Timo Werner

Jezz

On 06/09/2021 at 18:53, BluesPower said:

Nifty little back heel assist.  Hope Flick can convince his compatriot TT to trust him as well.

I don't know how often it needs to be said, but international football is (and has been for the last decade) a giant step below the English Premier League or any other top-tier domestic competition. 

I truly hope his recent goalscoring gives him a burst of confidence in front of goal that he desperately needs but reading too much into 3 goals in international football is like reading into a hattrick against Shrewsbury.

Werner's body language still remains one of hope rather than intention. I don't think that's ever going to change.

2 hours ago, Oli said:

Was going to come on here saying 3 goals in 3 games, but did anyone see his miss today. I honestly think it has undone all the confidence he built up. It was an open goal, right in the centre, 3 yards out, noone near him.

Im not suprised Havertz shielded that ball for it to be his goal. He couldnt even celebrate, he seemed broken after that earlier miss.

Poor Timo. Even when he catches a break he still cannot catch a break.

That’s quite the miss for Germany. Good he got his goal, and overall a good international period. He keeps getting in all the fight positions, but his finishing!

Noted above, but his body language anytime he does score concerns me. He keeps trying, but always seems sheepish or embarrassed when scoring. Own it Timo! 

6 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Poor Timo. Even when he catches a break he still cannot catch a break.

Always on the run.

He actually missed two sitters yesterday - the second was just meme-worthy. At least he got his goal (but VAR couldn‘t believe it and still checked to be sure). Poor guy. Havertz missed an easy one as well..I hope it‘s not contagious 

It looks like there are a lot of Werner fans here. 

If you want to see that 50m st, there are a few things that need to happen. He need to play with another st, he need to be in a team that play fast and direct. Then you will see that terror st who will constantly make behind run that is very difficult to stop. 

Timo is similar to Jorginho and Alonso. It is quite specific of what they bring to the table and their weaknesses is quite glaring. If you put them in perfect situation, they can be an excellent contributor, but if you ask them to play different role you will have a clear weak spot in your team. 

1 hour ago, ross91690 said:

Stick him at centre back and tell him to try to score on Mendy. We'll concede loads of corners, but so be it. 

This is some next level Total Football stuff

1 hour ago, Deino said:

I've said it before but he's one of the best at being a decoy striker. The space he creates for the team is just mint

I found it odd that it took Tuchel so much time to put him in, specially since Havertz was havnig a quiet game.

Edited by Gol15

5 hours ago, Gol15 said:

I found it odd that it took Tuchel so much time to put him in, specially since Havertz was havnig a quiet game.

That is a nice way to put it. Ziyech and Havertz were awful. Awful passing, awful movement, starved Lukaku of any service.

Only Saul's display saved them and CHO from being looked at in a dimmer light.

6 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Much better option than Ziyech for me. Hope he starts against Zenit.

One's a striker that pushes defences further upfield while another is a playmaker that draws defences infield, totally different roles 

54 minutes ago, Deino said:

One's a striker that pushes defences further upfield while another is a playmaker that draws defences infield, totally different roles 

Sure, but they are still competing for the same position. As of now Lukaku and Mount are shoe ins whereas Havertz, Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech are fighting for the third spot. They are all different players with different qualities, but they are all aiming to convince TT that their qualities are the ones that enrich the team the most in that spot besides Lukaku and Mount.

Call me crazy, but this team is missing what Werner brings to the table. His workrate offensively to occupy defenders, to drag players all over the pitch, to wear defenders down, to create imbalances in the opposing defense, the threat of his pace and his surprisingly solid assist contributions. Most importantly though I feel the whole team defends better as a unit with him relentless pressing from the front. Maybe my memory is just bad, but I don´t seem to remember the team giving up so many goal scoring opportunities last season. In a way he is Chelsea´s Firmino. Also he has always functioned best as a secondary striker, so I´m really surprised Tuchel´s hasn´t tried playing him with Lukaku. Especially with the injury to Pulisic as I just do not see what Ziyech does better than Werner.

It seems Werner's stock is rising very high now that he's out of the team.  People are forgetting how we toiled to score goals last season when he was in the team, not helped by his numerous misses. He will get some games but until he improves his finishing, he will find himself on the bench more often than not. 

That‘s the thing though, we and especially he were/was utterly wasteful yet we created ton of chances in the first place. I don‘t think it‘s time already to have an idea where we‘re going this season but lately we can be glad we kinda get goals out of nothing since we aren‘t really creating all that much.

I also agree with some other poster who wrote that out defensive game looks much better with Werner on board too. There will obviously a lot of rotation for at least 2/3 spots up front but I‘d be quite surprised if Werner isn‘t really considered as a starter.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

It seems Werner's stock is rising very high now that he's out of the team.  People are forgetting how we toiled to score goals last season when he was in the team, not helped by his numerous misses. He will get some games but until he improves his finishing, he will find himself on the bench more often than not. 

Was he top for assists though? He might not have been banging them in as expected but he was laying them on a plate for every other c**t!