Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia added: ‘Mason has come right the way through the Chelsea Academy and has always stood out as a fantastic talent and dedicated individual. We have monitored his development extremely closely while he has been out on loan and believe he is now ready to be a member of our squad competing at the top of the Premier League.

‘Like another of our Academy graduates, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, we are delighted Mason has committed himself to the club this summer and look forward to an exciting future ahead.’

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/07/15/mason-mount-commits-to-chelsea-with-new-contract-signed

So not going out on loan this season then? Wonder if RLC's injury had a part to play in that decision? 

10 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia added: ‘Mason has come right the way through the Chelsea Academy and has always stood out as a fantastic talent and dedicated individual. We have monitored his development extremely closely while he has been out on loan and believe he is now ready to be a member of our squad competing at the top of the Premier League.

‘Like another of our Academy graduates, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, we are delighted Mason has committed himself to the club this summer and look forward to an exciting future ahead.’

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/07/15/mason-mount-commits-to-chelsea-with-new-contract-signed

So not going out on loan this season then? Wonder if RLC's injury had a part to play in that decision? 

I think RLC's injury definitely played a part.  I think this also is a confirmation of sorts that Drinkwater and Bakayoko will be sold, or rather loaned with buy options as we always do it.

I wonder what this means for Barkley's future?

Edited by mwblue10
3 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

I think RLC's injury definitely played a part.  I think this also is a confirmation of sorts that Drinkwater and Bakayoko will be sold, or rather loaned with buy options as we always do it.

I wonder what this means for Barkley's future?

I think it's going to depend on what formation we end up playing under Lampard. 

If we play 4-2-3-1 I could see Drinkwater staying and competing/being cover for the two holding positions along with Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho. 

Barkley will likely play the #10 role behind the striker which is where I assume RLC would play too. Mount will be playing there too but probably in the cup games mostly but might be used as cover for the wide areas as well given CHO's injury. 

59 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I think it's going to depend on what formation we end up playing under Lampard. 

If we play 4-2-3-1 I could see Drinkwater staying and competing/being cover for the two holding positions along with Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho. 

Barkley will likely play the #10 role behind the striker which is where I assume RLC would play too. Mount will be playing there too but probably in the cup games mostly but might be used as cover for the wide areas as well given CHO's injury. 

As I sit here and think about it, I'm leaning towards agreeing with you regarding Drinkwater.

I think it makes sense to go with Kante/Kovacic/Jorginho/RLC/Barkley/Mount and potentially Drinkwater this season considering the ban and injuries.  But with Mount and RLC signing new long term deals, I'm struggling to see where Barkley fits in in the coming years.  I believe Frank said that RLC could play deeper, and perhaps Mount could too, but I think ideally they would play more in the #10 role, which is really the only place that Barkley fits in the 4-2-3-1.  If he sees Ampadu as a CM, then he will obviously play deeper and provide cover there, too, though I would give him a loan.

Like you said though, the main formation that we play will help clarify the plan for each player.

5 minutes ago, JM7 said:

But don’t we need Drinkwater because of our lack of homegrown players?

Technically no, we could just register one less than the maximum.  So for example, in the CL, we could register 17 non-homegrown players and just 7 homegrown for a total of 24, rather than 25.

A huge vote of confidence from the club in a young untested (epl) player. Now it's up to Mount to grasp the chance and repay the faith. I hope he doesn't try to just settle in and not make mistakes, we already have a few midfielders who are good at hiding in the middle of the park, we need someone to step up and be creative in midfield, fingers crossed he puts everything into it and succeeds.

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

I don`t see him being like that coco, hopefully. I watched his first Derby game and he immediately took control of the game and was attempting difficult incisive passes rather than keeping it simple, I just don`t think its in his game to be in the background just ticking away.

I'm sure your'e right mate, but i just can't help worrying about him and Frank, not because i dont rate them, I'm expecting us to be top 6-8 this season, and that's genuine, it won't bother me one iota if we finish the season 8th. But it's Roman who has to be happy.

I really like Mount, if he wasnt our player, he wouldve ended up at Ajax last year, after that season holland, and after the run they had in the champions league last year his value wouldve been astronomical. 

Im confident he will make it to the very top of the game, he seems to have all the technical attributes, but also he is an intelligent player, with a fantastic work ethic.

Great news, excited to see a few of these bots that have been here since they were kids, go on to be big players for us.

On 16/07/2019 at 13:32, Munkworth said:

Willian will still be on set pieces, I’d bet my house on that. 

Please don’t, another season watching corner after corner be easily headed clear by the first man would be unbearable. Hopefully he won’t be on the park much when CHO & Pulisic are fit.

10 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Please don’t, another season watching corner after corner be easily headed clear by the first man would be unbearable. Hopefully he won’t be on the park much when CHO & Pulisic are fit.

As much as Willian is not the best corner taker ever seen, corners have always been 95% about who's in the box as opposed to who's taking them, Willian was also a corner taker back in 13-16 when we were getting a lot of joy because JT, Ivan and Cahill were in there causing havoc.

That's why I was an advocate of the short corners that became a regular feature in our play under Conte, because with our current lack of height and gusto in the team we could have Beckham and De Bruyne taking our corners and most still won't go anywhere when put into the box.