Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

4 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Sometimes it's just like that, a keeper tries to predict that one side and it happens exactly when he changes it, it probably didn't help Mendy that Kane was their last taker.

Let's also cut him some slack on this as he has virtually just got off the plane. I doubt very much whnether he has been studying the penalty taking patterns of Lamela or Moura. I am not totally convinced he would have even known what the Carabao Cup was.

32 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Let's also cut him some slack on this as he has virtually just got off the plane. I doubt very much whnether he has been studying the penalty taking patterns of Lamela or Moura. I am not totally convinced he would have even known what the Carabao Cup was.

A lot of supporters don't even know what the Carabao Cup is:biggrin: I for one persist in callung it the League Cup.

Anyhow, good warming up match for Mendy. I couldn't watch it, so I can only go on the comments here. Despite the real result (minus the penalties I mean), he may give our defense the boost it needs. Wonder whether he'll get a start this weekend!

There was a moment early on where he was shouting at the ref because he got blocked off coming out for a cross. I think, as he progresses, he'll either start winning free kicks here or just clearing players out. Either way, it's a positive. 

If the defence know he's coming for those balls, they'll be in a better position to win any loose second balls. Too often we see Kepa glued to his line when a cross comes in deep, we then half clear it and have one defender completely out of position and playing everyone onside.

12 hours ago, Gol15 said:

It's not that easy to save a penalty, it's mostly on the player that is shooting most of the time and 4 out of 5 of Spuds penalties were simply taken in a great manner, Kepa is better at saving penalties but I still wouldn't want him to come on anyway...

You can't have it both ways by saying that nobody should bother Mount that he missed his penalty but then also saying that Mendy looked like he never attempted to save one in his life as if he should have saved more than one of them by default...

I'm not blaming him though am I? I said he had a good game. We all know saving penalties there's a lot of guess work going on, keepers guess which position dive in, but the way Mendy was doing it was bizarre. That's why I said it looked like he hasn't even practiced to save one before, his technique got him nowhere. 

A bit of criticism, not the end of the world is it. 

5 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Very different goalkeeping style to Kepa that's evident after just one game. 

Looked to come off his line to claim crosses and corners more often than not. Kepa very much likes to defend the goal line. 

Mendy could be prone to letting in goals that look bad because he doesn't claim a cross but I think his more proactive style could see us break away on counter attacks more often. 

When watching his highlights (the bad ones aswell) it looks like he is overly ambitious in coming off his line and at times that's lead to a goal from over extending himself. But I would much rather that, than a keeper who's afraid of even coming out of his 6 yard box. 

14 minutes ago, Slojo said:

When watching his highlights (the bad ones aswell) it looks like he is overly ambitious in coming off his line and at times that's lead to a goal from over extending himself. But I would much rather that, than a keeper who's afraid of even coming out of his 6 yard box. 

I prefer our keepers to dominate the 6yd box, not just sit their waiting on the goal line. It's like having an extra center back who's allowed to use his hands, sure it can sometimes make the keeper look a fool, but mainly it sends out the message 'this is my box'.

2 minutes ago, coco said:

I prefer our keepers to dominate the 6yd box, not just sit their waiting on the goal line. It's like having an extra center back who's allowed to use his hands, sure it can sometimes make the keeper look a fool, but mainly it sends out the message 'this is my box'.

I've just realised I was rather complementary of Kepa by assuming he comes out in his 6 yard box, we're lucky if he moves off his goal line. 

24 minutes ago, JM7 said:

To be fair to Mendy and Lloris, all the penalties were excellent and neither keeper got close to them. 

But Lloris did, he came close to Jorgi's and would have likely saved (or got extremely close to saving) Mount's had it been on target.

I don't want to be too critical as I really liked what I saw from him in normal time but he needs to improve on penalties. I don't expect him to save any given one (the advantage is with the taker for a reason) but to get sold on all five was really poor.

On 30/09/2020 at 23:02, Slojo said:

I've just realised I was rather complementary of Kepa by assuming he comes out in his 6 yard box, we're lucky if he moves off his goal line. 

And it also makes the set piece taker rethink their approach .. going away from the goal giving us more of a chance to save.. I am glad we had gotten rid of the Kepa handicap..

unfortunately the epl is not a place for smallish keepers.. going also by the troubles Pickford is facing.

4 hours ago, Jangz said:

And it also makes the set piece taker rethink their approach .. going away from the goal giving us more of a chance to save.. I am glad we had gotten rid of the Kepa handicap..

unfortunately the epl is not a place for smallish keepers.. going also by the troubles Pickford is facing.

Ive said this before. Kepa conceded goals from chances other keepers wouldn't even need to save. Corners and free kicks are whipped into the 6 yard box when that would just be collected 9/10 by a courtois or a cech, so the team try something different. Then last year we saw teams realise that kepa couldn't be relied on to save shots from outside the box, so they started to be attempted when that doesn't happen for other keepers. 

Mendy could improve our goals against record significantly without even touching the ball. 

Edited by bisright1
4 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Ive said this before. Kepa conceded goals from chances other keepers wouldn't even need to save. Corners and free kicks are whipped into the 6 yard box when that would just be collected 9/10 by a courtois or a cech, so the team try something different. Then last year we saw teams realise that kepa couldn't be relied on to save shots from outside the box, so they started to be attempted when that doesn't happen for other keepers. 

Mendy could improve our goals against record significantly without even touching the ball. 

Also the fact that him being a tall keeper means opposition don't attempt thunderbasterds soon as they have some space.