Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Sindre
1 minute ago, abramovich said:

Interesting. I may be wrong but they didn't go to VAR for Mount's disallowed goal, did they? 

They did. The assistant put her flag up right after it went in and then they checked it.

24 minutes ago, abramovich said:

I thought they did OK for the most part, but the timing of linesmen offside calls was odd, it felt like time and again they waited until the play was over to finally waive the flag. 

Hated that too. 

Apparently in European competition assistant refs are asked to allow the phase of play to continue before flagging offside and then if contentious VAR checks the decision. 

I don't like it because twice we had the ball in the net, I'm celebrating a goal but then it's ruled out instead of given... Way too frustrating as a fan watching that. 

45 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Thought the ref was diabolical. Is there a drive to get Men officiating in Ladies netball?

Suprised the Lino’s weren’t transsexual wheelchair users of colour to be honest

Men already officiate in Netball so there’s no need for a drive, although I’m not sure what this has to do with the refereeing last night, which was actually better than the standard of refereeing we typically see in the PL.

2 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Hated that too. 

Apparently in European competition assistant refs are asked to allow the phase of play to continue before flagging offside and then if contentious VAR checks the decision. 

I don't like it because twice we had the ball in the net, I'm celebrating a goal but then it's ruled out instead of given... Way too frustrating as a fan watching that. 

The same for me, hated that. Going crazy, then seconds later screaming ohh f**k at the tv.

Edited by abramovich

Lampard did everything right yesterday. Learned from what happened at Old Trafford, adjusted and we were the better team over 120 minutes against one of the best sides in Europe.
How anyone can be negative after that performance is baffling to me.

Well we lost although it was a coin toss. I am positive but we need to win and not almost win. Leicester is crucial.

Guest Sindre
7 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Are you sure? I remember them going to VAR for Pulisic's goal in the first half, but not for the Mount's.

I could be wrong but that is the way i remember it. 

20 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Hated that too. 

To be fair you’d be even more annoyed if we stuck the ball in the net and the linesman had already flagged and it turned out we were onside!

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I don't see many similarities with Sarri's system personally. 

The transition of the ball from defence to attack is much faster, more willingness to play on the counter attack. 

More the basics of the style of play.

Lampard was in a similar situation last season at Derby having to be the one laying the foundations and they had many lots of possession but bugger all created type games aswell.

As good as we've looked in pre season and a game and a half so far, Lampard wouldn't have been able to have us looking this good (aesthetically wise) so soon had he took over from Conte.

30 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Interesting. I may be wrong but they didn't go to VAR for Mount's disallowed goal, did they? 

They did. They go to VAR for all incidents. The ref doesn't decide this. 

Genuinely it's not a discussion point. Allow play to continue and check after the event. Makes sense to me. 

In the previous world the lino would have stopped play. But what if the lino was wrong? Play still stopped. 

Only second game of the season, and people already suggesting Lampard is under pressure if we fail to win this weekend. For F* sake, everyone from him to the players know the importance of 3 points this weekend, but if so called 'fans' are losing faith after 2 league games, probably should get off this bandwagon and go follow City. I reckon despite his reputation, Roman has more patience than lots of fans on this forum.

Only second game of the season, and people already suggesting Lampard is under pressure if we fail to win this weekend. For F* sake, everyone from him to the players know the importance of 3 points this weekend, but if so called 'fans' are losing faith after 2 league games, probably should get off this bandwagon and go follow City. I reckon despite his reputation, Roman has more patience than lots of fans on this forum.
The pressure doesn't come from Roman or the board per say. It comes from the players. Frank is a young manager and he has this style. Does it work with us...? This is the thing that raises uncertainty among players. We need to win as a group. Frank himself knows this well enough and is the first man to say it.

2 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Are fans losing faith though? The comments that I have seen have more been observations on how quickly the rot can set in if the first win doesn't come along quickly and how players can often get into a downward spiral confidence wise.

Hahaha anyone who thinks we are not under pressure to win this weekend is deluded, not winning this match firmly puts us under immense pressure especially if we "play good" again without any success. Theres so much good football one can watch without winning an actual match and I know Brendan will want to spoil any home coming party.

4 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Thought the ref was diabolical. Is there a drive to get Men officiating in Ladies netball?

Suprised the Lino’s weren’t transsexual wheelchair users of colour to be honest

I didn’t even notice the officials, the game flowed nicely without lots of stupid cards. The only debatable decision was the penalty that went in our favour. 

Maybe there should be a drive to send cranky old buggers like yourself to be sent back to the Middle Ages? :blush2:

The thing I noticed most last night was the difference between how Lampard used those 3 midfielders and how Sarri used them. Under Sarri, it was much slower and more about passing and possession. With Lampard, it was much quicker, more direct, and the passing range was mixed up. We would see the ball moved out to the wingers quicker, the likes of Jorginho playing more dangerous passes, balls knocked long out wide, the likes of Kante and Kovacic bursting forward quicker. I prefer this way over Sarri's way of doing things. It's more entertaining to watch and actually suits the players we have. I personally don't think the likes of Kovacic, Kante and Barkley are comfortable with that slower build up play we seen under Sarri. I think Loftus-Cheek would be much better under Lampard too, which is exciting because he was already doing pretty well under Sarri.

Reading some other forums and they've all been really impressed with how Frank is having the teamplay, so it's not just us. Even on RedCafe a lot of them admitted they were being outplayed before the 2nd goal finished us off. 

I thought we were brilliant yesterday, the lack of quality at the back is still showing though, but we really should've won that game. No matter, I think Abraham is a good player and this shouldn't finish him off, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have gotten to penalties in the first place. 

I hope he's more clinical than that game showed though, but some parts of him I'm impressed about. Mason Mount is also a lot better than I thought. 

3 hours ago, Sparkz said:

Seeing him bring on the likes of Mount, Tomori and Abraham last night was so refreshing 

To see 3 academy graduates all come on in a Cup Final is a huge change to what we are used to seeing. After all this time, we finally appear to be creating an actual pathway to our first team

I think it has been thrust upon us.

The board should be held accountable for the ban. The illegal trading of young players on a grand scale has happened on their watch and they needed a plan to navigate through this difficult period. They saw the ban coming and front loaded the deal with Pulisic and the option on Kovacic. There were, however, still other problems with a manager who wanted out, the lack of a quality centre forward and Hazard leaving. What type of manager were they going to get with all that going on? New managers these days want big money, new players and are unlikely to use youth players. Frank fits the situation because he loves the club, the fans love Frank and Jody knows the youth players. Its a good fit because of the circumstances but we are using youth players partly because we have to and I question if Tammy would be getting a chance if we had bought a top centre forward. Don't get me wrong I like the idea of youth players getting their shot because overall our youth have been the best out there for years. If they don't get a chance now they probably never would, certainly at Chelsea. They would have been sold or gone out on loan.

So I'm all for embracing the ban and letting the youth have a go. RLC, CHO, Mason Mount, Ampadu and others are fantastic young players. Pulisic is also quality and somewhere along the line I think we will find at least one, if not two, truly world class players amongst them. Its exciting and we really could be opening doors the Bosman ruling closed but lets not think we have created this path. The board cocked up and stumbled upon this.

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

The thing I noticed most last night was the difference between how Lampard used those 3 midfielders and how Sarri used them. Under Sarri, it was much slower and more about passing and possession. With Lampard, it was much quicker, more direct, and the passing range was mixed up. We would see the ball moved out to the wingers quicker, the likes of Jorginho playing more dangerous passes, balls knocked long out wide, the likes of Kante and Kovacic bursting forward quicker. I prefer this way over Sarri's way of doing things. It's more entertaining to watch and actually suits the players we have. I personally don't think the likes of Kovacic, Kante and Barkley are comfortable with that slower build up play we seen under Sarri. I think Loftus-Cheek would be much better under Lampard too, which is exciting because he was already doing pretty well under Sarri.

Jorginho ended the season strongly last season but Kante and Kovavic are definitely much improved this season, I agree that Barkley and RLC will play better in this system too, if there's one thing Lamps knows about its the midfield.

To cover Frank's Achilles Heel, we need to spend a very large  amount of our budget on the defense. Frank will have us scoring and playing destructive football, but he will not be able to setup a great defense. Rudiger will fit very well in Franks defense because he is very quick and has a lot of strength. We will need to pair him with another powerful and speedy defender in the middle though. Our RB has to be upgraded with a pacy and amazing stamina player. Emerson might be able to fit perfectly in this team if he has a strong reliable CB that is pairing with him, that can make up for the bombing forward. Emerson is quick and has great stamina as he proves last night. 

Then our Achilles Heel as a club, that dreadful ST/CF position. I really do believe that this team would work best with a player Drogba-like. A powerful Target Man who also does have speed (unlike Giroud who sadly he is lacking in speed) and sublime finishing abilities. I have no idea who this player could be, any ideas? 

34 minutes ago, Hazard STAY said:

. Frank will have us scoring and playing destructive football, but he will not be able to setup a great defense. 

Why won't he?