mad_mac

Chelsea's next manager - evergreen post

Posted (edited)

TBH I haven't really got a problem with whatever Jose said when he was at Man Utd, all managers say things to get the fans onside.

I just don't think we should be going back to the same manager for a 3rd time.

If we want to play better, more attacking football then he is also the wrong man for the job.

Timing isn't ideal for Lampard as he has only just started his managerial path but I would much rather have him than Allegri.

Lampard understands the English game and the pace and intensity that comes with it more than Allegri would.

I'm not a fan of constantly looking at the Italian league for managers - it's a lot different to the EPL.

Lampard would also be more willing to keep an eye on our academy as well.

Other than him Ten Hag or Bielsa could be interesting.

Edited by 2211

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Rather not have a bottle job.

Should have had automatic promotion, bottled it.

Should have beaten Derby after spanking them every other time, bottled it. 

Don’t think it was a bottle job, more a case of his high press not being sustainable for a long championship season. You need to remember they were playing twice weekly regularly, kind of the like the problem Klopp had last season.

I wouldn’t judge him on his failure to get them into the league, rather I’d look at the way he improved individual players and their style of football. For me he is the ideal candidate to continue Sarri’s work especially if we are taking the ban this season.

14 hours ago, Snedger said:

I’d take Allardyce now rather than f**k about until the eve of the first match and appoint Lampard or Holland. All three of them will get sacked by Christmas or walk out next summer, so we might as well have the advantage of a manager spending preseason with the squad.

Whatever we do, we’re sure as eggs going to completely cock it up and somehow end up with the League Cup despite being utter sh*te and sacking two managers by Easter.

Still, whilst City are still being funded/run by the UAE, then it’s all a bit futile anyway.

I agree with the sentiment of this.  Hanging on to Conte until the start of pre-season and then bringing in Sarri last year was crazy, and really what Sarri and the team achieved is amazing on the back of those decisions.

I would like Sarri to stay and see what he can create given a full pre-season and a squad who are familiar with the way he works.  However, the noise coming out of Italy seems to suggest not just that he is wanted back there, but that he wants to return home.  That means it's time for the club to stand up and make some positive, quick decisions.  If Sarri is going, then we need to be ready to announce his replacement quickly and in time to plan for a pre-season which is only a month away.  My choices as replacements would be:  Lamps and Jody;  Eddie Howe (with Steve Holland as no.2);  Ajax guy or maybe Bielsa.  Mainly though I want to see positive steps that indicate a forward looking plan.

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Rather not have a bottle job.

Should have had automatic promotion, bottled it.

Should have beaten Derby after spanking them every other time, bottled it. 

Nah not a bottle job, he had a weak and young squad and they just didn't have the legs in the run in. 

They'll win the league next year. 

10 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

Whats worse: transfer rumor nonsense or new manager rumor drivel?

They are both equally detestable.  

It proves that there are very few journalists that are clued in to what is really going on at Chelsea.  

6 minutes ago, evissy said:

To be fair if we never changed managers or bought players we'd have very little to talk about 

Imagine how good it would be though if we either heard nothing until a transfer was made or if we only heard things that we were confident were true. 

We could spend our time talking about what we wanted to happen, not just talking about what the papers told us was happening - but wasn't. 

10 minutes ago, evissy said:

To be fair if we never changed managers or bought players we'd have very little to talk about 

Lineups, tactics, substitutions……...

4 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

Lineups, tactics, substitutions……...

Still a lot of talk about rumours, new managers, new players and so on.

2 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Imagine how good it would be though if we either heard nothing until a transfer was made or if we only heard things that we were confident were true. 

We could spend our time talking about what we wanted to happen, not just talking about what the papers told us was happening - but wasn't. 

It would be really great if there was somebody, anybody, in Europe who when they tweeted/reported/broke news, you could say "ok, that's for sure happening, 100%".

It's probably the only thing I enjoy about ESPN here in the US - they have a few reporters, namely Adam Schefter (NFL) and Adrian Wojnarowski (NBA), where if they report something, you know for a fact that it is happening and they are spitting the truth.  Football in Europe (and as a whole, ESPN FC is garbage) just doesn't have anything like it.

We’re in abit of a mess aren’t we? Manager on his way out, best player sold, two brightest young stars injured, transfer ban. This certainly is the most difficult time I remember us going through since we became a top team.

I have to say I don’t think Hazard could have picked a worse time to leave, even though I’m not holding it against him.

It will be interesting to see what we do over the next few weeks, I won’t be happy if we go for Allegri after Sarri. I hope we stick to the attacking football plan.

Not saying it is the right move but I reckon it will go to Zola.

A year under the Sarri learning tree, no compo to pay, fan favorite so will be given lots of slack. Ticks too many boxes.

12 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

A year under the Sarri learning tree, no compo to pay, fan favorite so will be given lots of slack. Ticks too many boxes.

Dennis Wise agrees with you:

26 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Except he has an underwhelming managerial career...…...

18 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

What?? The fans stuck by him until the very end. Mourinho burnt his own bridges by selling all our upcoming talent for a quick trophy, going to a rival and then goading us in press conferences.

Mourinho may have built a legacy, but he also single-handedly destroyed it. 

I dont get how people say we stuck with him to the end he won the trophy then got sacked half way through the next season, so half a season before for all those years of service? 

His act at Man U and his subsequence behaviour wasn’t very endearing but maybe he felt we were ungreatful, he is an arse at yikes but it’s part of his personality and in a way part of his success.

I find it hard to hate a guy that gave me so many good memories, and after winning 3 leagues the club didn’t back him, as they didn’t back conte after winning and as sarri said they don’t talk to him so he was posed off at the club and he had player revolt which got rid of him then conte, so add that to his pre existing demeanour and it’s bit hard to conceive why he was the way he was 

18 hours ago, bisright1 said:

We called hazard and fabregas rats when he got sacked. People blamed the players. 

In hindsight, his treatment of Eva was awful and that probably began to hurt his rep with the fans. But it was when he came back as united manager and made deliberate comments about how they were a bigger club that the fans began to turn. 

If after he had been sacked, gone to united, and always said "I will never talk about Chelsea because the I love the Chelsea fans" I imagine there would be a clamour now for his return. 

I do agree with the last part of what you said but I think he felt burned by the club and players maybe even the fans towards the end bench his signaling of 3 to the fans as in 3 titles, he isn’t petulant he could have had handles it better, much better of course but I do think he has cause for grievance, the club have treated 3 managers in a row like sh*t, it’s unfortunate for all because ive got such good memories with Jose. 

8 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

We’re in abit of a mess aren’t we? Manager on his way out, best player sold, two brightest young stars injured, transfer ban. This certainly is the most difficult time I remember us going through since we became a top team.

I have to say I don’t think Hazard could have picked a worse time to leave, even though I’m not holding it against him.

It will be interesting to see what we do over the next few weeks, I won’t be happy if we go for Allegri after Sarri. I hope we stick to the attacking football plan.

And as usual, the club stays quiet and just lets the media negativity and fan gossip go on. 

Fabregas said something interesting during the Europa League final. He was saying that there is nobody at the club that comes out and defends or speaks out, they always just let the negative stories continue. He was right, they don't say anything. It's just constant negativity and the club doesn't really come out and explain what is going on to the fans. We aren't the only club like this, but it's still something that really irritates me.

I think I am just fed up with it all. I'm sick of the constant negativity, it's got to the point where I just don't want to visit the forum anymore because it's fresh bad news or fans trying to work out what the hell is even going on. The speculation, gossip, it's boring, it goes on and on and on and the fans are constantly in the dark about everything. Just look at the whole transfer ban saga, that has been confusing since the club first appealed to FIFA. 

13 hours ago, bisright1 said:

I remember when football was actually like that.:oldboy:

I love Zola. He was one of the reasons I softened to Chelsea in the first place. I just don't see a scenario where he is a manager leading us to Glory. I would love to see that but I'm too much of a sceptic. 

10 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Except the most important Box - the one that asks is he a good manager!!

Love Zola and don't mind him having input on the coaching side but it would be a disaster if he were to be handed the reigns.

4 hours ago, WalterWhiteCFC said:

I dont get how people say we stuck with him to the end he won the trophy then got sacked half way through the next season, so half a season before for all those years of service? 

His act at Man U and his subsequence behaviour wasn’t very endearing but maybe he felt we were ungreatful, he is an arse at yikes but it’s part of his personality and in a way part of his success.

Ungrateful for what? That we were chanting his name when he was fighting relegation or took his word over the players despite all forms of logic saying we shouldn't? The support Mourinho was given was unprecedented under the circumstances, no other manager at no other club (especially in England) would have got the same level of support through such a castastrophic nosedive.

I'm sorry but the idea that Mourinho lacked support by the fans is the most laughable thing I've ever seen, he's even been let of lightly with his comments about us since given how other's (Courtois) have been turned into a public hate figure for similar actions.

19 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Except the most important Box - the one that asks is he a good manager!!

Love Zola and don't mind him having input on the coaching side but it would be a disaster if he were to be handed the reigns.

He doesn't look like the leader we need. He is one of the most intelligent players on the pitch we have seen in the Prem but he is more of an assistant coach type. You could ask him for detailed information about breaking defense but he doesn't seem like the type who leads us to a certain direction. He lacks of determination in my eyes. 

If he was surrounded by the brightest assistant coaches around he could we guide us. He is a lovable type and positive results would lift him massively. 

Posted (edited)
On 10/06/2019 at 07:05, WalterWhiteCFC said:

Here is what he said in a recent interview and I think the self realisation that his style needs to adapt to modern football shows that he is someone who demands excellence and is always willing to get better.

"I've been using the time to work on my future, to improve my technical staff, to find a new dimension to my work, without obviously losing what I am," Mourinho said to Eleven Sports.

"It was me who, being as I am and thinking as I think, got to where I am. But my work has been at that level. I want to be better, I want to adapt, I want to reformulate myself and that's what I've been doing."

He said similar bullsh*t when he returned last time, only to give up on the evolving/long term thing the second things got tough and went all out for a quick title. No matter how much he tries he will always revert to safety first at the first sign of trouble.

This is his comments after his first loss back here (away vs Everton) in 2013.

"We have to build a team full of talented players without the experience and the football philosophy born of having worked together for a long time, going in one direction looking for an identity. The process has to end with a team, a philosophy, an identity, a style of play. If we win a match but not in the style we're trying to build, it's three points, one step up the table but one step back in the direction of our work. What we want to do is both things at the same time. If we'd gone to Everton [on Saturday], had a very bad match and, in the last minute, Leighton Baines had scored an own goal and we'd won 1-0, would we be happy? In normal circumstances, yes, but when you're trying to build something different? No."

Three months later KDB is as good as gone and (after our cup exit to Sunderland) he makes comments saying the exact opposite and how the project is off. He may come back with the intention of changing his ways and building something but by Christmas that would all be shelved. 

I fell for it once, I won't be doing so this time.

Us bringing him back to build up the new generation of KDB etc was naive but you can understand the romance towards our greatest manager coming back and settling down. It was his first shot at doing such so we so under the circumstances you can understand why we made the gamble.

United appointing him to build something sustainable after his lack of ability to do such was brutally exposed for the whole world to see was stupid and they got what they deserved by such a decision.

Us doing the exact same thing again after it's been evidently demonstrated twice (that this aspect of management just isn't for him) and climaxed in us fighting relegation when we tried it would be borderline sabotage and make me genuinely question the sanity of whoever made the decision.

Any club or country who appoints Mourinho now has to do it with the brief of it's short term and we must win now, that's his MO, patiently building clubs up just isn't in him. Even if he had the ability to do it do you really think his ego will allow him to patiently build up our next generation while Pep and Klopp are hoovering up the trophies? Not a chance in hell, he would lose his mind more than ever before.

Jose is a big part of our history and no one can ever take that away from him, but he should have absolutely no part of our present or future.

Edited by Argo