham Potter be managing one of the best clubs in the world? I mean by the very same logic he must be a superior manager to Pellegrini, and by what we've already established he must be a superior manager to Klopp and Pochettino. So why is he managing a Championship side? It's because clubs recognise that, simply, some leagues are a lot harder to win than others. 

The £500m figure is both misleading and actually incorrect. As Liverpool boss Klopp has spent £372,550,000 on players. It seems like a lot, but Klopp has sold £252,300,000 worth of players in that time. Meaning his net spend is £120.25 million, with an added quality of £120.25 million he's took Liverpool from 6th to finishing with probably 97 ish points. A remarkable achievement, regardless of whether they actually win the title or not (of course it'd be a greater achievement if they did but it's good either way). 

This £120.25 million is very low, especially when you compare it to the likes of Jose Mourinho at Manchester United (£304.7 million net spend) and Conte (just a bit lower at £101.5 million). 

Why anyone knows or is interested in what Klopp or Poch have spent on players is beyond me.

In for me for another season solely because of what I've seen from Pep and Klopp's first seasons, they looked not so good but the second season is when managers kick on.

Unfortunately for us our successful mangers from the get go usually end up with a not so go second season. 

6 hours ago, wallosh said:

I disagree about Conte not giving youth a chance.
Christensen, Chalobah, Kennedy, Ampadu, Ake, RLC, Chalobah, Batschuayi, Aina were all given a chance under Conte. But only Christensen and Chalobah played like they worth being in the first eleven, thus they are the youth that got the most minutes.
Apart from RLC and CHO, no other youth have got good minutes under Sarri, and those two mentioned are simply having there chances because Sarri is under pressure, if he is allowed to get the type of players he wants, both will find it hard to get in his starting lineup.

How about four league wins in as many months while losing 7-1 on aggregate to two mid table teams in a week? How about approaching the game at The Ethiad like we were San Marino?

Conte did an incredible job in the title winning season, however the excuses for the second season are almost as comical as the one's made for Torres.

7 hours ago, Argo said:

How about approaching the game at The Ethiad like we were San Marino?

Conte did an incredible job in the title winning season, however the excuses for the second season are almost as comical as the one's made for Torres.

Yes, I much preferred the 6-0 battering we received this season.

The excuses some have made for Sarri and slightly less so his prodigal son on here over the course of this season is equally laughable. But at the end of the day, at Contes worst, we finished that second season with a trophy, let’s see where we are come the end of May this season.

9 hours ago, Argo said:

How about four league wins in as many months while losing 7-1 on aggregate to two mid table teams in a week? How about approaching the game at The Ethiad like we were San Marino?

We have had a similar patch this season as well though. Losing 10-0 on aggregate in the space of 4 days to City and Bournemouth. We didn't score away in the Premier League in 2019 until March. 

I disagreed with the RLC sub last night, but it’s understandable with his back issue and we’ll need him this weekend.

For us to have a transition season, completely changed our style, to be 4th and on the front foot in semi finals, I have to say Sarri has done a great job.

It could have backfired very easily, take a look at Scolari for example. I’m beginning to feel positive for next season, Jorginho beginning to show his worth, RLC turning into a monster, CHO broke into first team, transforming Kante into an attacking midfielder which must have taken balls, Sarri received a lot of criticism for it.

Also to consider that we’ve had Morata, Higuain and Giroud as strikers it’s incredible we’re still in the fight for top 4, still got a chance to win Europa, reached league cup final (Which could have been won if Kepa was subbed imo)

Bring on next season. Sarri IN!

3 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

The excuses some have made for Sarri and slightly less so his prodigal son on here over the course of this season is equally laughable. But at the end of the day, at Contes worst, we finished that second season with a trophy, let’s see where we are come the end of May this season.

Do you actually understand the meaning of the term "prodigal son" ?

It's just that it looks like in your haste/desire to get a little dig in, you have completely  misused the expression.

Edited by mclovin83

54 minutes ago, mclovin83 said:

Do you actually understand the meaning of the term "prodigal son" ?

It's just that it looks like in your haste/desire to get a little dig in, you have completely  misused the expression.

Yeah you’re right it’s maybe not the best term I could have come up with, that’s what I get for posting things as soon as I wake up but (if I’m correct) it was based on the story of a son who went off with money from his family squandered it all and then came back and the dad treated him better than his other sons who hadn’t done something so stupid. Happy to be told otherwise if I’m wrong about that of course.

The point was that people will make over the top excuses for Conte in the way that people make them for Sarri & Jorginho, it just depends what side of the fence you sit on - in my opinion anyway! 

Edited by EdinburghBlue

5 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I would say that defeat under Conte is the worst I've ever felt as a fan, worse than anything under Sarri, Scolari, AVB, the early 90's and even in 15/16. I'm talking the isolated circumstance obviously the whole season wasn't worse than 15/16.

I can accept defensive football, I can accept losing outright to a better team but I can't accept what happened that day, we went to keep the scoreline down and nothing else, even the sh*ttest teams go there with some sort of plan to try and nick something.

5 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I would say that defeat under Conte is the worst I've ever felt as a fan, worse than anything under Sarri, Scolari, AVB, the early 90's and even in 15/16. I'm talking the isolated circumstance obviously the whole season wasn't worse than 15/16.

I can accept defensive football, I can accept losing outright to a better team but I can't accept what happened that day, we went to keep the scoreline down and nothing else, even the sh*ttest teams go there with some sort of plan to try and nick something.

25 minutes ago, Argo said:

All about opinions. Don't get me wrong, that 1-0 was absolutely dire but it was Conte trying to prove a point to our Board that the squad he had could not compete with Man City. We lost and it was dreadful but if he had managed to get the 0-0, it would have been a masterstroke. Not my idea of how you play football and I don't agree with it but do fully understand the reasons.

The 6-0 on the other hand was a total embarrassment and pointed not so much at a coach who knew what he was doing and trying to achieve, but suggested that he didn't have a clue what to do and was out of his depth. Too many results & performances like that (and Bournemouth) and Sarri would have been gone by now. But as long as he's learnt from it we can put it behind us.

Edited by Nibs

3 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I disagreed with the RLC sub last night, but it’s understandable with his back issue and we’ll need him this weekend.

For us to have a transition season, completely changed our style, to be 4th and on the front foot in semi finals, I have to say Sarri has done a great job.

It could have backfired very easily, take a look at Scolari for example. I’m beginning to feel positive for next season, Jorginho beginning to show his worth, RLC turning into a monster, CHO broke into first team, transforming Kante into an attacking midfielder which must have taken balls, Sarri received a lot of criticism for it.

Also to consider that we’ve had Morata, Higuain and Giroud as strikers it’s incredible we’re still in the fight for top 4, still got a chance to win Europa, reached league cup final (Which could have been won if Kepa was subbed imo)

Bring on next season. Sarri IN!

Kante for me still looks very awkward in that role, not convinced he will work in that role long term.

1 minute ago, ducavis said:

Kante for me still looks very awkward in that role, not convinced he will work in that role long term.

Does look awkward at times, but I feel he has come a long way since start of season. Last night for example, he looked comfortable on the ball and even did a flick here and there.

This guy has no limits, you play him as a left back, centre back, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder, he’ll still be one of the worlds best. What a player.