coco

Man Utd vs Chelsea (PL) Sun 28th Apr 16:30 GMT

We used to have a good record at OT.

I'm hoping City trounce Utd so Solskjaer feels inclined to play openly against us to get a result instead of counter-attack.

That might play into our hands.

I am torn on who should start this match up top, but I believe Don Maurizio will start Breast diving Higuain. Let him go for an hour - 70 minutes then bring on the Sexy Giroud to finish the match - shame that CHO is out, because both Higuain & Giroud will suffer w/out his crosses into the box

a lot could come down to how they do tomorrow night, if city hopefully trounce them their wheels will be wobbling all over the place, where as a good result against city and i think they could be a different team come the chelsea game

28 minutes ago, luckywerthers said:

a lot could come down to how they do tomorrow night, if city hopefully trounce them their wheels will be wobbling all over the place, where as a good result against city and i think they could be a different team come the chelsea game

Despite normally close affairs I think with City going neck and neck with Liverpool, City will win by several goals.

32 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Despite normally close affairs I think with City going neck and neck with Liverpool, City will win by several goals.

Yea City aren't gonna f**k about are they especially with Champions League gone and the league the only big trophy left to play for. 

1 hour ago, Diamondgeezer said:

You only need to look at our record v the top 6 to know where this game is going. 

1. It’s not that bad.

2. It’s irrelevant.

How can we trust Sarri in an away game against a top 6 team! Doesn't matter how sh*t United are and how crap Olly is as a manager sadly this is only going one way, 3-1 united. 

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

How can we trust Sarri in an away game against a top 6 team! Doesn't matter how sh*t United are and how crap Olly is as a manager sadly this is only going one way, 3-1 united. 

Cue the false 9. You know he is just going to stick Hazard on top. ?‍♂️

32 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Cue the false 9. You know he is just going to stick Hazard on top. ?‍♂️

f**k Me, if Hazard plays false 9 for this game, it will be up there with all the other poor decisions. Hazard HAS to play where he can be a threat and hopefully we start with Giroud and then throw Higuain on to inject a bit of pace!! 

12 minutes ago, Nibs said:

f**k Me, if Hazard plays false 9 for this game, it will be up there with all the other poor decisions. Hazard HAS to play where he can be a threat and hopefully we start with Giroud and then throw Higuain on to inject a bit of pace!! 

Our available forwards for Sunday's game:

Walter_Marjorie_and_Ron.jpg

11 hours ago, Dean said:

1. It’s not that bad.

2. It’s irrelevant.

P9 W3 D2 L4 

It's pretty bad though isn't it? 

Why wouldn't it be relevant? If this team generally struggles against other teams within the top 6 and also has struggled with away games throughout the season it's definitely something we should be looking at going into the game. 

If Sarri has any hopes of securing a top 4 spot he's got to do something he hasn't achieved for most of the season. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

P9 W3 D2 L4 

It's pretty bad though isn't it? 

Why wouldn't it be relevant? If this team generally struggles against other teams within the top 6 and also has struggled with away games throughout the season it's definitely something we should be looking at going into the game. 

If Sarri has any hopes of securing a top 4 spot he's got to do something he hasn't achieved for most of the season. 

This is our record against teams mostly above us, so no it is not "pretty bad" but about bang in line with what it should be. Away track record i'll grant you, but it's a small sample. It's one of several factors (current form among them) that have a bearing on the game, not that relevant on its own and certainly not reason enough to expect us to lose before a ball has even been kicked. As for Sarri having to do something he hasn't achieved for most of the season, many thought he'd never give RLC and Hudson-Odoi a chance yet both now seem to be first team regulars. Many thought that under Sarri we'd never again be able to come back from behind and get a result. We've done that now. That was also a small sample, and in fact many are too quick to judge Sarri based on insufficient evidence.

Edited by Dean

15 minutes ago, Dean said:

This is our record against teams mostly above us, so no it is not "pretty bad" but about bang in line with what it should be. Away track record i'll grant you, but it's a small sample. It's one of several factors (current form among them) that have a bearing on the game, not that relevant on its own and certainly not reason enough to expect us to lose before a ball has even been kicked. As for Sarri having to do something he hasn't achieved for most of the season, many thought he'd never give RLC and Hudson-Odoi a chance yet both now seem to be first team regulars. Many thought that under Sarri we'd never again be able to come back from behind and get a result. We've done that now. That was also a small sample, and in fact many are too quick to judge Sarri based on insufficient evidence.

I take all that on board but some seem to be happy to keep on backing him despite pretty damning evidence that he isn't doing that good a job.

I honestly don't know what to expect from one game to the next. There have been occasions where I have been presently surprised at the side Sarri selected and how well the team performed. But they have been outweighed by a lot of poor, mind-numbingly boring performances where we have either lost or drawn and barely had a shot on goal. So I can well understand folk going into the United game with pessimism - let's just hope we are all a lot happier come Sunday and for that to happen Sarri needs to get it right. 

10 minutes ago, Dean said:

This is our record against teams mostly above us, so no it is not "pretty bad" but about bang in line with what it should be. 

It's not that small of a sample, it accounts for more than a quarter of the games we have played this season. 

In matches against the top 6 we're twice as likely to drop points as we are to win, I think this is all relevant going into this game. 

12 minutes ago, Dean said:

Away track record i'll grant you, but it's a small sample. It's one of several factors (current form among them) that have a bearing on the game, not that relevant on its own and certainly not reason enough to expect us to lose before a ball has even been kicked

Current form in the league, let's take the last 10 matches. 

Won: 5, Drawn: 2, Lost: 3. 

So much like the mini-league table we're just as likely to drop points as we are to win. 

17 minutes ago, Dean said:

As for Sarri having to do something he hasn't achieved for most of the season, many thought he'd never give RLC and Hudson-Odoi a chance yet both now seem to be first team regulars.

Slight difference between picking different players to setting the team up differently in order to effect the result don't you think? I applaud Sarri was picking those two players, it was long overdue but credit it where it's due it's nice to see a couple of players getting decent minutes in the team. 

19 minutes ago, Dean said:

Many thought that under Sarri we'd never again be able to come back from behind and get a result. We've done that now. 

When's he done that? To my knowledge the only times we've come from a losing position to win this season has been against 18th placed Cardiff in both our matches against them. 

20 minutes ago, Dean said:

in fact many are too quick to judge Sarri based on insufficient evidence.

We've got almost a full season to judge him on at this point, he's overseen over 50 matches for us now. That's plenty of games to form an opinion on him and his strengths and weaknesses as coach. 

Notice OGS has started a war of words with City over their dirty tactics, interesting as for me Utd are worse on that score.

What will go against us up at Utd will be things like Smalling tugging on our front players and aggressive challenges from players like Young that don't get attention from the ref.

Ref likely to be influenced by their crowd too.

17 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

It's not that small of a sample, it accounts for more than a quarter of the games we have played this season. 

In matches against the top 6 we're twice as likely to drop points as we are to win, I think this is all relevant going into this game. 

Current form in the league, let's take the last 10 matches. 

Won: 5, Drawn: 2, Lost: 3. 

So much like the mini-league table we're just as likely to drop points as we are to win. 

Slight difference between picking different players to setting the team up differently in order to effect the result don't you think? I applaud Sarri was picking those two players, it was long overdue but credit it where it's due it's nice to see a couple of players getting decent minutes in the team. 

When's he done that? To my knowledge the only times we've come from a losing position to win this season has been against 18th placed Cardiff in both our matches against them. 

We've got almost a full season to judge him on at this point, he's overseen over 50 matches for us now. That's plenty of games to form an opinion on him and his strengths and weaknesses as coach. 

Fair enough. I would argue a season is not enough, so perhaps i'm weird. But I am partly referencing my own errors in the past - times when i myself was too hasty to judge. An example would be Guardiola after his first season at City. I thought that 1) he's not a great manager, he's just been gifted the best teams (not untrue), 2) Conte must be better coz he won the league in his first season with an inferior squad. Seemed pretty logical at the time, but look where we / they are now. It's a complicated thing this football (as well as being simple :)) and things aren't always what they seem. 

38 minutes ago, Dean said:

Fair enough. I would argue a season is not enough, so perhaps i'm weird. But I am partly referencing my own errors in the past - times when i myself was too hasty to judge. An example would be Guardiola after his first season at City. I thought that 1) he's not a great manager, he's just been gifted the best teams (not untrue), 2) Conte must be better coz he won the league in his first season with an inferior squad. Seemed pretty logical at the time, but look where we / they are now. It's a complicated thing this football (as well as being simple :)) and things aren't always what they seem. 

I think timing is very important, Conte had more time in the season due to having no European football yet credit to him he got us playing a new style and using players we thought were deadwood - like Moses.

Pep tried playing out from the back using John Stones and it didn't work with MOTD highlighting the weakness every match. So they invested in better players that Pep knew would work in his system.

I wouldn't necessarily say one is better on their brief time in the EPL as both had to deal with different challenges so we are not comparing just apples more comparing apples and oranges.