Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 17/09/2020 at 19:00, General said:

Its done so where is the bloke ? Villa got the gooner's back up keeper who played vs us in FA Cup final 'Martinez' for 17 mill quid yesterday, in his brief cameo in project restart he looked miles better than the twit we have in goal, you have to ask yourself why the most important piece of the puzzle has been left until last, I know SFL has to publicly back the fool but for us lot its frustrating, knowing that we have signed top outfield players yet facing the champions with no good keeper options, I said it before & I'll say it again typical Chelsea under RA (not bemoaning Roman so chill) do so many good things for the team then F it up with action or inaction (like appointing uncle fester as manager all those seasons ago). 

Was on a break in Yorkshire Dales last week so completely missed Martinez going to Villa and first I realized was last night when I saw he saved a penalty for them and kept a clean sheet!

Gutted to be honest. No disrespect to Mendy (who I don't know much about other than the great set of teeth) but surely we could have got Martinez so he was already in place for first few crunch matches of the season? All the players we have let the Gooners have - they f**king owe us!!

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

Was on a break in Yorkshire Dales last week so completely missed Martinez going to Villa and first I realized was last night when I saw he saved a penalty for them and kept a clean sheet!

Gutted to be honest. No disrespect to Mendy (who I don't know much about other than the great set of teeth) but surely we could have got Martinez so he was already in place for first few crunch matches of the season? All the players we have let the Gooners have - they f**king owe us!!

I think we need to chill out on the Martinez hype, he did well but when all said and done he's had 2 months of great form and before that was shoved from pillar to post on loan.

For perspective we all thought Morata and Bakayoko were masterstrokes for the first 2 months. 

56 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Anyone know whether he's actually any good? From the brief bit of background reading I've done all I've managed to find out is that he's apparently really good at claiming crosses.

Thats a massive improvement already.

9 hours ago, Argo said:

I think we need to chill out on the Martinez hype, he did well but when all said and done he's had 2 months of great form and before that was shoved from pillar to post on loan.

For perspective we all thought Morata and Bakayoko were masterstrokes for the first 2 months. 

The Martinez thing is so weird, hes basically spent his entire career at lower league clubs, had 2 months where he looked decent for Arsenal and suddenly hes the new Lev Yashin...

2012–2020 Arsenal 15 (0)
2012  Oxford United (loan) 1 (0)
2013–2014  Sheffield Wednesday (loan) 11 (0)
2015  Rotherham United (loan) 8 (0)
2015–2016  Wolverhampton Wanderers (loan) 13 (0)
2017–2018  Getafe (loan) 5 (0)
2019  Reading (loan) 18 (0)
2020– Aston Villa

11 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Anyone know whether he's actually any good? From the brief bit of background reading I've done all I've managed to find out is that he's apparently really good at claiming crosses.

He's like 6'5" (about 195 cm for you metric users) so he better be good at claiming crosses.

As far as I can tell I would say he is probably about an average starter for a top flight league.  

Biggest knock on him that I saw is that he doesn't help you out much in the attack by delivering accurate passes.   So probably not a guy who can jump start a counter attack by booting it to a player near mid-field in space.  Rather probably someone who's going to have to play the ball to one of the backs nearby.