Timo Werner

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Tuchel probably needs to put him on soe sort of training regime that forces him to shoot under pressure.

His touch under pressure is abysmal. He panics in the critical moment. 

If you look at clips of the training, his shooting is quite amazing, precise and powerful. In the game though it has the power of a weak schoolgirl 

7 hours ago, Jangz said:

hmm i think why people talk more about werner in that sentiment is because he has done it in the past - scoring 20+ goals. so he knows where the goal is and how to finish.. he even started like a house on fire for us.. 

Kova on the other hand has never been prolific and Alonso could never run.

My point was our players are always short on reaching that best in the world status. I get that you can say that about a lot of players but anyone who watch us consistently will definitely see that most of our players are 1 step short of being the best in that position. It's quite a feat tbh to gather that much talent. 

But on the other hand, people who don't watch us consistently won't give our players that credit and will call them average etc. You put Kane in our team and even he won't look like a superstar because of how minimal the difference is. 

The season just started for Werner, he wasn't getting involved that much before the Spurs game so I'll just wait a bit and see how it goes.

If things continue to develop as they have been doing in the last few games, I predict Werner to get into the starting lineup and to play with Lukaku pretty soon because other attackers aren't getting much done right now and Pulisic is injured again so in my mind we will end up looking more dangerous with Werner in the starting lineup if Mount and Havertz continue to not get things done.

2 hours ago, timetowaste said:

Unpopular opinion but Timo offers us so much more than Mount does, I’d be starting him with Lukaku and Kai as our first choice front 3.

Much has been written about how Werner offers us this and that, but it's easier to look good when you're coming on for ten minutes against a side desparately chasing a game. Analysis is useless if we don't account for game state. 

Werner's speed makes him a useful tactical chess piece to close out a game when the opposition needs to leave space at the back but his form and skill set make him almost useless against teams that make him play in front of the defence. We saw that repeatedly last season under both Lampard and Tuchel, unfortunately.

Starting Werner is not going to improve things against teams that already remain compact and deep in defence. If Havertz and Mount can't run or pass through them, there is little chance Werner would. Werner is currently not even a goal threat towards an open goal, let alone one with a goalkeeper or defenders to beat.

6 hours ago, Deino said:

Tuchel probably needs to put him on soe sort of training regime that forces him to shoot under pressure.

His touch under pressure is abysmal. He panics in the critical moment. 

If you look at clips of the training, his shooting is quite amazing, precise and powerful. In the game though it has the power of a weak schoolgirl 

Werner thrived in the Bundesliga with ample time and space to set himself, playing himself into a level where he appeared to be an instinctive finisher. But that Werner is gone, and will never return at Chelsea. There is no precedent in the history of football that says it will.

There is too much pressure and too much overthinking on Werner's part. The top tier athletes operate in a 'flow' state of mind where intentions and actions are so well-coordinated that they appear to be unconscious and instinctive to outside observers. Once disrupted it is exceptionally difficult to regain. Reaching flow states requires practice to the point unconscious competence and in most professional training programs at the top level, there just isn't the time for a top-level player to actually engage in a quality therapy program. It would essentially mean a player re-learning aspects of the game.

It's often possible to get good results by getting a 'fresh start' elsewhere, especially when there are extenuating circumstances such as settling in or managerial change. It's exceptionally hard to do in the exact same environment, however, and from a practical perspective impossible at the top-level.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Maybe we would all be happier with Timo if we expect basically every chance to be missed and when the occasion quality ball goes in or he scores one we are quite impressed. Say think of him like out new Jesper Gronkjaer.

I am happy with Werner contributions. It's just a lot of people see Werner as this star goal getter rather than a very good option against high line defense

As with CHO, Werner's stock rises when he's not getting much playing time.

Can't write him off just yet, but we can't afford to wait forever for him to stop making such a hash of things when in good positions

For me, he's the most frustrating player we've had since Gronkjear.

9 hours ago, bisright1 said:

How dare you

He did score "that goal" so I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for Gronkjear, but boy, he was wildly erratic!  Some great natural gifts, but too often a case of his feet being too quick for his football brain.

3 hours ago, wally said:

He did score "that goal" so I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for Gronkjear, but boy, he was wildly erratic!  Some great natural gifts, but too often a case of his feet being too quick for his football brain.

My lasting memory of Gronkjaer was the regularity with which that specific play ended up in Row Z, but also the ease with which he beat defenders of all sorts to get the shot off.

I was and still am a massive fan but watching Duff, Robben and even Joe Cole a few short years later made me realise what a genuine winger would have brought to the table.

It really speaks volumes about his current confidence level, that after being the first choice penalty taker for Leipzig and for a while even here, he doesn't even take a penalty in the shoot out. 

Well, I'm happy he got going for the season in a blue shirt. Lukaku could be really good for him. Gives him a reference point he can play around and takes the pressure of him to be the team's main goal scorer. I thought there were some encouraging "nearly moments" between the two today in their 15 minutes together.

11 minutes ago, True Blue23 said:

It really speaks volumes about his current confidence level, that after being the first choice penalty taker for Leipzig and for a while even here, he doesn't even take a penalty in the shoot out. 

Well, I'm happy he got going for the season in a blue shirt. Lukaku could be really good for him. Gives him a reference point he can play around and takes the pressure of him to be the team's main goal scorer. I thought there were some encouraging "nearly moments" between the two today in their 15 minutes together.

Went down late with cramp, I think that has more bearing on him not taking a spot kick. 

6 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Decent performance from Werner last night. Think he should start against City on merit. 

Tuchel increasingly looks like he's setting us up closer to playing with a front 2 and there's potential for a good partnership with Lukaku. 

We have always played with front 2. Havertz has always played more like a forward 

13 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

We have always played with front 2. Havertz has always played more like a forward 

This season the most advanced 2 are playing noticeably more narrow than last season. 

The 3rd attacker who used to play either side of the centre forward is now playing closer closer to the midfiled as well.