Jump to content


mad_mac

Chelsea's next manager - evergreen post


Recommended Posts

Welp, it's that time again (maybe, as Sarri is still with us at this point.  However, his comments about being homesick, missing family, elderly parents, etc, I'm pretty sure we will not be starting next season with Sarri at the helm).

You got it folks, I'm pretty sure the manager-merry-go-round is about to start again here at our beloved club.  And as always, I will plead into the void as much as I can that the club act quickly.

This season however, is slightly different.  For once it feels like the manager wants away as much as the club want rid.  I'm not sure Sarri was ever a long term vision for the club to be honest; I never fully bought into the talk of giving him time to implement his style and philosophy.  He got us back into the top 4, delivered another wonderful trophy, and now we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The had place being ever more "hard" (steady!!!) this season as we face a potential 2 window ban, and we are seeing our most creative player ever leave for pastures new.  Only incoming player is Pulisic, a bit of an enigma, and then we are probably going to have to finally take a look at some homegrown talent this summer.  Silver linings and all that.

Despite the depth of youngsters and loanees we have available, we need someone who can 1) Make sure we are competitive 2) Work with some youngsters already established, and 3) Probably be forced to work in some youngsters that we don't know enough about yet.

So, who is that person?  Lampard??  I'd love to see him given the time and backing, but I'm not sure he will and I'd hate to see fans potentially turning on my all time favourite Chelsea player.  Garcia??  A big step up from Watford to Chelsea, for sure.  However, what has he won, what is his pedigree?  

So, fellow posters, who do we think is likely to take the reigns from Sarri this summer given the astounding levels of uncertainty coupled with the crippling weight of expectation even in times of adversity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it ridiculous that on this forum, we have people who are desperate to offload Sarri, and people complaining about the constant changing of managers at the same time. 

 

I still can't believe people are even considering Lampard as a manager, hiring someone to manage an ambitious club because he was a very good footballer for the club is silly. Lampard has 1 average Championship season to his name as a manager, how does that qualify him to manage Chelsea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

I find it ridiculous that on this forum, we have people who are desperate to offload Sarri, and people complaining about the constant changing of managers at the same time. 

 

I still can't believe people are even considering Lampard as a manager, hiring someone to manage an ambitious club because he was a very good footballer for the club is silly. Lampard has 1 average Championship season to his name as a manager, how does that qualify him to manage Chelsea?

 

I know - ridiculous to consider. I mean, it didn’t work out when Barcelona took that chance with Pep or Real Madrid with Zidane. Bonkers...  

doesnt always pay off (giggs, shearer etc), but why not? Can’t be any worse than our usual short term plan of hire n fire. (Albeit sarri not fired) . 

 

What other options are there out there with a transfer ban and a season that we will be forced to filter in youth to make a success? A club legend who would gain immediate respect from these players and an assistant in Jody who has managed these exact players to great success for the last few years. 

 

We would be fools to not attempt to bring that team in and I think we will. I think the only thing that would stop that would be if frank decided it was too soon for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chelseaggo said:

 

I know - ridiculous to consider. I mean, it didn’t work out when Barcelona took that chance with Pep or Real Madrid with Zidane. Bonkers...  

doesnt always pay off (giggs, shearer etc), but why not? Can’t be any worse than our usual short term plan of hire n fire. (Albeit sarri not fired) . 

 

What other options are there out there with a transfer ban and a season that we will be forced to filter in youth to make a success? A club legend who would gain immediate respect from these players and an assistant in Jody who has managed these exact players to great success for the last few years. 

 

We would be fools to not attempt to bring that team in and I think we will. I think the only thing that would stop that would be if frank decided it was too soon for him. 

Exactly!

It is perhaps to soon but Derby's style changed for the better under Lampard and his use of youth is something we could do with, especially Mount who was very pleasing on the eye in the few games i saw.

I think if expectations are lowered next season, which i'm sure they will be given the transfer ban, injuries and losing our best player then its a scenario where he cant fail, barring a Moruninho 15/16 meltdown. He will have a year to plan out transfer targets with an actual DOF (if Petr is back) and can intergrate our youth.

What other managers are seriously going to look at us, i know we will always pay big wages and guarantee a big pay out when they are sacked but with a transfer ban, no Hazard and 3 of our most exciting prospects out with long term injuries why would they bother? Lampard would bring a feel good factor back to the bridge after a couple of seasons of ill feelings towards the last managers and it could be end up being like Pep or Zidane at worst it ends up going wrong but any manager coming in who cant make his signings could potentially back fire just as much unless we go back to the Jose/Antonio type managers which i for one would prefer a more attack minded coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

Lampard has 1 average Championship season to his name as a manager, how does that qualify him to manage Chelsea?

I think you’re being harsh, he had a very good season at Derby & derby fans are desperate to keep him and Jody from what I’ve seen. His first year in management; he’s lowered the average age of the team by about 3 years, integrated the youth, improved the style of play massively, all the while not letting the results slip either & they’ve just fallen at the last hurdle in the playoff final, in large part to a goalkeeping howler. 

 

Is it too soon? I think so, but it doesn’t take away from the job he’s done this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chelseaggo said:

 

I know - ridiculous to consider. I mean, it didn’t work out when Barcelona took that chance with Pep or Real Madrid with Zidane. Bonkers...  

doesnt always pay off (giggs, shearer etc), but why not? Can’t be any worse than our usual short term plan of hire n fire. (Albeit sarri not fired) . 

 

What other options are there out there with a transfer ban and a season that we will be forced to filter in youth to make a success? A club legend who would gain immediate respect from these players and an assistant in Jody who has managed these exact players to great success for the last few years. 

 

We would be fools to not attempt to bring that team in and I think we will. I think the only thing that would stop that would be if frank decided it was too soon for him. 

I seen a few people bring up the zidane and Guardiola comparisons, but look at the teams they both inherited. Both teams were full of quality, and both teams had some massive leaders in the dressing room. 

Given the circumstances, is it not more likely Lampard could really struggle? 

I would Lampard back one day, but at this moment in time, the job would be tough for the best mamagers in the world. 

Weve lost our best player, we have squad that is between styles, alot of our key players are on the decline, and 2 of the ones that arent are out with serious injury, and we cant sign any players. 

It seems we are pinning our hopes on lampard turning kids into stars next season, which i think is unlikely.  

There is no such thing as a free hit in the premier league, just because we cant sign anyone, it doesnt mean we can afford blood a load of youngsters and finish 10th. Roman will not stand for it,  and anyone who thinks Lampard would survive a season like that, clearly hasnt been watching these last 16 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, big blue said:

I seen a few people bring up the zidane and Guardiola comparisons, but look at the teams they both inherited. Both teams were full of quality, and both teams had some massive leaders in the dressing room. 

Given the circumstances, is it not more likely Lampard could really struggle? 

I would Lampard back one day, but at this moment in time, the job would be tough for the best mamagers in the world. 

Weve lost our best player, we have squad that is between styles, alot of our key players are on the decline, and 2 of the ones that arent are out with serious injury, and we cant sign any players. 

It seems we are pinning our hopes on lampard turning kids into stars next season, which i think is unlikely.  

There is no such thing as a free hit in the premier league, just because we cant sign anyone, it doesnt mean we can afford blood a load of youngsters and finish 10th. Roman will not stand for it,  and anyone who thinks Lampard would survive a season like that, clearly hasnt been watching these last 16 years. 

 

Firstly, i don’t see why you automatically assume ‘blooding a load of youngsters’ will mean finishing 10th..  

 

and also, I agree pep and zidane both inherited top sides  however lamps wouldn’t exactly Be inheriting a mid table side if he were to take over here. 

 

This is a side that has just finished 3rd, got to league cup final, and won the europa league. Yes, we are losing our best player. BUT, we also have a group of young players most sides would dream of having coming through the ranks winning trophies as they come. I hardly think that this is a dire side and we have been in worse positions in the last 16 years imo. 

 

This transfer ban will be a blessing in disguise. 

 

If lamps doesnt want the job id call up Eddie Howe and ask him to pack his bags because he would be An ideal fit for our side at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lampard with Morris for me, simple fact they know the club and it means so much to them, dont particularly care if we have a worse season than this as long as there's some passion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Chelseaggo said:

 

Firstly, i don’t see why you automatically assume ‘blooding a load of youngsters’ will mean finishing 10th..  10th or 5th, dosent really matter, 3rd place has only been good enough on one occasion under roman to warrant a second season.

 

and also, I agree pep and zidane both inherited top sides  however lamps wouldn’t exactly Be inheriting a mid table side if he were to take over here. Without Hazard are we are the 6th best team at best in my opinion. 

 

This is a side that has just finished 3rd, got to league cup final, and won the europa league. Yes, we are losing our best player. BUT, we also have a group of young players most sides would dream of having coming through the ranks winning trophies as they come. I hardly think that this is a dire side and we have been in worse positions in the last 16 years imo. When have we been in a worse position under Roman? 

 

This transfer ban will be a blessing in disguise. I admire your optimism, but the players that will benefit from us not signing players, Abraham, Mount, possibly James, need a season that proves they are better than what we couldve bought, or at least show potential to start for a top 4 side, as CHO has done this season. Its a big jump from the Championship to Champions League.

 

If lamps doesnt want the job id call up Eddie Howe and ask him to pack his bags because he would be An ideal fit for our side at the moment. Eddie Howe has done a good job, but i dont how he is an ideal fit. Inexperienced at big clubs and in europe, question marks over his teams defence (-70 this season), and he has had more misses than hits when spending big in the market. Surely an 'Ideal' fit, would have far less question marks? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever it is absolutely HAS to be given time, and not be shown the door at the first sign of trouble. With Hazard gone, and Pulisic likely to be our only incoming player if the transfer ban is held up, the incoming manager will have to work with players who could very well not suit their style. 19/20 could be a rough season for the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I echo what people have said above, Lampard could do with a bit more experience, but when an opportunity a rises you have to take it, in case it never comes round again, also with Hazard gone and no new signings coming to give us a lift for the new season, the club and us fans need a lift and personally Lamps will bring the feel good factor back for start of season, and yes with Morris be side him will be placed to bring the youth through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, big blue said:

 

In order of your bolder comments :

 

’10th or 5th doesn’t really matter’.... well it does. Obviously europa league brings An opportunity for another European trophy as well as qualification into the champions league should our league season not Be going well... 

 

disagree with your hazard 6th best team comment but each to their own. That being said it isn’t always about the players. Look at the squad fergie won his last title with. 6th best team at best! 

Worst position under Roman... how about 3 years ago when we didn’t win the europa league or finish 3rd we won nothing and finished 10th!?

 

Agree championship to prem / champs league is a big jump but what does that matter? Look at the great English players  Rooney  Owen beckham gerrard lampard terry were all these players loaned out to lower leagues for 5 years before being given a chance?? 

 

And im sorry but I completely disagree with your comment on Eddie Howe  he’s not perfect but who is? How can you say he has inexperience at a big club, how exactly do managers get experience at a big club without being given a chance at one?? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cuppaT said:

The only reason Lampard would be here would be his Chelsea legend status. In what other universe would we consider hiring the losing manager in the Championship Playoff Final......

Good point. Even the winning manager from the Championship play off from the year before, Jokanovic, is an ex Chelsea player, proven record of winning the play offs, Premier league experience. Would we consider him as manager, I doubt it very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Good point. Even the winning manager from the Championship play off from the year before, Jokanovic, is an ex Chelsea player, proven record of winning the play offs, Premier league experience. Would we consider him as manager, I doubt it very much.

To be fair jokanovic was touted for a period to be our manager before sarri. Not that he was ever a popular Chelsea player he was booed often! 

Yes we wouldn’t consider a manager of lampards managerial experience if it wasn’t lampard but that’s the point, what he can bring to the club on all levels not just a years managing experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I think you’re being harsh, he had a very good season at Derby & derby fans are desperate to keep him and Jody from what I’ve seen. His first year in management; he’s lowered the average age of the team by about 3 years, integrated the youth, improved the style of play massively, all the while not letting the results slip either & they’ve just fallen at the last hurdle in the playoff final, in large part to a goalkeeping howler. 

 

Is it too soon? I think so, but it doesn’t take away from the job he’s done this year.

Fair enough I was being too harsh on Lampard, but the point still stands if Lampard was not a former Chelsea player no one here would want him with only 1 year in the championship as managerial experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

Fair enough I was being too harsh on Lampard, but the point still stands if Lampard was not a former Chelsea player no one here would want him with only 1 year in the championship as managerial experience. 

Yes but again it’s not about that year it’s about who he is, how he knows the club, the aura and good vibe that it would create and his assistant for his experience with the youth at this very club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't see it being Allegri, that just screams of lazy journalism.  Find a decent manager out of work, looking for a new job, and link him with one of Englands top clubs, who soon will be managerless.  I don't see it at all.  

Steve Holland, again i dont think it'll happen.  Seems another Paul Clement to me, very good coach, not a manager. I think Holland is the least likely of all

Lampard IMO nailed on. Cech DoF, Lampard Morris and JT main coaching staff - Plan A

ten Hag worth a shot i suppose, similar M.O. as Lampard and Morris in that he uses the academy, but also plays a nice brand of football.  Could see him being a potential option (should Lampard not happen)

Simeone again another lazy link 

Vieira absolutely not. down there with Holland in my predictions

Javi Gracia  would not surprise me if we ended up with him should option A and/or B fail

Nuno Espirito Santo Plan B   Got wolves to 7th, he'd be going up a level both job wise, and his own ability wise if he took on our job, or a similar one.  Would genuinely be my choice after Lampard.

Mourinho love the guy, but no

Edited by RickUK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RickUK said:

I don't see it being Allegri, that just screams of lazy journalism.  Find a decent manager out of work, looking for a new job, and link him with one of Englands top clubs, who soon will be managerless.  I don't see it at all.  

Steve Holland, again i dont think it'll happen.  Seems another Paul Clement to me, very good coach, not a manager. I think Holland is the least likely of all

Lampard IMO nailed on. Cech DoF, Lampard Morris and JT main coaching staff - Plan A

ten Hag worth a shot i suppose, similar M.O. as Lampard and Morris in that he uses the academy, but also plays a nice brand of football.  Could see him being a potential option (should Lampard not happen)

Simeone again another lazy link 

Vieira absolutely not. down there with Holland in my predictions

Javi Gracia  would not surprise me if we ended up with him should option A and/or B fail

Nuno Espirito Santo Plan B   Got wolves to 7th, think he'd be going up a level both job wise, and his own ability wise if he took on our job, or a similar one.  Would genuinely be my choice after Lampard.

Mourinho love the guy, but no

Agree with all of this except JT

He won't touch us as Frank's assistant. He will have multiple job offers in the championship over the next 12 months. Take those. Wait for the Chelsea job to come up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cuppaT said:

The only reason Lampard would be here would be his Chelsea legend status. In what other universe would we consider hiring the losing manager in the Championship Playoff Final......

Yes but you are not taking into account he knows our club backwards, he's worked under all our top managers, he must have learned a lot along the way, if he can find a way to take the best of each manager (and drop the bad parts...mainly Joses) and become a sort of hybrid of them all. Giggsy may have worked for the great Fergy, but it was just one manager, Frank has had the full spectrum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member


×
×
  • Create New...