Timo Werner

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

10 hours ago, weetee said:

Yesterdays match just wasn't for him. No spaces to run into - heavily doubt he's just forgotten. Too bad Pulisic wasn't available, he'd been a good starter player against those 1000 legs / m2.

I think he could have done a job in putting them under pressure high up the pitch, not allowing them to waste time passing it among themself in their defence and maybe force some mistakes if they tried. Ziyech just stood there watching them and couldn't be bothered to press. Werner is also alot better to drag defenders with him and create space for others, because he is constantly moving. It was far to static in our attack at times yesterday, almost no movement off the ball.

I'm not worried he'll get game time, anyone who doesn't have an agenda against Timo knows he's a top quality player.

Forget goals for a minute his all around game is world class. Devastating player on the counter, he can provide goals or more recently elite level assists. He's a hardworking forward in and out of possession that's an important distinction. 

I think Timo suffers because the team is winning without him at the moment and as others have mentioned some games may have not suited him like last night. Again as its been posted on here when he gets his chance he needs to grasp it otherwise he may be waiting a while for his next chance.

Considering teams like Dortmund, Bayern and Real still get regularly linked with him just shows he is valued highly by top teams and coaches. I think in almost every team in the world he would start bar a handful and even some of those could be debatable.

1 hour ago, LongtimerLurker said:

He's thinking too much when it comes to shooting whereas when it comes to passing he's using his instinct. I don't know when but, it will come back. For example Lukaku layer it off perfectly for him and an in form confident Werner striker that 1st time into the corner. Current Timo takes a touch and the chance is gone.

Did you ever see Robert Fleck? The Scottish Werner.

Not sure what to make of Timo.  He has to do better on his chances - two great ones today.  One stuck under his feet, the other barely a toe poke.  That said, there is no better player at getting in these positions.  His off the ball movement is world class; just need more on the ball.  Superb assist.  I'd like to see him given a run in the team over Mount.

Come on Werner.. you are better than this! .. For some of his chances i think he needs to make better decisions.. he needed to lift it up over Loris for the second one - .. and let it come across his body to the left for second.. 

If he sorts his finishing he can truly score bucket loads.. but there are a lot of ifs about him. 

14 hours ago, Deino said:

It's like the universe took away his scoring and replaced it with vision for assisting.

That assist to Rudiger is a classic RW low inswinger that is more difficult than it looked

Can you have a substitute player warm up behind the opposing goal for 90 minutes or is that considering gamesmanship tactics of interference with the opposing goalkeeper? I say we just tell him that he should "pass" the ball to that teammate and suddenly they all end up in goal. 🤣 

A lot of the big center backs love playing against forwards like Lukaku, a conventional striker. Timo is the kind of player they hate to play against, he vacates the space between the wing and Lukaku, the inside forward position, close enough to tempt center backs to leave their position to challenge him.

When they are both playing it becomes a huge problem for defenders.

4 hours ago, Jangz said:

Come on Werner.. you are better than this! .. For some of his chances i think he needs to make better decisions.. he needed to lift it up over Loris for the second one - .. and let it come across his body to the left for second.. 

If he sorts his finishing he can truly score bucket loads.. but there are a lot of ifs about him. 

Actually the most frustrating thing about him is that is his only 'if'. 

If he sorts out his finishing, he's world class. That's it! He doesn't get injured, he has endless work rate, seems liked by the team, can pass, tackle, positioning is great. 

Just...finishing. 

6 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

If he sorts out his finishing, he's world class. That's it! He doesn't get injured, he has endless work rate, seems liked by the team, can pass, tackle, positioning is great. 

Just...finishing. 

Just like:

If Kova could score

If Alonso could run faster

Individually this Chelsea team are filled with players on the cusp of being worldbeaters. 

1 hour ago, Deino said:

Just like:

If Kova could score

If Alonso could run faster

Individually this Chelsea team are filled with players on the cusp of being worldbeaters. 

hmm i think why people talk more about werner in that sentiment is because he has done it in the past - scoring 20+ goals. so he knows where the goal is and how to finish.. he even started like a house on fire for us.. 

Kova on the other hand has never been prolific and Alonso could never run.

I expect him to get more minutes as the campaign goes on. As we saw yesterday now that the squad is even more complete than last season we will see more variations like all 3 of our main midfielders on at the same time and in our front two case our only recognised strikers on at the same time.

Tuchel knows what he's doing we just have to be patient and we will see more Timo. Getting an assist won't have done his cause any harm, it would help if he scored but, we can see he gets into very good positions. Surely with the added confidence of the team especially Lukaku trusting him and trying to help him score I think we see a more clinical Timo this season.

2 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Just...finishing. 

Not finishing, his biggest problem is his touch. 

3 hours ago, coco said:

A lot of the big center backs love playing against forwards like Lukaku, a conventional striker. Timo is the kind of player they hate to play against, he vacates the space between the wing and Lukaku, the inside forward position, close enough to tempt center backs to leave their position to challenge him.

When they are both playing it becomes a huge problem for defenders.

Nope, cb doesn't care if st drift wide. It is not their problem anymore. In fact one of the reason why Werner can't play as cf is the fact that he kept drifting wide

Edited by Bob stark

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

Nope, cb doesn't care if st drift wide. It is not their problem anymore. In fact one of the reason why Werner can't play as cf is the fact that he kept drifting wide

What were you watching last season ? Werner was always pulling center backs from central positions all last season, it's why he ended up with so many assists with players running into the spaces left by the wandering defenders, most notably when Varane went after him against RM in the semi final and ended up on the goal line out of position, and left a huge hole for Pulisic to run into and score. He also made a vital run for the goal in the final and left a huge space for Mount to thread the ball through for Kai to score.. Don't tell me you forgot already ?

5 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Just...finishing. 

Sit him in a dark room with a video of all Jimmy Greaves' goals.

55 minutes ago, coco said:

What were you watching last season ? Werner was always pulling center backs from central positions all last season, it's why he ended up with so many assists with players running into the spaces left by the wandering defenders, most notably when Varane went after him against RM in the semi final and ended up on the goal line out of position, and left a huge hole for Pulisic to run into and score. He also made a vital run for the goal in the final and left a huge space for Mount to thread the ball through for Kai to score.. Don't tell me you forgot already ?

There is difference between drifting wide and making run wide from central position and your example are exactly the type of games that Werner excel at, Madrid games, city games. He could make those run because there are lots2 of space everywhere. Now attacking the wide area cause cb problems because you force them to cover this area because nobodies there. 

That was exactly the story last year, when we played the like of pool, city and rm, he was great then we played team that want to sit and give you little space we are back to he worked hard. 

Spurs game was the same. Tuchel brought him at a very good time, spurs was chasing hence they have to open up which lead to us having tons of space.

You are right saying that some defender prefer to play against the like of Lukaku than the like of Werner.