Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

On 04/10/2020 at 11:15, bisright1 said:

Ive said this before. Kepa conceded goals from chances other keepers wouldn't even need to save. Corners and free kicks are whipped into the 6 yard box when that would just be collected 9/10 by a courtois or a cech, so the team try something different. Then last year we saw teams realise that kepa couldn't be relied on to save shots from outside the box, so they started to be attempted when that doesn't happen for other keepers. 

Mendy could improve our goals against record significantly without even touching the ball. 

It got so bad with the Kepa situation that I would've been perfectly okay if the club went out and bought Tim Krul or Ben Foster for the season, just someone who has the experience and grasps the basics. 

I fully agree with you here, Mendy's presence alone will change things massively. Teams purposely targeted Kepa last season for his glaring weaknesses, you saw so many long range shots going in that weren't even good, and crosses and corners whipped in so close to the goal line. That can't be done anymore because we have a keeper who will do everything to stop that from happening. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He's likely to only miss the Southampton game if true. 

If we drop points in that game due to Kepa or Caballero, I'd be mighty pissed. That's another must win game for us to fall behind early on in the season.

2 hours ago, coco said:

Does it say anything in the rules about having 2 keepers in goal ? Kepa on the goal line (where else) and Willy on the 6yd line. Between them maybe just maybe they have a clean sheet in them.

Technically Willy could sit on Kepa’s shoulders and use his hands while Kepa uses his feet but we’d be very susceptible to the offside rule! 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Slojo said:

That save in the first half that deflected off Zouma was absolutely brilliant. A very strong wrist and still managed to smack the ball out of the box while off balance, something we've really missed for years now since Tibo.

Kepa would have saved it and palmed it into danger and it would have been blamed on one of the defenders by some people. 

This is what it feels like to have a proper goalkeeper. Hope it continues! 

12 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Kepa would have saved it and palmed it into danger and it would have been blamed on one of the defenders by some people. 

This is what it feels like to have a proper goalkeeper. Hope it continues! 

I wouldn't even bank on him saving it though, Kepa has some of the weakest wrists I've ever seen on a goalie. 

On 30/09/2020 at 13:53, Valerie said:

A lot of supporters don't even know what the Carabao Cup is:biggrin: I for one persist in callung it the League Cup.

Anyhow, good warming up match for Mendy. I couldn't watch it, so I can only go on the comments here. Despite the real result (minus the penalties I mean), he may give our defense the boost it needs. Wonder whether he'll get a start this weekend!

I too call it The League Cup, or when I forget what the current sponsor of it is,The Milk Cup😀 I know, I know...