Jump to content

Timo Werner


Jezz
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Jangz said:

Dont think so.. he will score and score buckets in the right set-up.. maybe a team like Utd that plays counter attacking is better suited.. but he has pace and movement that will make sure he will create opportunities. 

But he was in the right set up last season, he had loads of excellent chances that he completely ballsed up. I hate using stats, but according to this site he missed 18 big chances (whatever they are). If we take that with a pinch of salt and just go on memory of the games then its still a hell of a lot of very good chances he blew. 

https://www.premierleague.com/players/23599/Timo-Werner/stats

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9520239/Chelsea-53-man-Timo-Werner-missed-staggering-TWENTY-THREE-big-chances-season.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

I said earlier in this thread that Werner is finished as a top-tier goal threat. I stand by that, and if a decent bid comes in in January we should get rid.

Thankfully we have a very capable manager who disagrees with you, i think he knows best, or do you think you know better than Tuchel ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm crossing fingers that the whole Lukakucomeback will help him (and Havertz too)  a lot - should lift a lot of focus and pressure from both media/fans and also defenders on the pitch to the big guy. If Lukaku really is the leader that I think he is our whole strikeforce should profit more than just from the goals he'll score. That's imho one of the biggest advantages Lukaku has over Haaland: he knows the PL inside out and is old and experienced enough + has the right character to lead and help/advise those young players. Even without scoring sufficently Timo already helps the team and is involved enough to still make it as a starter so if he gains back a bit of confidence and loses some of the pressure because of Lukaku I still think he will do much better in front of the goal.

But that's not to say that if a good opportunity arises he won't transfer out next season.

Edited by weetee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, dkw said:

But he was in the right set up last season, he had loads of excellent chances that he completely ballsed up. I hate using stats, but according to this site he missed 18 big chances (whatever they are). If we take that with a pinch of salt and just go on memory of the games then its still a hell of a lot of very good chances he blew. 

https://www.premierleague.com/players/23599/Timo-Werner/stats

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9520239/Chelsea-53-man-Timo-Werner-missed-staggering-TWENTY-THREE-big-chances-season.html

Is our system play to timo strength? No

Does Timo play his best role? Hell yeah, timo can on play one role. If you try him in any other role,you may as well play with 10 man. What is that role? Forward/st/highest man, running behind, when you play as the highest man, most of the time you will get the most chances in the team. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

I said earlier in this thread that Werner is finished as a top-tier goal threat. I stand by that, and if a decent bid comes in in January we should get rid.

I disagree with selling Werner since he is still very important for this team. My biggest problem last year with Timo was his minute. He was undroppable both for Lamp and Tuchel. That make 0 sense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Timo best scoring figures have been alongside a ‘big’ striker. Hopefully we will see better figures from him this season. He will though still miss quite a few chances, his technical skills have limitations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


39 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

I disagree with selling Werner since he is still very important for this team. My biggest problem last year with Timo was his minute. He was undroppable both for Lamp and Tuchel. That make 0 sense

That is because he offers a lot to the team in terms of pressing and stretching defences to create chances for others .. I know he didn't score enough but he had the most assists of the team by a country mile and hence most goal involvements.

I see Timo scoring more goals and assisting even more this season with Lukaku drawing defenders and creating space for him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

A brilliant example of what a lovely humble bloke he is....

Imagine Tammy in the same circs. By the time he would have taken off his shirt and posed for a few muscle flexing selfies, that pooch would have been long gone.

 

Why the Tammy bashing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

when is the last time he missed a clear cut chance?

Fair. It’s been a while but can go back and dig some up if really needed. He’s not even picking up those as often spaces now. 
Im still hopeful he comes good and value what he brings every game. Just concerned he is in a serious rut and the summer did nothing to help. Give it more time - goals change everything, but signs are more Torres like to me right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

That is because he offers a lot to the team in terms of pressing and stretching defences to create chances for others .. I know he didn't score enough but he had the most assists of the team by a country mile and hence most goal involvements.

I see Timo scoring more goals and assisting even more this season with Lukaku drawing defenders and creating space for him

He also played more minute than any of our attacker by a country mile. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


It is strange that Werner has this image of a star. If he is that good, there is little reason for us to spend 100 m for a striker. 

Werner is clearly considered to be rotational player which is the perfect role for him. Play him against highline opp otherwise bench him. 

 

 

Edited by Bob stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

He also played more minute than any of our attacker by a country mile. 

Obviously he did because he was our most productive attacker. Besides he didn't play more minutes than Mason Mount but had a lot more assists. I get that Werners goal numbers were low and he missed a lot of chances but there is a reason why Chelsea fans sing his name whenever he plays for us and that is because they see the amount of work he puts in for the team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

Obviously he did because he was our most productive attacker. Besides he didn't play more minutes than Mason Mount but had a lot more assists. I get that Werners goal numbers were low and he missed a lot of chances but there is a reason why Chelsea fans sing his name whenever he plays for us and that is because they see the amount of work he puts in for the team

Exactly. Although cringeworthy: his phantom-pass during the Palace game will be picked up in the future by Romelu. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, coco said:

Thankfully we have a very capable manager who disagrees with you, i think he knows best, or do you think you know better than Tuchel ?

He might well know best, but that's irrelevant to whether people express opinion on an internet forum, don't you think?

Given that Tuchel had few other options last season, and that he's now purchased a £100m striker, I suspect he also agrees that Werner is never going to be a reliable goalscorer. Tuchel and the board wanted Haaland, Lukaku, Lautaro Martinez, even Danny Ings...basically, someone, anyone that isn't Timo Werner or Tammy Abraham.

When I was growing up, Jesper Gronkjaer was my favourite player. Watching a player with extreme pace and the occasional decent cross brings back happy childhood memories. While i'm grateful that Chelsea paid €53m to indulge my childhood nostalgia, Werner was signed to be a goal threat, and he falls way short of the mark.

Edited by SydneyChelsea
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have high hopes that Werner will do much better now with Lukaku but if he doesn't I'm not worried because the natural position for Pulisic is on the left side and also that's where Mount plays the best as well so that's the one position where we have a lot of depth... Put Alonso there if everyone else fail LOL

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


36 minutes ago, SydneyChelsea said:

He might well know best, but that's irrelevant to whether people express opinion on an internet forum, don't you think?

Given that Tuchel had few other options last season, and that he's now purchased a £100m striker, I suspect he also agrees that Werner is never going to be a reliable goalscorer. Tuchel and the board wanted Haaland, Lukaku, Lautaro Martinez, even Danny Ings...basically, someone, anyone that isn't Timo Werner or Tammy Abraham.

Your opinion is to get rid of a player who has played just one game in front of a full stamford bridge, after an extraordinary season where he left his country, moved to England and played a season with no fans and, like everyone else at the club, struggled to score goals.

The club didn't go after all those strikers, you been reading too much transfer waffle, and even if they did so what, we just got rid of two strikers (you forgot to mention Giroud), thats why we were after a top center forward, not because Timo isnt scoring. Lets say Timo did bang in 20 goals, do you really think we would sell Giroud and Tammy and not go after a top striker ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Obviously he did because he was our most productive attacker. Besides he didn't play more minutes than Mason Mount but had a lot more assists. I get that Werners goal numbers were low and he missed a lot of chances but there is a reason why Chelsea fans sing his name whenever he plays for us and that is because they see the amount of work he puts in for the team

Productive? 

In pl He scored the same amount goals as tammy while playing double the minutes. 

It is absolutely bizarre that player whose role is to get number has this little production and being touted as productive. 

If he play in Willian role or pedro where he has to chase fb, it is a good number but he didn't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, coco said:

Your opinion is to get rid of a player who has played just one game in front of a full stamford bridge, after an extraordinary season where he left his country, moved to England and played a season with no fans and, like everyone else at the club, struggled to score goals.

The club didn't go after all those strikers, you been reading too much transfer waffle, and even if they did so what, we just got rid of two strikers (you forgot to mention Giroud), thats why we were after a top center forward, not because Timo isnt scoring. Lets say Timo did bang in 20 goals, do you really think we would sell Giroud and Tammy and not go after a top striker ? 

I agree, we were going to sign a new striker regardless of anything simply because Giroud and Tammy were leaving.

As soon as Timo stops missing easy chances he's going to redeem himself and with Lukaku it's very possible that we get 2 consistent goal-scorers rather than just 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, coco said:

Your opinion is to get rid of a player who has played just one game in front of a full stamford bridge, after an extraordinary season where he left his country, moved to England and played a season with no fans and, like everyone else at the club, struggled to score goals.

I love the guy dearly and want him to succeed as much as anyone else does. Unlike Torres or Morata or even Diego Costa, Werner has never once checked himself out and let the world pass him by. His attitude and his contribution to our team has been wonderful to see.

I'm also a realist and think he's mentally busted and technically deficient at this level and will never, ever be the goalscorer we bought him to be.

Quote

The club didn't go after all those strikers, you been reading too much transfer waffle, and even if they did so what, we just got rid of two strikers (you forgot to mention Giroud), thats why we were after a top center forward, not because Timo isnt scoring. Lets say Timo did bang in 20 goals, do you really think we would sell Giroud and Tammy and not go after a top striker ? 

You are absolutely right in that we needed to buy a striker because we let two go. 

You are absolutely stretching the truth if you think that was the main reason we bought a £100m striker though. The main reason was that our top goalscorer, with all of 7 goals, was a deep-lying regista who wouldn't beat @just in a foot race (with a headstart).

Had Timo, in some sort of Down Under upside-down fantasy land, scored 20 goals, we would be looking at a backup striker or a young prospect to replace our departures, not Lukaku.

Timo's had his chances. 80 chances (31 on target) to be precise, with a an xG of 13.41. It means his 80 shots were taken in positions where the bog-average EPL player would have been expected to score 13 goals. Timo managed just 6.

Love the guy, desperately hope he succeeds, won't hold my breath and think we should get rid ASAP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Productive? 

In pl He scored the same amount goals as tammy while playing double the minutes. 

It is absolutely bizarre that player whose role is to get number has this little production and being touted as productive. 

If he play in Willian role or pedro where he has to chase fb, it is a good number but he didn't. 

Productive means goals and assist. He had the most goal involvements of any player in our squad  hence me saying he was the most productive. 

He also had more goal involvements than Drogba and Eden Hazard had In their first season. We all know how hard it is for foreign players in their first year in England due to the intensity of the league.

Why don't u be a fan and support your player. He has only had one season and u are ready to throw him under the bus. 

It's funny how Havertz had a below par season by his goal involvements but is given a pass because he scored the winning goal in the UCL Final.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!